LED lighting in the house

They do need drivers as do CFL lamps. For replacements for normal lamps the driver is built into the base of the fitting under the bulb so you fit the driver when you fit the new LED lamp.

And it's the driver electronics that would fail, hence why the 50,000 hrs lifespan isn't always accurate.

And it's the driver electronics that would fail, hence why the 50,000 hrs lifespan isn't always accurate.

That number should refer to the lamp as a whole unit and it's much easier to build a drivers for an LED than it is for a negative resistance device like a fluoro tube.

They do need drivers as do CFL lamps. For replacements for normal lamps the driver is built into the base of the fitting under the bulb so you fit the driver when you fit the new LED lamp.

OK thanks. I am still a bit confused as Pete says post 18 that he got an LED bulb from the car boot sale and simply replaced the “old type” bulb that was in the cooker. What would be the situation there in respect of the driver. I got the impression that the old type light in his cooker would need the LED driver. I think he only changed the bulb though. Confused. :help:

Over the last 12 months or so we have replaced every bulb in our house for LED, we worked out that if we had all the old bulbs on we would burn the equivalent of 1200 Watts, we have just added up the LED version and we now would burn just under 200 Watts, what a massive difference that will add up to over the years on our bills.

Also the LED bulbs appear to last far longer than the standard GU10/HALLOGEN/CF type, they average around 8 to 10,000 hrs, where as the LED that I have will supposedly last for around 35,000 hrs.

Just be aware that there are 2 main differing types,

Warm White is a softer more yellow light that is closer to the light given off by a traditonal halogen spotlight, therefore, warm white is better suited for living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms.

Day/Cool White is a much brighter white that is best suited for kitchens, utility areas and bathrooms.

That number should refer to the lamp as a whole unit and it's much easier to build a drivers for an LED than it is for a negative resistance device like a fluoro tube.

It's MTBF, but I'm pretty unlucky to have had two units fail after just a few hours use (if it's accurate).

---------- Post added 21-11-2014 at 16:04 ----------

OK thanks. I am still a bit confused as Pete says post 18 that he got an LED bulb from the car boot sale and simply replaced the “old type” bulb that was in the cooker. What would be the situation there in respect of the driver. I got the impression that the old type light in his cooker would need the LED driver. I think he only changed the bulb though. Confused. :help:

If the cooker was already a low voltage DC bulb then there's no reason it couldn't drive an LED directly, most likely the bulb just had the necessary electronics built in though.

---------- Post added 21-11-2014 at 16:07 ----------

Over the last 12 months or so we have replaced every bulb in our house for LED, we worked out that if we had all the old bulbs on we would burn the equivalent of 1200 Watts, we have just added up the LED version and we now would burn just under 200 Watts, what a massive difference that will add up to over the years on our bills.

What's the initial outlay though.

Given a realistic estimate of the usage, how long will it take to break even?

Regarding the idea of simply unscrewing the old bulb and replacing it with an LED bulb (like some have mentioned) which is good if that can be done, is it really that easy? I ask that because I thought that LED lights had to have drivers to run them?

Unscrewing and replacing works for 230v circuits as the drivers are built in to the bulbs. It's a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to 12v low voltage lighting and indeed you will more than likely have to change the driver (known as transformers for Halogen). Most won't work correctly with LEDs and ones that do will have the wrong wattage rating. If the transformer does work with LEDs you could possibly use one transformer to run 10 or more lights to match the wattage but you'd be better using proper LED drivers though as they will run cooler and you won't lose all your light if one fails .

Having just had LED fitted throughout I can highly recommend them. Just make sure you get warm white! Led hut is a good place to buy them.

Led hut is a good place to buy them.

30% off on Black Friday too.

Having just had LED fitted throughout I can highly recommend them. Just make sure you get warm white! Led hut is a good place to buy them.

Unless it's a functional light you want, like a kitchen or bathroom. Then get cool white.