Which Demolished Sheffield Building Would You Rebuild?

The one building i liked was Sutherland Rd Baths ... Anyone got a picture.
Here are two links to photos on the picturesheffield.com site.

Here are two links to photos on the picturesheffield.com site.

-----------------

Thanks Hillsbro for pics, good old days:hihi::hihi:

The Nags Head Shales moor so many happy memories .

The former John Banner's store on Attercliffe Road and the building on the corner of Attercliffe and Staniforth Road are other examples of Art Deco architecture, similar to the blitzed Burton's shop.

Many Sheffield cinemas were also built in that period. Remember the Regent,

re-named the Gaumont, in Barker's Pool?

echo

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 12:40 ----------

Ahhh, John Banners.

I took a Saturday Job there in 1960/1. Met my dear late first wife there. Lots of lovely memories. A lot different inside then. More like 'Are you being served ?' times. Certainly hope this building isn't demolished in my lifetime.

This picture taken when I was 4/5. Could well be inside the building (far left of pic) with my Mother shopping. We would have either walked or taken the number 5 bus from Grimesthorpe :)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13155&pos=8&action=zoom&id=16039

Edited by PeterR

The Empire theatre ,along with the Palace Union Street and the Hippodrome .

Three iconic Sheffield buildings in an area of just a couple of hundred yards making it an exiting time in Sheffields night life.

Why do they destroy the best things in Sheffield history.

Hi,

I grew up on Stanley Street (1937-1960) and you reference to Art Deco in the Wicker!!!, of all places almost blew my mind (what's left of it).

The name: Stanley House doesn't means anything to me but the only building that could possibly fit your description was on the right hand side as you came "in" from the Wicker itself. In my day, it belong to a wholesale company (possibly check-trading as well) called Caplan.

As for architectural styles in the Wicker/Stanley Street area, the principle style back then was most likely "Random Rubble".

Regards

That's the one.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27298&prevUrl=

It's still standing. You can see it on StreetView.

That's the one.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27298&prevUrl=

It's still standing. You can see it on StreetView.

And so it is Jim, lived the first 40 years of my life in Pitsmoor and walked past that building countless times without realizing it's significance. While we're about it, does anyone know of 'Art Deco' HOUSES in Sheffield?

And so it is Jim, lived the first 40 years of my life in Pitsmoor and walked past that building countless times without realizing it's significance. While we're about it, does anyone know of 'Art Deco' HOUSES in Sheffield?

The Art Deco house at the top of Springfield Road. I started a thread about it when it was for sale a few months ago, it sold fast despite the high price.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1398774

The Traveller's pub that stood on the Moor never saw it myself long gone before I was born. But what a cracker of a design for a pub. Just need to win the lottery and it be rebuilt in no time, the first pint on me.

pavillion at bramall lane

Have just spent an hour reading this thread and wallowing in nostalgia (hope that's not illegal yet!). So many brain cells stirred that I need time to absorb all the interesting posts from everybody before inputting my two-penn'orth.

Thanks guys and gals :thumbsup: