Work experience in engineering needed

Hi,

I am a master's student at the University of Sheffield in structural and concrete engineering. I submitted my dissertation today.

I have been looking for a job for a while, but it seems to be not easy for an international student here.

Now I am thinking about work experience placement in engineering

If anyone suggest me an idea or a place or a website, I would be grateful.

Thank you

Ahmed

Have you tried approaching companies via HR department or just walking in to a company with your CV?

I applied quite often but online not by hand

Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time or know the right person or agency.

When I was unemployed I was looking for work myself and via agencies, most of my industry recruit via agencies. I had worked for an agency a few years previously on temp to perm but they said they had nothing. One day they phoned me up at 4pm and asked me if I could go and work for someone for a few months but they wanted me to go in the next morning. I never even had an interview with the employer. The agency knew my reputation so they just placed me. While I was there a permanent position arose in the section I was working in but it wasn't for me so I turned it down.

The irony is that I had applied to work for the same company for a position they were currently recruiting for and I didn't get an interview for that. It was a different position but it was very similar. Both were lab staff but one was in QA/production but the other in R&D. If I hadn't worked for that agency before I wouldn't have been asked to go in.

Thank you so much for sharing ur story i really need to hear more from u. I applied for hundreds for jobs here but the problem is no body tells what is ur problem so i could improve. One big thing i believe is that i am not eligible to work in the UK and i need sponsorship to have a job. i will keep trying. wish me luck Chez2

Thanks

I don't understand what the sponsorship you mention entails. How can someone can employ you if you aren't eligible to work in the UK?

By the way, text speak isn't allowed on the forum.

I thought India was the place to be!!!

---------- Post added 05-09-2015 at 14:48 ----------

Thank you so much for sharing ur story i really need to hear more from u. I applied for hundreds for jobs here but the problem is no body tells what is ur problem so i could improve. One big thing i believe is that i am not eligible to work in the UK and i need sponsorship to have a job. i will keep trying. wish me luck Chez2

Thanks

Can't the University Careers Centre help with some advice?

What do you mean by India was the place?

It has a growing economy with lots of engineers needed.

That's what the media report on the Business sections.

Thought you would know being in that kind of work.

Have you sought advice from the Careers Centre?

oh i see.. i will check that thanks for sharing. even though i don't speak their language. I am a native speaker of Arabic.. i will check the career services again and see what will happen

Thanks Ricky

oh i see.. i will check that thanks for sharing. even though i don't speak their language. I am a native speaker of Arabic.. i will check the career services again and see what will happen

Thanks Ricky

It's either India, China and Brazil. all growing countries.

All the best.