South Africans in Sheffield

Hi all!

Is there a community of South Africans in Sheffield or Chesterfield. I have just moved from Johannesburg, South Africa and would love to correspond with fellow South Africans.

Sonet

I lived in South Africa for several years in the 1990s so know the tell tale South African accent.

Most of them in Sheffield are blacks, just like they are there.

Edited by blake

Not South African, but Dutch. If you want to talk the local lingo with me, my wife and my Dutch neighbours feel free to PM :) (once you have five messages on the board, it's a limitation).

I know a few SA's as well, only one in Sheffield and lost contact with her, but can always try and message her.

people from the Netherlands who may or not be from Holland but who do speak the Dutch language, do sometimes claim a kind of affinity with Afrikaners and in particular the Afrikaner language. And yes, it's true that Afrikaans as a language is closer the Dutch language than any other European language.

what Dutch speakers usually say in South Africa, when they hear Afrikaans being spoken, is that it's really quaint sounding and old-fashioned. It sounds almost like English used to be spoken in the 16th century to English speakers, like in Shakespeare's time, except with all these African (or should that be Afrikan?) words and idioms thrown in.

don't forget it is not just only white people, who's first language is Afrikaans. It's almost always Cape Coloured's people first language too. There is many different kinds of South Africans however they generally tend to speak in English with a broadly similar South African accent no matter what the colour of their skin is, or what their first language is.

Edited by blake

Hi All!

I would love to speak to Dutch / Afrikaans speaking people but also just want to connect with South Africans from all languages and cultural groups!

Beware of Rhodesians. When you hear a southern African accent on the bus, they're probably going to be from Zimbabwe.

I lived in South Africa for several years in the 1990s so know the tell tale South African accent.

Most of them in Sheffield are blacks, just like they are there.

Yes, funny that, isn't it.:loopy:

25 years ago when I was a kid and thinking about going there and keeping my eyes open for South Africans and looking for tips, I used to look out for South Africans and in those days most and in fact nearly all, of the South Africans I would see in Britain were white. But that's certainly not true any more.

I get quite a few African customers, you can usually tell just by looking at them if they are Africans and not Caribbeans, I always ask them which country they are from though usually I have a fairly good idea from their accents. I can spot the difference between typical western, eastern and southern African accents. #1 is of course Somalia. #2 is Nigeria, not a surprise, as it is by far the most populous African country. #3 is Zimbabwe. #4 is South Africa but very few of the ones I see these days, unlike before, are white.

There are lot's of Afrikanner's in Sheffield, I know where you will find one of them, he's a homeless guy who used to sell the big issue outside Tesco on eccy rd, you will now find him sleeping and living in the underpass at the end of eccy rd.