Eckington during the 50,s & 60,s

Anyone on the Forum from Eckington? I spent my younger years there in Pipworth Lane during the 50,s and 60,s. Many happy memories of this place, there was the river Moss & Rother, 3 train lines, underground tunnel from the old canal under the fields. As children we were out exploring all of these places, in all weathers, parents hardly ever saw us. We only came home to eat and go to bed, we had so much fun, never came to any harm, despite doing a lot of silly things. If only our present generation could put down their laptops, play stations, TV,s etc and get out and have fun like we did, mind you it was so much safer from predators in my day than at present.

There was a great character called Frank Alcock who had a scrapyard opposite our house in Pipworth lane, he only had a bath once a year. He thought that the less you washed the longer you lived, he was a great fellow, we spent a lot of time scrounging around in his yard, there was so much stuff there, old cars, tractors etc.

Delboy.

• Thanks 1

My late wife's family lived in eckington at that time on ducksett lane called Moyle

Did u know them??

Hi, I know Duckset Lane very well, but the name Moyle I don't know, sorry.

Cheers

Delboy

Hi Dereck,I am wed to one of your classmates,John Froggatt,who remembers you well,how is your twin?

Froggy would love for you to share memories of your mis spent childhood,but he can't talk now as he is stuffing his face with a pasty.

Hi John, how are you old mate? it's been a long time, are you still living in Eckington? I live in Melbourne Australia, been here since 1973. My wifes name is Sonia, we have 3 grown up children and 9 grand children. Terence my twin is over here also, he lives in Canberra, has 1 daughter only. I have been retired now for 3 years, enjoying life and doing a lot of travelling. We have been back to England many times for holidays over the years, send me a line or 2 and let me know how you are.

Cheers

Derek Clayton ( Delboy )

Hi Dereck,John (wife) here. I have been wed twice,latest for 25 yrs,we have six grown up kids between us,16 grandkids one gt grandbaby and another on the way.

Lived in Ridgeway for 20 yrs,moved further into Sheffield 8 yrs ago to be nearer shops,buses ect.

Have been retired seven yrs now,enjoying being a couch potato,busy doing nothing all day. My nephew recently emigrated to Os,New South Wales after retiring from the Marines.

We are having a beautiful spring, and the garden is nagging me to go and be nasty to the weeds,other half won't let me do this as I don't know the difference between said weeds and her plants,so hey ho,will carry on warming the settee.

Smashing to hear from you again,see you later,Froggy.

went to clowne tech 1980-84 with john buckley from ducksit lane,his dad had a haulage company in ecky.ian madeley from landsbury ave and robert clarke from ashmore ave.

went to clowne tech 1980-84 with john buckley from ducksit lane,his dad had a haulage company in ecky.ian madeley from landsbury ave and robert clarke from ashmore ave.

The John Buckley you mention sounds like the son of Jim Buckley, he was a close childhood friend of mine when I lived down Pipworth Lane.

Hi Derek, in the late 1950's I was at Birley Secondary School with a Dennis Clayton who lived in Renishaw, I think he had a brother,are you related? He was a great footballer in those days......gregconn

There was John froggat from eckington worked at Renishaw Park and a Denis Clayton from renishaw also.

This was early 60's

Wonder if the ones named here the same people

Hi Derek, in the late 1950's I was at Birley Secondary School with a Dennis Clayton who lived in Renishaw, I think he had a brother,are you related? He was a great footballer in those days......gregconn

I have a twin brother Terence, we both went to Westfield Comprehensive in Mosborough Sheffield. We both left this school in 1959, I was an OK footballer, my brother was hopeless at it.

Hi Dereck,John (wife) here. I have been wed twice,latest for 25 yrs,we have six grown up kids between us,16 grandkids one gt grandbaby and another on the way.

Lived in Ridgeway for 20 yrs,moved further into Sheffield 8 yrs ago to be nearer shops,buses ect.

Have been retired seven yrs now,enjoying being a couch potato,busy doing nothing all day. My nephew recently emigrated to Os,New South Wales after retiring from the Marines.

We are having a beautiful spring, and the garden is nagging me to go and be nasty to the weeds,other half won't let me do this as I don't know the difference between said weeds and her plants,so hey ho,will carry on warming the settee.

Smashing to hear from you again,see you later,Froggy.

Hi Froggy,

do you remember a friend of mine called David Rodgers, he lived on Pitt Street in Eckington. I last saw him in 1962, he was in a band called the Rave-Ons, have you any news what happened to him or where he is?

Cheers

Delboy