The Homeless Christmas Shoebox appeal is here again

Last year the Homeless Christmas Shoebox appeal was just in Sheffield and generated a fabulous collection of things to help out those in the city which are living through the nightmare which is homelessness.

This year the appeal is also in Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield, Leicester, Derby, and Manchester, to bring a bit of Christmas cheer and some much needed necessities to the people who are homeless.

Please read and please share the facebook page, please make up a shoebox of essentials which could be the only gift that a homeless person receives this Christmas and please ask your friends, your friends' friends and your employers too if there's anything that they can do to help out too.

The appeals page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts

We're also looking for anybody who feels that they could help either by offering a drop off point for boxes, a transport vehicle to help move boxes around or businesses who feel that they could do something as a workforce to sponsor individual groups of young homeless people, since Sheffield has a particularly high rate of hidden homeless and young homeless people.

Any help gratefully received- please dig deep and remember, homelessness is a nightmare that any one of us could find ourselves in, given a few small changes in our circumstances.

Please don't use this thread for negativity or criticism. Positive thoughts and contributions only :)

Thank you all :)

:thumbsup:Thanks for that! Great cause!

Lovely. My girls, husband and I really enjoyed doing our boxes last year. A wonderful cause :-)

What a good idea.

I used to support the Samaritans Purse Christmas box appeal when I was at work - until I found out they were using the shoe boxes as vehicles for religious propaganda.

Last year the Homeless Christmas Shoebox appeal was just in Sheffield and generated a fabulous collection of things to help out those in the city which are living through the nightmare which is homelessness.

This year the appeal is also in Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield, Leicester, Derby, and Manchester, to bring a bit of Christmas cheer and some much needed necessities to the people who are homeless.

Please read and please share the facebook page, please make up a shoebox of essentials which could be the only gift that a homeless person receives this Christmas and please ask your friends, your friends' friends and your employers too if there's anything that they can do to help out too.

The appeals page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts

We're also looking for anybody who feels that they could help either by offering a drop off point for boxes, a transport vehicle to help move boxes around or businesses who feel that they could do something as a workforce to sponsor individual groups of young homeless people, since Sheffield has a particularly high rate of hidden homeless and young homeless people.

Any help gratefully received- please dig deep and remember, homelessness is a nightmare that any one of us could find ourselves in, given a few small changes in our circumstances.

Please don't use this thread for negativity or criticism. Positive thoughts and contributions only :)

Thank you all :)

I dont have Facebook but id like to offer a drop off point as i have plenty of storage and also my services to drive around and drop stuff off. Ill drop people off too if thats needed. Id really like to help if i can

:thumbsup:Thanks for that! Great cause!

I think so too :) Homelessness is one of the few things that still has the capacity to scare me because our comfortable life can be so precarious sometimes and I've known so many people lose their homes.

Lovely. My girls, husband and I really enjoyed doing our boxes last year. A wonderful cause :-)

Glad you enjoyed joining in, because the sight of the rooms full of boxes just before Christmas last year was enough to convert any old cynic to the power of ordinary people showing that they care for strangers.

What a good idea.

I used to support the Samaritans Purse Christmas box appeal when I was at work - until I found out they were using the shoe boxes as vehicles for religious propaganda.

Thank you for that prompt :) I can confirm that even though one of the charities which receives these boxes is the Cathedral Archer Project, no religious overtones or belief are required from either those helping out or those receiving help from the charity. It just happens to be based in the crypt under the cathedral.

I dont have Facebook but id like to offer a drop off point as i have plenty of storage and also my services to drive around and drop stuff off. Ill drop people off too if thats needed. Id really like to help if i can

Wow, thank you for that :) Can you email me your email address and which area of the city you're in and we'll get back to you when we're getting the network up and running? I'm on medusa@s-f.co.uk.

I think so too :) Homelessness is one of the few things that still has the capacity to scare me because our comfortable life can be so precarious sometimes and I've known so many people lose their homes.

Glad you enjoyed joining in, because the sight of the rooms full of boxes just before Christmas last year was enough to convert any old cynic to the power of ordinary people showing that they care for strangers.

Thank you for that prompt :) I can confirm that even though one of the charities which receives these boxes is the Cathedral Archer Project, no religious overtones or belief are required from either those helping out or those receiving help from the charity. It just happens to be based in the crypt under the cathedral.

Wow, thank you for that :) Can you email me your email address and which area of the city you're in and we'll get back to you when we're getting the network up and running? I'm on medusa@s-f.co.uk.

Any time. Im glad if i can help. Ive sent you an email with my details and a bit more about what i can offer :)

That's a lovely offer Member :)

I'd like to donate a shoe box or two but not sure what kind of things to put in there?

a great idea id love to help out anyway i can

what needs to go into the boxes please?

i will also check out the facebook page and post on both my business and personal facebook page

That's a lovely offer Member :)

I'd like to donate a shoe box or two but not sure what kind of things to put in there?

Im happy to make it. Ive been wanting to do something for so long now. Coincidentally i was talking to some relatives only Friday asking them for ideas of how i can help people directly. One suggested i strip for charity but once i showed them my man boobs that idea quickly disappeared. Then i log on here yesterday and Bingo! This fantastic Shoebox appeal catches my eye. Its such a great idea and im sure its going to do some good for some decent people who have fallen on hard times. If i can help in some way then im a very happy man.

Items for the boxes should be along the lines of

Toiletries and wipes, razors, socks, scarves, tinned or packet food - no alcohol please, sweeties especially boiled sweets. I'll post a more comprehensive list soon.

Thanks mort, I'm sure I can manage to make up a few boxes :)