Food banks not being used properly

A rise in the use of food banks we all know about and no doubt a lot of people are using them correctly because they're in desperate need of a meal but I have seen first hand the misuse of food banks, I've witnessed a man come out with 2/3 shopping bags walk round the corner and throw some stuff in a black bin, I've also witnessed and heard heroin addicts laughing about what they've got and how much it's saved them

(I know these men were heroin addicts because I spend a lot of time working around the area where they live and have seen them making phone calls from a phone box and 10 mins later collecting from a shady looking man in a nice car)

Are the numbers of people using food banks being inflated by the misuse of them?

A rise in the use of food banks we all know about and no doubt a lot of people are using them correctly because they're in desperate need of a meal but I have seen first hand the misuse of food banks, I've witnessed a man come out with 2/3 shopping bags walk round the corner and throw some stuff in a black bin, I've also witnessed and heard heroin addicts laughing about what they've got and how much it's saved them

(I know these men were heroin addicts because I spend a lot of time working around the area where they live and have seen them making phone calls from a phone box and 10 mins later collecting from a shady looking man in a nice car)

Are the numbers of people using food banks being inflated by the misuse of them?

Mecky will be foaming at the mouth when he reads this.

I think this is exactly the case. Your observations will be correct.

Mecky will be foaming at the mouth when he reads this.

Unless the OP is on his ever burgeoning ignore list.

You clearly have too much time on your hands.

Why not volunteer to help out in your local food bank and then you can keep a better eye on who is using/abusing it?

You clearly have too much time on your hands.

Why not volunteer to help out in your local food bank and then you can keep a better eye on who is using/abusing it?

Or maybe I've observed this after nearly a year working in the same area.

Or maybe I've observed this after nearly a year working in the same area.

Or maybe you are just a small minded nosey parker who jumps to the wrong conclusions.

Or maybe you are just a small minded nosey parker who jumps to the wrong conclusions.

Or maybe the OP is observant and reaches the conclusion he has witnessed.

It's pretty hard to jump to the wrong conclusions when you witness somebody walk out of a food bank and throw what he's been given in a bin and also when you have stood feet away from known heroin addicts and heard them laughing about how they don't have to spend money in tesco because they've got free food.

So tell the staff at the food bank, if you suspect someone is abusing it.

Not everyone is eligible for food bank handouts - you have to be registered with Social Services and your application to use the food bank be validated. You cannot just turn up and demand food. The 'heroin addicts' you've been observing so closely may well be bona fide claimants. You do not know their circumstances.

And I suppose that in the end, the food bank staff cannot control what the recipients of the food do with it after leaving the premises.

Unless the OP is on his ever burgeoning ignore list.

I think I've had run ins with said member before but pretty civilized...ish !

I take it said poster has views on this matter? It was Friday the 27th of March around 11am I saw a bloke come out of st Thomas church (I think thats name) off infirmary road around 11am and saw a bloke who looked like an old rocker type with goatee and long hair in his early to mid 50's throw some tins of food into the bin.

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 22:56 ----------

So tell the staff at the food bank, if you suspect someone is abusing it.

Not everyone is eligible for food bank handouts - you have to be registered with Social Services and your application to use the food bank be validated. You cannot just turn up and demand food. The 'heroin addicts' you've been observing so closely may well be bona fide claimants. You do not know their circumstances.

And I suppose that in the end, the food bank staff cannot control what the recipients of the food do with it after leaving the premises.

This brings me to my point of is this inflating the use of food banks? I witnessed this within minutes so this could be happening all over the country.

The thing that's inlating the use of food banks is the fact they are getting more and more advertising. If you put a sign up saying free food. Some people will come and get it.

They are getting more and more airtime from the left leaning so they become a self fulfilling prophecy.