Panic attack during MRI scan

Have you had one? Has someone you know? If so do you know what caused it and did you overcome this panic?

My mother, who has struggled with claustrophobia, was concerned about panicking during her first MRI. Relaxation techniques -- especially square breathing -- helped her control the anxiety. For her second MRI, Mom's doctor arranged for an "open MRI" which doesn't have an enclosed chamber. If an open MRI isn't available, consider asking the doctor for a mild sedative.

Iv had two, their is nothing to be frightened of. I do understand why people might find it unnerving been in a enclosed tunnel no space to move around. But you are not in that long try to think of something else or take a cd player along to listen too while the scan takes place that's what I did .

I have had dozens of MRIs and had to take evasive action to prevent panic attacks when I first started having them due to my tumour.

My MRIs involve being put in a big metal collar around my neck and shoulders, fastened to the bed and then being put in the scanner head first, and although the time spent in scanners has improved greatly over the years, some of the scans have lasted upwards of an hour. I'm not normally claustrophobic, but the not being able to move at all has got to me at some points.

The way that I've dealt with this over the years is to take my own ear plugs so I know that they are really comfortable and good at blocking out sounds, and then practice meditation whilst in the machine. (Small tip at this point- you really need to have learned and practised meditation away from a stressful situation first in order to use it to help keep yourself calm when feeling stressed, it's not the sort of thing that you can use just when you need it).

There's a lot of rhythmic noises from the machine which are good for composing music in your head if you're of that ilk too.

These days scans tend to last only 10-15 minutes, so if you can keep a grip on yourself for that long then you're home and dry.

Good luck :)

I have an appointment for a ct scan. Are they similar to mri scans, what is the difference?

I have had dozens of MRIs and had to take evasive action to prevent panic attacks when I first started having them due to my tumour.

My MRIs involve being put in a big metal collar around my neck and shoulders, fastened to the bed and then being put in the scanner head first, and although the time spent in scanners has improved greatly over the years, some of the scans have lasted upwards of an hour. I'm not normally claustrophobic, but the not being able to move at all has got to me at some points.

The way that I've dealt with this over the years is to take my own ear plugs so I know that they are really comfortable and good at blocking out sounds, and then practice meditation whilst in the machine. (Small tip at this point- you really need to have learned and practised meditation away from a stressful situation first in order to use it to help keep yourself calm when feeling stressed, it's not the sort of thing that you can use just when you need it).

There's a lot of rhythmic noises from the machine which are good for composing music in your head if you're of that ilk too.

These days scans tend to last only 10-15 minutes, so if you can keep a grip on yourself for that long then you're home and dry.

Good luck :)

An hour? Gosh that sounds awful. I've had a few MRI scans, usually only last minutes, but I'm claustrophobic so that's bad enough. I wear an eye mask and try to meditate. Just about get's me through it.

I have an appointment for a ct scan. Are they similar to mri scans, what is the difference?

MRI scans are done using magnets to vibrate all of the soft tissue nuclei, imaging soft and connective tissue really well. The thing that tends to scare people (other than the claustrophobia thing) with MRIs is that the machines are really quite noisy. No x-rays are involved with MRIs.

CT scanners look pretty much like MRI scanners (sliding bed, machine shaped like a large polo mint which the bed slides in and out of) but instead of magnetism they use x-rays and they image bones and other hard tissues really well. They are much quieter than MRI scanners.

Both scans are likely to take 15 minutes or less, both can be used as they are or with a contrast medium injected into a vein in order to image the tissues better and both can be a bit of a claustrophobia issue purely because of the being made to hold still while lying in a machine bit.

Hope that helps :)

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 12:06 ----------

An hour? Gosh that sounds awful. I've had a few MRI scans, usually only last minutes, but I'm claustrophobic so that's bad enough. I wear an eye mask and try to meditate. Just about get's me through it.

They weren't much fun, but compared to the 'we think you're dying' thing and the 2 months in hospital and losing the use of my right arm to save my life thing they were neither here nor there really.

Have you had one? Has someone you know? If so do you know what caused it and did you overcome this panic?

I had the same problem had 5 mri scans every time I panic what with the ear phones and that small space,playing that music didn't relax me either, I totally understand I had tumar on my spine I actually dredd the nxt one, like the other posts said try relax

Medusa, thanks very much. That is really helpful.

Meditation is good. If you are not an experienced meditator you can try distraction counting. The mind can only really hold one thought at a time so if you fill it with numbers it won't be able to think about panicking. Try counting down from 1000 in sevens. Also try meditative breathing. Breathe in counting 1234 hold the breath counting 1234, breathe out counting 1234, hold the breath counting 1234, repeat again and again. This is called square breathing and is very relaxing.

For the confined space, I'd simply suggest closing your eyes before you go in, & keep them closed. Then do a counting exercise to take your mind off the fact that you know it's a confined space.

Bear in mind that you are not held in place by the size of the aperture, but you may be held in place just to stop you moving about so the image isn't blurred. When I had an MRI they also gave me a panic button.

Just remember that if you do panic you won't be the first one they've had do so. They are listening all the time so they will know if you need them to stop the scan.

I've had quite a few which have lasted about an hour .The first time they put the head cage on I panicked a little because as Medusa said it's restrictive . My advice take some music you love ,close your eyes and think nice thoughts . They put a button in your hand so any problems and they can get you out quickly . The machine makes loud banging sounds ,nothing to worry about it's just the magnets moving . Nothing hurts you ,the more you relax the quicker it will be over . Remember to breath ! Good luck but you will be fine .