Know anything about Richards cutlers?

Can anyone please tell me about Richards (Cutlers) Ltd? When did they stop trading? Were they taken over and, if so, who by? Ta

I think the yanks bought the commpany in the late 70s ,my wife & her mum worked there up 1977.

Richards was situated where Wickes is now it mass produced scissors and whittle tang knives, the building it was said, was built to look like a department store because if it failed it could easily be turned into a store. I once went for a job there it was a very big place, on the ground floor there was a long line of rumblers churning away and they were massive, I didnt get the job Im glad to say as the noise was terrible.

my dad was a barrel plater at richards for approx a good dozen years to its demise in the mid 80's

I think the yanks bought the commpany in the late 70s ,my wife & her mum worked there up 1977.

My mum worked there for quite a few years too, painting pen knives.

She retired in about 1973 but really missed all her friends.

Richards was situated where Wickes is now it mass produced scissors and whittle tang knives, the building it was said, was built to look like a department store because if it failed it could easily be turned into a store. I once went for a job there it was a very big place, on the ground floor there was a long line of rumbelers churning away and they were massive, Ididnt get the job Im glad to say as the noise was terrible.

I thought Richards was where the Learn Direct offices are now, the pretty fascia of the old Richards Building was incorporated into the lower floors of the building.

PT

I thought Richards was where the Learn Direct offices are now, the pretty fascia of the old Richards Building was incorporated into the lower floors of the building.

PT

That building was PICKERINGS CARDBOARD BOX Factory and a very nice building to boot.

The original Richards Cutlers was at th corner of Broomhall St and Hanover St,opposite the old St Silas Church,and my Uncle worked their and used to get covered in a red substance which had a funny smell!and the buffer girls too, and we all know the stories about Buffer girls, or should do!all this was before the war,oops my age is showing!!

So, I have a lovely mother of pearl penknife that was found in my grandmothers garden in Italy and have opened it up today and it reads 'Richards, Sheffield, England with a little lighthouse-type drawing inscribed on it. How long was Richards open and would there be any point (scuse the pun) in getting it valued. It's dinky! xx

So, I have a lovely mother of pearl penknife that was found in my grandmothers garden in Italy and have opened it up today and it reads 'Richards, Sheffield, England with a little lighthouse-type drawing inscribed on it. How long was Richards open and would there be any point (scuse the pun) in getting it valued. It's dinky! xx

You might find that if it is a mother of pearl handled knife it could be a Joseph Rodgers one. Rodgers and Wolstneholm were based on Guernsey Road at Heeley until around 80/81. They were taken over by an American company, who also bought Richards. After a short while the Guernsey Road plant was closed (making way for the B&Q which is now Dunelm)and most staff moved in to Richards. From then on most things were branded Richards.

If it is a Joseph Rodgers one it would be worth more than a Richards one as their products were a whole lot more classier.

Don't know when Richards came in to being but know it closed in 1984.

I beleive Richards changed there name from Rickards during the early part of the war due to anti German feeling as did Viners (Wymeers). There is a thread about it some where on the Foruim.