Zero Hours Contracts

No one is forced to accept a job with a zero hours contract. any one who goes for a job knows the terms set out in the contract before they sign it unless they dont read it , which in that case they have no one to blame but themselves . If you dont like the contract on offer , look elsewhere for a job. simples.
how many of your tenants (or any other landlords on here) are on zero hours contracts?

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 07:33 ----------

Shame that it would never work in practise and the only result is less jobs been offered to people. Employers who NEED to use zero hour contracts to function as a flexible, adaptable and profitable business will just find loopholes in any token legislation designed to sound good and win a few votes.

jd sports shop employs thousands of employees on zero hours contracts would this company go to the wall if they took them on full time ? why people stick up for employers who use these kind of services is beyond me :roll:

In a nutshell .....

Casual work where the employer says that you must take all work offered or they'll not offer you any more work.

In a nutshell .....

Casual work where the employer says that you must take all work offered or they'll not offer you any more work.

shouldn't be allowed :roll:

No one is forced to accept a job with a zero hours contract. any one who goes for a job knows the terms set out in the contract before they sign it unless they dont read it , which in that case they have no one to blame but themselves . If you dont like the contract on offer , look elsewhere for a job. simples.

Except that most jobs are 0 hours these days, and if you turn them down your benefit is stopped...

Except that most jobs are 0 hours these days, and if you turn them down your benefit is stopped...

Clearly nonsense.

-

(Not you specifically Anna)

What or how would you re/classify jobs that are quite obviously and/or necessarily zero-hours contracts?

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 03:43 ----------

(just realised this is 4 pages, and I haven't read) Someone may have already pointed this out.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/05/jobseekers-zero-hours-contracts

Jobseekers face losing their benefits for three months or more if they refuse to take zero-hours contract roles, a letter from a Conservative minister has revealed.

The change has been made possible because universal credit will automatically adjust the level of benefits someone receives depending on the number of hours they work. This means claimants should not face periods without the correct benefits when their earnings fluctuate or they change job.

Edited by chalga

The change has been made possible because universal credit will automatically adjust the level of benefits someone receives depending on the number of hours they work.

I thought universal credit was only being trailed in a few areas, is the date for all the country 2016?

I work 30 hours, and and will not claim any more hours in case I lose benefits.

I thought universal credit was only being trailed in a few areas, is the date for all the country 2016?

It's only been trialed in a few areas with a few people and only with the simplest and most straightforward claimants they could find. I've little doubt that the system will be dumped by the next Government.

I don't really understand how earning more can reduce someones income. If you did a full time job, say 37 - 40 hours, wouldn't that more than compensate for a reduction in benefits?

On the topic - my OH worked on a casual zero hrs contract, for a local authority. It suited him, as I worked full time. His colleagues were either retired or married to working partners, some with school age children. Having the freedom their zero hrs contracts offered suited them. It meant they could add to the household income, and be free to do other things. I accept some are badly run, with no thought for the employees, but they do suit some people.

Just on the news.

Edd Balls speaks about getting rid of zero hours contracts at an event set up by people on zero hours contracts, he didn't look to comfortable when quizzed by a reporter.

Tonight's TV programme (Channel 4) about the 'Sports Direct' company shows what it's like to be on a 0 hours contract, and it's not good...