JohnOGaunt Pub in the 80s

in the early *0s the Johnogaunt pub "The Gaunt" was the best pub in sheffield. With Tony Tee sing-a-long, Shaggy dog Disco. and the fantastic regulars that went there in those days. What went wrong?

It started to go downhill the day the bloke walked in with a shotgun looking for someone, and it wasn't for a friendly chat. Then the change of ownership and the allowing of drugs to be used/sold within the premises. The old crowd moved out to pastures new. And, of course, people are creatures of habit. In that, if they go somewhere else and it's OK, they ain't gonna come back. Once you have lost the clientelle, they're gone forever.

Shame really. When it first opened, it was THE place to go. Sunday evenings, they used to begin queueing outsde from about 6.15pm (opening time was 7.00pm) - it was that popular. If you weren't in by 7.30, you didn't get a seat !!!!

I remember the Wednesday night heavy disco and Andy on the organ on Sundays.

If you can remember back to the mid 70's, when the stage used to be at the end of the pub, then your's truly used to be behind the mic on Monday evenings.

On one evening, we had a visit from the plod, and ,of course I cut the record playing, and played one by "The Police".

Tuesday evening I was at The Royal Oak at Intake, when guess who appeared, so I did the same thing.

Wednesday evening I was at The Ball, Intake standing in for Alan Dale who was on holiday, and they visited that one as well. Same thing.

Thursday evening, The Strad at Stadbroke. You better believe who turned up. As I was playing the Police record for them for the 4th time in 4 days, one of them came over and said "Do you run EVERY ----ing disco in Sheffield ?"

I told him that I was having Friday off but would he like to join us at the Executive Suite at Bramall Lane on Saturday evening as there was a private party, and as he was obviously a big fan of mine, I was sure I could arrange for him to gain access if he liked. I cannot repeat what his answer was !!!!!!

hehehe, My dad got barred from the gaunt, in the sixties, and seventies, more times than "soft Mick"! It wasn't a weekend without him or his pals having fought and been barred.

I WONDER which landlord barred ya dad, was it Brian, Colin, Graham, or Mick

sunday nights used to be great ,singers came from all over sheffield .

can anyone remember danny wild singing ? he was a good singer .

Well, I imagine, (knowing my father! :heyhey::hihi:) all of them would have barred him, at one time or another over the years... :thumbsup:

My poppa used the pub pretty much from moving onto the valley (pub built just after the houses I believe) until we moved off in the mid seventies (Although I'm sure he used it after we moved away, too, as my uncle lived on Ironside, so he'd have gone back for evenings out with Uncle.

sunday nights used to be great ,singers came from all over sheffield .

can anyone remember danny wild singing ? he was a good singer .

Yes I do he was great, Danny had a nasty accident when a ladder he was on brike and he fell breaking both his legs.

If it was the 1960's to early 70's it would have been Dennis "Skipper" Morris (think that was his name) he had three sons, Jeremy, Nicky and Justin.

did colin goddard use to be landlord at one time late 70s ???,remember him from the penguin shiregreen

in the early *0s the Johnogaunt pub "The Gaunt" was the best pub in sheffield. With Tony Tee sing-a-long, Shaggy dog Disco. and the fantastic regulars that went there in those days. What went wrong?

Saturday nights were fantastic can remember Tony a lot of the singers were also popular at the station hotel down wicker can remember a good singer called Lionel