Black friday! Fighting in Tescos

why is it all the Americanisms end up here in the UK ? watching the news this morning from a Tescos in London i thought i was watching the rioting in stores in America! looked like a scene from LA riots, why is it called Black friday:suspect:

I heard it was something to do with a lot of retailers for most of the year are basically in the red...(money-wise) and the run up to Christmas is when they make lots of money...therefore, their accounts go into the 'black'!....It seemed to make sense to me...But there might be some other explanation...

It describes the heavy traffic caused by the holiday and sales.

jb

Tesco don't come out of this well.

This should have been foreseen and a step up in security at their outlets should have been organised.

Yes, it's got them all over the news, but for the wrong reasons again and a lot of people are saying that Tesco should foot the bill for the police and emergency services that have had to be deployed.

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 09:50 ----------

Tesco direct website is still down too.

Just seems a stupid and greedy way to behave in my opinion

It's like vultures! What's wrong with these people?

For the past 4 yrs I have bought everything online for Xmas or given money because I cannot stand the chaos that ensues in the shops.

Tesco don't come out of this well.

This should have been foreseen and a step up in security at their outlets should have been organised.

Yes, it's got them all over the news, but for the wrong reasons again and a lot of people are saying that Tesco should foot the bill for the police and emergency services that have had to be deployed.

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 09:50 ----------

Tesco direct website is still down too.

Golden hour for the website was about 4.30 this morning - no problems then. That said I didn't see anything and thought "wow what a bargain" but I was only after a few specific things. Didn't see anything worth rioting over.

Was at Tesco Chesterfield last night,a few tellys with 20% off,whoopee!!

Massive queues

Waste of time.

Edited by gord115

Well l've got a pair of shoes and a kitchen tap so I'm happy enough. Is town packed with bargain hunters?

something similar happened in Sainsburys as well.

I got a Dyson but I don’t even know if I want it. I just picked it up,” Louise Haggerty, a 56-year-old hairdresser and waitress, said of her 1am trip to the Black Friday sales.

Frustrated with not being able to buy a Blaupunkt 40” TV reduced from £299.99 to £149.99, Haggerty rushed to pick up a Dyson Animal Vac, down from £319.99 to £159.99. “I don’t even know how much it costs, I don’t know even know if I’m going to buy it. I just wanted something,” she said. “There are lads in there three, four, five tellies. It’s not fair.”

This is sheer lunacy ^^^ :loopy:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/black-friday-sales-police-attend-supermarkets-amid-scuffles/ar-BBg5cjz?ocid=iehp

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 10:32 ----------

Is town packed with bargain hunters?

no not really. I noticed Currys had a sign up saying "we are open from 8am on black friday". There wasnt a soul in there :hihi: (other than than sales staff milling around looking bored)

Edited by small_hall

something similar happened in Sainsburys as well.

This is sheer lunacy ^^^ :loopy:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/black-friday-sales-police-attend-supermarkets-amid-scuffles/ar-BBg5cjz?ocid=iehp

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 10:32 ----------

no not really. I noticed Currys had a sign up saying "we are open from 8am on black friday". There wasnt a soul in there :hihi: (other than than sales staff milling around looking bored)

Yeah the website wasn't too inspiring to me, be ok if you want a big ticket item like a tv or freezer and aren't too bothered on brand and specifications I guess

Asda deals are similar if not a little cheaper, cheap stuff that you otherwise wouldn't normally buy.

There's a really cheap 7" tablet for £29, spec is abit behind the times but pretty good for the money.