Pubs down the Moor - help please

My other half is driving me mad by trying to remember a pub she and her mates used to go in back in the early to mid 70's.

She is it was down the bottom of the Moor. They have all tried to say it was the Wapentake, but I have showed them where the Wap was and that isn't it.

She is adamant they went in one at the bottom of the Moor.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions to the name of this place before I throttle her!!!

Don't really know. There's the Moorfoot Tavern. There was another pub I occasionally went to after work with my then Girlfriend, in the early 80s. - called "Somebody's Bar" - maybe Harry's Bar - but quite possibly a different person's name. It was a pub that served meals. It was odd because there was usually only me and my girlfriend in there. I imagined that when we didn't visit, the place would be empty. There was more staff than customers. I think they must have relied on the lunchtime trade, and only opened in the evening to prepare food for the following day.

Dempseys is right at the bottom of the Moor - then there is also Moorfoot Tavern that I believe has had many names over the years... Pumphouse was near the bottom of the moor - believe that this was knocked down recently... Then beyond the government buildings at the bottom is a 60's looking pub now called The Scholar, but has been called the R n B Bar and originally Landsdown...

The only other pub which I can't see mentioned is The Whetstone, which I think was just off The Moor, on Cumberland St?

The Pump......

Edited by satman2222

I've just thought of one that was just the other side of St Mary's Gate on London Road, but was classed as being 'at bottom o' t' Moor', and that was The Hermitage. I think it was still there in the mid 70's.

i remember whetstone margaret n john

the hermitage is where i had my 18th many moons ago

My other half is driving me mad by trying to remember a pub she and her mates used to go in back in the early to mid 70's.

She is it was down the bottom of the Moor. They have all tried to say it was the Wapentake, but I have showed them where the Wap was and that isn't it.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions to the name of this place before I throttle her!!!

Was it The Travellers ?

There was a pub on the bottom of the moor, i used to frequent late sixties, it was the travellers just about opposite atkinsons. Is this the one you mean ?

The travellers was opposite Williams Deacons Bank where I worked.

Think the barmans name was Shirley, He used to come in the bank.

The travellers was opposite Williams Deacons Bank where I worked. Think the barmans name was Shirley, He used to come in the bank.
I remember Shirley, and Doreen, from the Traveller's Rest. They were transvestites when most people had no idea what a trannie was! They were lovely, so funny, and always had a witty putdown for anyone who went too far. Shirley was platinum blond and Doreen wore spex, iirc.

The Travellers was the sort of pub where if your parents knew you were in there, they'd have had a heart attack. It was about 1 step up from the Barleycorn! :D

What about the Royal Oak at the bottom of Cemetary Road? That was a popular stopping off point on the Town pub crawl in the 60s/70s.