Will Arsenal sack Arsene?

Just wondering, because for years Arsenal fans (and just about everyone else) has felt that Arsenal are in desperate need of a top, top striker.

But they never sign one. In contrast they seem to have more midfielders than enough. Towards the end of last season off the top of my head Arsenal had the following midfielders on the books:- Senchez, Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicki, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberain, Walcott, El Mohamedy, Cocquelin, Ozil, Gnabry and Ramsey.

That's a lot of midfielders! Even now with Arteta and Rosicki gone, they've signed Xhaka.

In contrast their strikers were Giroud, Iwobi, Welbeck and Campbell. I know you need more midfielders than strikers but there's a big difference in quality between the two sets of players. Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey are top level midfielders imo, I don't think any of the strikers comes up to them in quality.

If you look at ManU they have added Ibrahimovic to Rashford, Martial and Rooney. Chelsea have brought in Batshuai alongside Costa. City have added Nolito to Iheanacho and Aguero. Spurs have Harry Kane.

Last season the papers were asking if Theo Walcott could play as an out and out striker. This year they're saying the same about Sanchez.

Arsenal have reportedly got £220 million in the bank. Fair play for them for running the club like a business and not a vanity project for billionaires, but why don't they splash the cash and buy a striker?

Because if they have another near miss of a season and they haven't bought a top striker, then I think the fans anger will reach a point where Wenger will be sacked.

Towards the end of last season off the top of my head Arsenal had the following midfielders on the books:- Senchez, Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicki, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberain, Walcott, El Mohamedy, Cocquelin, Ozil, Gnabry and Ramsey.

theyre buying up all the best midfielders so their opponents cant grab em :P

I think he'll retire before he is sacked.

This crops up every season and he's held on.

I think he'll retire before he is sacked.

This crops up every season and he's held on.

Correct. Arsenal will sneak in 4th again after Spurs and/or Liverpool implode again. Didn't they finish second last year?

I know they would have the fans go mad, but if they had signed someone like Defoe they could have won the title by now

Just wondering, because for years Arsenal fans (and just about everyone else) has felt that Arsenal are in desperate need of a top, top striker.

But they never sign one. In contrast they seem to have more midfielders than enough. Towards the end of last season off the top of my head Arsenal had the following midfielders on the books:- Senchez, Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicki, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberain, Walcott, El Mohamedy, Cocquelin, Ozil, Gnabry and Ramsey.

That's a lot of midfielders! Even now with Arteta and Rosicki gone, they've signed Xhaka.

In contrast their strikers were Giroud, Iwobi, Welbeck and Campbell. I know you need more midfielders than strikers but there's a big difference in quality between the two sets of players. Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey are top level midfielders imo, I don't think any of the strikers comes up to them in quality.

If you look at ManU they have added Ibrahimovic to Rashford, Martial and Rooney. Chelsea have brought in Batshuai alongside Costa. City have added Nolito to Iheanacho and Aguero. Spurs have Harry Kane.

Last season the papers were asking if Theo Walcott could play as an out and out striker. This year they're saying the same about Sanchez.

Arsenal have reportedly got £220 million in the bank. Fair play for them for running the club like a business and not a vanity project for billionaires, but why don't they splash the cash and buy a striker?

Because if they have another near miss of a season and they haven't bought a top striker, then I think the fans anger will reach a point where Wenger will be sacked.

You do realise Arsenal mostly play with one striker and two or three attacking midfielders behind that striker? At which point they have 4 strikers for 1 position and 5 attacking midfielders for two or three positions....

Seems pretty balanced to me! Also, Giroud gets a lot of stick, but last season he put 16 in the back of the net in the PL and 24 in total, that is a return of 1 goal every 2 games. Not bad, wouldn't you agree? Kane, Aguerro and Vardy scored considerably more but they are simply better goal scorers. Giroud does other work for the team as well. In the mean time those attacking midfielders have not been scoring any where near enough, so you could argue that he should have bought another Ozil type but then one that can score.

In my opinion if Arsenal needed to invest in one area above all else it would be in defence. Mertesacker and Koscielny are OK, nothing more, nothing less.

You do realise Arsenal mostly play with one striker and two or three attacking midfielders behind that striker? At which point they have 4 strikers for 1 position and 5 attacking midfielders for two or three positions....

Seems pretty balanced to me! Also, Giroud gets a lot of stick, but last season he put 16 in the back of the net in the PL and 24 in total, that is a return of 1 goal every 2 games. Not bad, wouldn't you agree? Kane, Aguerro and Vardy scored considerably more but they are simply better goal scorers. Giroud does other work for the team as well. In the mean time those attacking midfielders have not been scoring any where near enough, so you could argue that he should have bought another Ozil type but then one that can score.

In my opinion if Arsenal needed to invest in one area above all else it would be in defence. Mertesacker and Koscielny are OK, nothing more, nothing less.

They are great to watch at times but do my head in tippy tappying about instead of shooting. agree Giroud is Ok but a big sissy for me more bothered about damaging his hairstyle than getting stuck in!

Yes, I do realise that. But whichever striker you play at Arsenal they are not as good as the strikers that their opponents can call on. When you have £220 million plus in the old current account this seems a bit of a false economy.

Yes, I do realise that. But whichever striker you play at Arsenal they are not as good as the strikers that their opponents can call on. When you have £220 million plus in the old current account this seems a bit of a false economy.

How much did Pogba cost? Now try that for a proven scorer in the PL.

Vardy is 30 and would still command 25 million at a minimum. Not Arsene's style. Kane is young and the leading English striker, he'd be close to Pogba's sum and there is no way Tottenham would entertain a call from Arsenal. The others are already at top clubs and will see no need to move.

In Europe it is a similar picture, all the key strikers (let's call it top ten) are already at huge clubs, arguably higher in standing than Arsenal by quite some margin.

Having said that, I think he missed a trick with not snapping Janssen up before Tottenham got to him. Once that lad finds his feet he will be a 20 goal a season guy.

Yes, it's going to be interesting to see how Janssen does at Spurs. Re Wenger, maybe Arsenal fans were spoiled by having strikers like Henry and Van Persie in the not too distant past. They've never really replaced Van Persie (which would be difficult, I know). I can't remember the exact circumstances why Arsenal sold him to Man U but I don't suppose Gunners fans enjoyed him being sold to one of their main rivals. Especially as Man U won the title in Van Persie's first season with them.

I think it all adds to their frustration.

Yes, it's going to be interesting to see how Janssen does at Spurs. Re Wenger, maybe Arsenal fans were spoiled by having strikers like Henry and Van Persie in the not too distant past. They've never really replaced Van Persie (which would be difficult, I know). I can't remember the exact circumstances why Arsenal sold him to Man U but I don't suppose Gunners fans enjoyed him being sold to one of their main rivals. Especially as Man U won the title in Van Persie's first season with them.

I think it all adds to their frustration.

Van Persie is an interesting case, he was known as a very talented but troublesome character at Feyenoord and Arsene picked him up when he was still young (20/21 I believe) his first few years were purely about making him more professional and develop his raw talent, once that project was complete he became a key-striker, but it took time and effort by Wenger to get to that stage.

That is what longevity can do when it comes to managers and why it is bad for football in general that managers get chopped and changed all the time. He didn't just do it with Van Persie either, lots of Arsenal's current best players have been developed in similar fashion.

When the board decide he has to go he could be made Director of Football