Echo Dot..how to do..

That did the trick, thank you!

Is there a list on TuneIn of the exact name of stations so we can figure this out ourselves the next time they change the name?

See the link I provided above

Thanks, Pete. That list has some items that don't seem to work as trigger words on the Echo, but you inspired me to have a look around.

Here's a link that might be helpful as well. I obviously haven't tried everything, but after a little sampling it seems to be decent:

http://tunein.com/radio/Sheffield-r100790/

Half the "fun" is figuring out what exact phrase works.

I'm loving my Alexa, I have paired her to my heating, lights (Hue) and she will be connecting to a Harmony hub soon.

As i had heating hive was easy.

I didn't have any smart lights before though so went through the decisions on which to go for, Hive has a limited range, and the Skill while good isn't perfect (you still have to say 'ask hive to do xyz). I looked at switches but due to UK wiring this was a no no (plus it would cast a bomb due to most rooms having atleast 2 switches!!

In the end I went with Hue as they are the market leader and have many bulbs of their own and many other bulbs will work with them (lightwave will for example). The leaving the switch on is not an issue, as my wife doesn't always like to use the Alexa commands or the app it's actually more convenient (she can flick the switch off/on and the light will operate as normal). And the app is great (I have morning routines that fade the lights in from about 0630 to wake us up).

Alexa integration and IFTTT with Hue is much better (I can simply say, Alexa turn the bedroom light on, or Alexa, dim the bedroom light 50 (percent)).

Overall loving the home automation, and when my harmony hub comes (with an extra dot for £10) i'll be able to automate even more(can then use cheaper IR plug sockets, as apposed to wifi plug sockets).

Hive is a strange beast. I have say "alexa. Tell hive to set heating to 18 degrees" and yet with hive lights. I can just say "alexa turn on bedroom light" or "alexa. Set bedroom light to 10%" No need to say hive at all

I'm loving my Alexa, I have paired her to my heating, lights (Hue) and she will be connecting to a Harmony hub soon.

As i had heating hive was easy.

I didn't have any smart lights before though so went through the decisions on which to go for, Hive has a limited range, and the Skill while good isn't perfect (you still have to say 'ask hive to do xyz). I looked at switches but due to UK wiring this was a no no (plus it would cast a bomb due to most rooms having atleast 2 switches!!

In the end I went with Hue as they are the market leader and have many bulbs of their own and many other bulbs will work with them (lightwave will for example). The leaving the switch on is not an issue, as my wife doesn't always like to use the Alexa commands or the app it's actually more convenient (she can flick the switch off/on and the light will operate as normal). And the app is great (I have morning routines that fade the lights in from about 0630 to wake us up).

Alexa integration and IFTTT with Hue is much better (I can simply say, Alexa turn the bedroom light on, or Alexa, dim the bedroom light 50 (percent)).

Overall loving the home automation, and when my harmony hub comes (with an extra dot for £10) i'll be able to automate even more(can then use cheaper IR plug sockets, as apposed to wifi plug sockets).

Isn't it annoying when you say "Alexa turn on the living room lights" and then realise that the wife turned them off at the switch?

And the cost of Hue bulbs. My kitchen has 8 GU10s alone, and front room has 10 metres of LED strip, add in the study (4 GU10) and bathroom (6 GU10) and the cost would be astronomical I think.

Hue GU10 on amazon £45 for 2.

That's £400 and we didn't do quite a few rooms! Another 9 GU10s in the house making it more like £600

The LED strip £65 for the 2m kit, £20 for each 1 metre extension, so that's £225, and I've no idea if it would be as bright as the professional tape it would replace!

I'm not even going to bother with the remaining bayonet fittings, it would be well over £1000 to replace all the bulbs though...

Isn't it annoying when you say "Alexa turn on the living room lights" and then realise that the wife turned them off at the switch?

And the cost of Hue bulbs. My kitchen has 8 GU10s alone, and front room has 10 metres of LED strip, add in the study (4 GU10) and bathroom (6 GU10) and the cost would be astronomical I think.

Hue GU10 on amazon £45 for 2.

That's £400 and we didn't do quite a few rooms! Another 9 GU10s in the house making it more like £600

The LED strip £65 for the 2m kit, £20 for each 1 metre extension, so that's £225, and I've no idea if it would be as bright as the professional tape it would replace!

I'm not even going to bother with the remaining bayonet fittings, it would be well over £1000 to replace all the bulbs though...

It's never been an issue, if it becomes one I'll add hue light switches too.

And yes the cost is high, and is it really with it to switch lights on and off? probably not.... But I love my gadgets and home automaton is a big one. I could use some other system, but hue works without any hassle.

The led strips are meant to be great, and as other manufacturers work with hue you can get much cheaper lights(innr, lifex, osram etc

), and even hue compatible led controllers, enabling you to use your current strips with hue.

My current strips ended up being 24v high performance strips. The easiest way to control them would be to switch the power on/off since they run through a 2 gang wall socket.

I could even use a dimmer I expect, so long as I don't expect it to actually dim them, just 'off' or 100%.