Brexit vote > Trump > Le Pen (?) : worth it ?

I`m slightly shocked... I`ve just been listening to Radio 4`s "Correspondents Look Ahead To 2017", and one of them made a long shot prediction that Marine Le Pen, a fascist let`s remember, may get in as French President. He thought this could happen on the back of the Brexit vote and the Trump election (many people think the former was crucial to the latter). I have to say I have my doubts that the French NF will get in, the French voting system is very effective at preventing splits causing unexpected upsets and letting extremists in, but the fact a BBC correspondent was even putting it forward as a possibility is very worrying.

My question to all those who voted Leave in the Referendum, is this : if Le Pen does get in, along with Trump, was it all worth it ? And if it was worth it, how far would it have to go not to be worth it ? A far right Dutch leader ? A Facist in Germany ? Trade wars ? Actual wars ?

Why are you linking leave voters as being supporters of Le Pen? Do remain voters not get an opinion?

Perhaps that should have been the referendum question.

"Do you want the UK to leave the EU even if that means Americans will elect Donald Trump and the French will elect Marine Le Pen?"

As that wasn't the question, I'm not sure why you think leave voters should bear any responsibility for those outcomes.

Edited by Robin-H

Fascists are people too, I don't like that constant attacking of them. Usually this is done by the "liberals" who fail too see how hypocritical their stance on fascism is.

The liberals have done pretty poorly, perhaps it's time to let a fascist have a go in France.

I`m slightly shocked... I`ve just been listening to Radio 4`s "Correspondents Look Ahead To 2017", and one of them made a long shot prediction that Marine Le Pen, a fascist let`s remember, may get in as French President. He thought this could happen on the back of the Brexit vote and the Trump election (many people think the former was crucial to the latter). I have to say I have my doubts that the French NF will get in, the French voting system is very effective at preventing splits causing unexpected upsets and letting extremists in, but the fact a BBC correspondent was even putting it forward as a possibility is very worrying.

My question to all those who voted Leave in the Referendum, is this : if Le Pen does get in, along with Trump, was it all worth it ? And if it was worth it, how far would it have to go not to be worth it ? A far right Dutch leader ? A Facist in Germany ? Trade wars ? Actual wars ?

You wanted Europe, and still complain, there's no pleasing some.:hihi:

There is a tenuous link - populist parties often promise simple solutions to complex problems, that is part of their appeal.

Though I have a sense that people in America who voted for Trump will be disappointed. Demagogues usually do disappoint their electorate.

There is a tenuous link - populist parties often promise simple solutions to complex problems, that is part of their appeal.

Though I have a sense that people in America who voted for Trump will be disappointed. Demagogues usually do disappoint their electorate.

I'll take L00bs advice on this. He said Le Penn won't stand a chance because of what has been associated with FN in the past and that they might have done better with a change of name when the daughter took over. I'd agree with him.

But it's been a funny old year.

:hihi:

You been on the sauce again?

You are being incredibly silly, because time will only tell, whether it was worth all the upheaval as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU. Leave voters, voted about the future of the UK and are not responsible for the outcome of any other Nation's election.

Perhaps, if Mrs Clinton had been a more trustworthy candidate, then she would have become Madame President soon. However, Donald Trump will be the next President and it looks like closer relations are going to happen, between Russia and America, making wars between the big boys less likely.

Fascists are people too, I don't like that constant attacking of them. Usually this is done by the "liberals" who fail too see how hypocritical their stance on fascism is.

The liberals have done pretty poorly, perhaps it's time to let a fascist have a go in France.

Ah, yes. Those poor misunderstood fascists. Yes, let's have a fascist in charge of a major European nation - what could possibly go wrong?

I consider myself liberal - please explain why my loathing of fascism and fascists is hypocritical - frankly, I don't see it.

Why are you linking leave voters as being supporters of Le Pen? Do remain voters not get an opinion?

Little did I realise when I voted in the EU referendum that I was contributing to Carrie Fisher's early demise.

Ah, yes. Those poor misunderstood fascists. Yes, let's have a fascist in charge of a major European nation - what could possibly go wrong?

I consider myself liberal - please explain why my loathing of fascism and fascists is hypocritical - frankly, I don't see it.

A Liberal might declare war on them?