The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

UKIP + 22%

Lib -17%

Seems obvious to me where the lib vote went.

Libs have always struck me as particularly stupid flaky people..... but switching from Lib to UKIP really is a giant leap.

UKIP + 22%

Lib -17%

Libs have always struck me as particularly stupid flaky people..... but switching from Lib to UKIP really is a giant leap.

That's no way to talk about your bedfellows in government :hihi:

UKIP + 22%

Lib -17%

I actually think the Lib Dem vote has mainly gone to Labour and that Labour has lost a lot more of its' core vote to UKIP than it thinks.

It would be really interesting to see what would happen to Labour's current share of the vote (in the polls) if Clegg went before the next general election and a new leader won back support the Lib Dems lost when Clegg took them into coalition with the Tories. Perhaps the key to a Tory victory is the Lib Dems getting a new leader?

No, Labour knows it's losing a chunk of support to UKIP but it's taken them a long time to realise it after assuming it would hurt the Tories primarily. The truth though is that a large chunk of UKIP's votes haven't been gained from the other parties, they've been picked up from people who haven't bothered voting for years or maybe have never voted, because they've felt so dissatisfied or apathetic towards a system they don't feel represents them. UKIP have been able to engage with people who've long been detached from the political establishment through their strong stances on hot-button topics, though I suspect a lot of them haven't looked too hard at the ultra-Thatcherite ideology that lurks beneath.

Although this article in the Economist discusses UKIP, I feel it addresses the issue of our big parties mucking about more effectively and it concludes with a point that is relevant to the LibDems so I am putting the link and synopsis here. The article begins by explaining that the Tories AND Labour are beginning to pander to the 'disgruntled' UKIP voters:

There are three problems with this approach. First, Britain’s EU membership and high level of immigration bring it huge benefits in terms of economic growth, cultural vibrancy and clout. Abandoning either would, in this paper’s view, weaken the country in a multitude of ways. Indeed, the two other parties should spend far more time pointing out the contradictions in UKIP’s back-of-a-beer-mat economics.

(I don't agree personally with the second point it makes, so I am leaving that for you to read.)

The third problem is that, in trying to placate these irreconcilables, the mainstream parties risk alienating a larger, milder group of voters, who fear the consequences of leaving Europe and dislike their leaders bashing immigrants (see article). The lesson of every election for three decades is that the path to power lies on the centre ground.

And the above is what Nick Clegg has actually understood really well going into this election - there is a large group of voters who are increasingly getting worried/annoyed/fed up of hearing the constant stream of whining and blaming that is coming from Westminster and a specific demographic, they will feel that the safest way to vote is LibDem (if they can get over the populist position that Clegg "betrayed" students.

It is because of this that I think that the LibDems will not do half as bad as a lot of people are making out.

today nick clegg jumped into the row over Ched Evens, saying that the board should 'think' about rehiring him. I am not a football fan don't support any team, but if the man was a van driver,electrian, plumber would clegg be saying don't employ him or would he be saying he's served his time (to get him off the dole). it will be a brave person to run onto the pitch after this.

Oh please say it ain't so!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/27/nick-clegg-losing-seat-poll_n_6231382.html

If Sheffield were to lose such a major and influential figure like this - who would there be to "fight our corner" at the heart of government?

You mean selling Sheffield down the river over Forgemasters, sold out to the Liberal voters, students and the entire nation?

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 18:26 ----------

More on Clegg http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/cycling-row-deepens-as-sheffield-misses-out-on-214m-cash-pot-1-6976706

Did you actually read that article Mecky?

A row over Sheffield Council’s commitment to cycling has moved up a gear - after the city missed out on new funding.

The council did not apply to be a ‘cycling ambition city’ last year so could not access the grant but authority chiefs said they had not been given the ‘opportunity’ to apply.

Meanwhile a Green party motion before Sheffield councillors next Wednesday calls for ‘action not words’ on improving cycling.

It refers to a survey by cycling charity CTC which listed Sheffield as bottom of a league for councillors supporting its Space for Cycling campaign.

Mr Clegg said: “After the huge success of the Tour, there is a huge appetite from local people to take up cycling.

“The rewards of encouraging more people to cycle could be massive. In Government, we have put the money down and asked local authorities to jump on their bikes and get us to the finish line.

“Unfortunately local Labour councillors didn’t even enter Sheffield into the race.”

Did you actually read that article Mecky?

A row over Sheffield Council’s commitment to cycling has moved up a gear - after the city missed out on new funding.

Quote:

The council did not apply to be a ‘cycling ambition city’ last year so could not access the grant but authority chiefs said they had not been given the ‘opportunity’ to apply.

Meanwhile a Green party motion before Sheffield councillors next Wednesday calls for ‘action not words’ on improving cycling.

It refers to a survey by cycling charity CTC which listed Sheffield as bottom of a league for councillors supporting its Space for Cycling campaign.

Quote:

Mr Clegg said: “After the huge success of the Tour, there is a huge appetite from local people to take up cycling.

“The rewards of encouraging more people to cycle could be massive. In Government, we have put the money down and asked local authorities to jump on their bikes and get us to the finish line.

Unfortunately local Labour councillors didn’t even enter Sheffield into the race.

It says it all. Folk like mecky wear blinkers and would vote for a monkey if it had a red rosette. There is no point in the written word as their eyes see what they want to see and not what is in the text.

It would be really interesting to see what would happen to Labour's current share of the vote (in the polls) if Clegg went before the next general election and a new leader won back support the Lib Dems lost when Clegg took them into coalition with the Tories. Perhaps the key to a Tory victory is the Lib Dems getting a new leader?

And which Lib Dem could actually do all that for the party, given the mess they are in right now?

The Lib Dem leadership really is something of a poinsoned chalice.