UK gives £5m to help Nepal victims

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

Our country, I think, gives a lot of money in aid to other countries. In the grand scheme of things does 5 million not seem much, given that Nepal provides us with some of our best soldiers and has done for many years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk

Our country, I think, gives a lot of money in aid to other countries. In the grand scheme of things does 5 million not seem much, given that Nepal provides us with some of our best soldiers and has done for many years?

This is an instance of where aid is both right and something to be proud of.

Unfortunately, we give aid to countries that don't need it, and to countries where corruption is endemic to the point that the money is diverted into Swiss bank accounts, and little if any gets through to the people who need it.

What has happened in Nepal is tragic and I hope we follow up monetary aid with practical assistance.

As you say they have been allies for many years.

During my service in the British Army we had occasion to come into contact with Gurkha troops several times .

They were fine soldiers in every way. I wouldn't begrudge a penny sent to aid Nepal

Edited by Harleyman

5 million not seem much, /QUOTE]

It's not bad within a day, over a weekend, with a disolved parliament. in the last stages of a general election. I don't have that under the mattress to get things going for a rescue mission thousands of miles away.

Judge in a month if need be, but the UK has a very good record at stepping up on these tragic occasions.

Is this a "pledge" or is the money there already? I only ask because after the Bam earthquake in Iran they only got about half (I forget the exact figure)of what governments pledged - it was the lowest percentage but that sort of thing happens a lot.

This is an instance of where aid is both right and something to be proud of.

Unfortunately, we give aid to countries that don't need it, and to countries where corruption is endemic to the point that the money is diverted into Swiss bank accounts, and little if any gets through to the people who need it.

What has happened in Nepal is tragic and I hope we follow up monetary aid with practical assistance.

As you say they have been allies for many years.

Yes, agreed.

This is the type of international aid to which nobody objects: urgent, purposed, of instant use, and not intercepted by kleptocracy.