Why do Media Headlines often appear inapproprate.

Im sure most of us can recall seeing on the TV news or newspapers a story that is headlined, supposedly the most important news story of the day, which is in reality almost trivial when compared to some of the other stories which are not being presented as being so significant.

Take today's Independent (online version)

Headline or first atricle.

The gas attack by German troops 100 years ago today that changed the face of warfare forever

Interesting to some admittedly but pales in significance when compared to this

Home Office ordered to bring back five-year-old boy it deported to Nigeria

What ever your personal views on this it has important implications for the whole country so why is this not the main story.

I'm trying to discuss the way in which articles are presented in order of importance not the content of the examples.

Why does the media often seem to get it wrong...its not always the most interesting story of the day never mind the most significant or the one with most serious implications.

The second story has no implications for me whatsoever.

The second story has no implications for me whatsoever.

It was not my intention to discuss the articles seperately.

Open a seperate thread about one of them if you wish.

I cant work out what your gripe is then. If anything, NEITHER have any currently implications for most of the people in this country. The Independent can be a bit left of field when it comes to dictating what its headline is.

Im sure most of us can recall seeing on the TV news or newspapers a story that is headlined, supposedly the most important news story of the day, which is in reality almost trivial when compared to some of the other stories which are not being presented as being so significant.

The gas attack by German troops 100 years ago today that changed the face of warfare forever

What ever your personal views on this it has important implications for the whole country so why is this not the main story.

I'm trying to discuss the way in which articles are presented in order of importance not the content of the examples.

Why does the media often seem to get it wrong...its not always the most interesting story of the day never mind the most significant or the one with most serious implications.

'Kim Kardashian uses 100 year old German gas in daring rescue mission of deported five year old boy in Nigeria' is about what you'll find in the DM, bless their little cotton socks. Think yourself lucky ... at least it's not boring politics! :)

It was not my intention to discuss the articles seperately.

Open a seperate thread about one of them if you wish.

What was your intention then?

I would say that the gas story is of greater significance to be honest.

'Kim Kardashian uses 100 year old German gas in daring rescue mission of deported five year old boy in Nigeria' is about what you'll find in the DM, bless their little cotton socks. Think yourself lucky ... at least it's not boring politics! :)

Hahahaaa

I love that! made me chuckle :hihi:

However when they deal with issues people care about they get slated for it by charities they can't win.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/head-quarters/2015/mar/27/andreas-lubitzs-germanwings-crash-mental-health-stigma-depression

What was your intention then?

I would say that the gas story is of greater significance to be honest.

To discuss how the media by the order in which they present news items appear to rank the significance of one story over another, and how they justify that ordering or ranking of events.

You suggest they have "got it wrong". May I respectfully suggest that is merely in your opinion.

You suggest they have "got it wrong". May I respectfully suggest that is merely in your opinion.

There are of course much better examples, the one I gave was valid but there are other cases I'm sure we have all seen in the different medai formats that are far more blatent.

Trivia headlines and then later tales of death, destruction, abuse and moral wrongs. That can never be right. But you are entitled to your opinion