Giving up white bread for brown

Ok, so I have just given up white bread for brown. No particular reason, just have always known its not too good for you but never done anything about it in the past.

What kind of benefits will I be likely to experience? Only changed 2 days ago and don't expect any immediate change.

Me and my partner dont eat either we eat wraps its healthier.

You will see no changes. There are no advantages to brown bread, it's an old wives tale.

You will see no changes. There are no advantages to brown bread, it's an old wives tale.

That's simply not true.

OP you will not see a big difference, especially after two days! It's like eating two apples and expecting to see a difference.

That's simply not true.

OP you will not see a big difference, especially after two days! It's like eating two apples and expecting to see a difference.

Elaborate then......!

There is absolutely no advantage to brown bread, the only difference is it doesn't taste as good as white.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 15:38 ----------

' In some extremely lazy manufacturing, but inspired marketing, much of the ‘brown’ bread you’ll find in the supermarket is simply the same white bread with brown coloring, often caramel, added back into it. Hardly the healthier choice it’s made out to be.'

This sums it up.

Elaborate then......!

There is absolutely no advantage to brown bread, the only difference is it doesn't taste as good as white.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 15:38 ----------

' In some extremely lazy manufacturing, but inspired marketing, much of the ‘brown’ bread you’ll find in the supermarket is simply the same white bread with brown coloring, often caramel, added back into it. Hardly the healthier choice it’s made out to be.'

This sums it up.

Chip butties are not nice on brown bread.

Chip butties are not nice on brown bread.

That is very true!!!

Brown bread is not what you need - you need it to say wholemeal on the packet to be of any use - the benefit you will get is extra roughage in your diet.

A bit about white breads from Wikipedia:

"White bread typically refers to breads made from wheat flour from which the bran and the germ layers have been removed (and set aside) from the whole wheatberry as part of the flour grinding or milling process, producing a light colored flour. This milling process can give white flour a longer shelf life by removing the natural oils from the whole grain. Removing the oil allows products made with the flour, like white bread, to be stored for longer periods of time avoiding potential rancidity.

The flour used in white breads may be bleached, that is lightened further, by the use of chemicals such as potassium bromate, azodicarbonamide, or chlorine dioxide gas to remove any slight, natural yellow shade and make its baking properties more predictable. Some flour bleaching agents are banned from use in some countries."

Some gains to be had for switching to wholemeal with whole grains and seeds etc in it.

Supposedly more gains to be had for taking bread, rice, pasta and flour out of ones diet altogether.

Much has been written by byoth experts and cranks on this subject, make of it all what you will, but on the whole reducing the amount of white flour you consume is a good thing.

Wholemeal bread has always been my daily bread of choice, not for any health reasons but because I just prefer the taste and texture. I have nothing against a good white loaf and enjoy it now and then, but personally would rather go without than eat the sliced pap.