On yer bike, Rotherham to Wicker Sat 5th Sept 4pm start.

For anyone who is looking for a gently-paced bicycle ride, this is the ideal event for you!* The proposed route is along the towpath to Meadowhall, then along the Transpennine Way to The Wicker, Sheffield before returning to Rotherham.*

Virtually flat (but technically downhill on the return leg, with a total drop of 45 feet) and almost completely on cycle tracks rather than public roads.* For anyone undecided or who has never tried cycling before, I can say this is an ideal first opportunity. (There has never been an occasion when I have not felt better in mind & body than after cycling).

Being alongside the calm waters of different sections of the canal, while being surrounded by the late summer greenery of trees & bushes. The route is “aesthetically pleasing” all round. It’s not a race. It’s a leisurely meander with established friends and potential new ones.

For anyone arriving by car, there is three hours' free parking in the RED zone of the Old Tesco car park at Forge Island (S60 1QE);* as parking restrictions end at 18.00, this means that anyone arriving after 3pm can park free all evening (hence the 4pm start time).

Meet outside the Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council offices at Riverside House, Main Street, S60 1AE, we'll be on bicycles!

I presume you realise the condition of parts of the canal towpath, especially after heavy rain.

Some of the bridges the riders will pass under, require a great deal of care for the inexperienced, otherwise you are in the water.

Please take this as intended from a regular user of the towpath and a very experienced cyclist

Enjoy the day, hope all goes well !

Hi Running man. Thanks for your post, but on THIS route what you describe does not apply. We exit the the canal at the M/hall turn-off,(most of our route is actually on the five weirs walk) so no bridges with narrow paths to go under (which are further along the canal path).

I cycled the full route today (Fri) on my own to ensure all is ok, and it was perfect from start to finish. I`m very familiar with the canal path myself. (One year I cycled 1200 miles mainly on there). However, thank you for your concerns.

Hi Running man. Thanks for your post, but on THIS route what you describe does not apply. We exit the the canal at the M/hall turn-off,(most of our route is actually on the five weirs walk) so no bridges with narrow paths to go under (which are further along the canal path).

I cycled the full route today (Fri) on my own to ensure all is ok, and it was perfect from start to finish. I`m very familiar with the canal path myself. (One year I cycled 1200 miles mainly on there). However, thank you for your concerns.

Hi Janus and thanks for your correction, apologies for my intrusion !

Hope the day goes well.

just drove to the royal mail offices near to where the meet is going to be and theres a lot of police activity (probably due to another march) hope they cleared off (the marchers) for you by the time of the meet :thumbsup:

Runningman..

No it’s fine mate, you were looking out for us. I’ve always tended to stick to the same cycle routes as opposed to being more adventurous. (The Sheff part of the route-5 weirs, was originally brought to my attention about five years ago by Scoobz from the sheff walking group, when he was hosting an evening walk on there).

If as a regular (off-road?) cyclist you are familiar with other routes that are ideal for cycling on, I would be keen to learn (from you) of some new routes that you feel would at least be suitable to try.

I’ve tried the other direction of the canal in a small way, i.e towards Swinton. The path becomes a bit restricted at the Aldwark section and the path did seem to be blocked off a few years ago. The actual canal of course goes to Donny (strawberry Island boat club) and presumably many miles beyond.