Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

Does anybody know any history about neepsend lane s3 area just of rutland road ?

Does anybody know any history about neepsend lane s3 area just of rutland road ?

Way back in the '40's/50's I use to fetch Gas coke (in a barrow with cast iron wheels) from the Gas works there, also I used to go to a barber on Boyland Street to have my haircut.

There was also a plaque on the wall of the Hallamshire Steel Co. indicating the depth of the water there during the Sheffield Flood of 100 or so years ago. I also remember there was a cinema on the corner of Rutland Road.

Way back in the '40's/50's I use to fetch Gas coke (in a barrow with cast iron wheels) from the Gas works there, also I used to go to a barber on Boyland Street to have my haircut.

There was also a plaque on the wall of the Hallamshire Steel Co. indicating the depth of the water there during the Sheffield Flood of 100 or so years ago. I also remember there was a cinema on the corner of Rutland Road.

Frank Fleming the demon barber, sure i can remember he had a stuffed dog in the shop, the plaque depicting the flood depth seems to have gone missing.

It is interesting to look at the old pre flood maps for that area.

The Philadelphia area was quite a large area and the tilt hammer yards are shown with all the housing.

A lot of the area was re developed later.

Thought this might be of interest to you.

Happy Days!

My family in the 1800's used to live in the Neepsend area. They were there at the time of the Sheffield Flood and although there is no documented evidence that any of them died as a result of it there was talk of it. They also put in claims for loss of items at the time too.

I have to hand, a small book for the History of Neepsend, is there anyplace in particular you are interested in.

Well i work on neepsend lane next door to the gardeners rest pub the black building at the end for 9years up untill the flood and there use to be a marker on the wall on the corner building near bus stop showing were the last flood came to and some one told me there use to be houses all a long but now its all factorys and just wanted to know any history just around that area plus has any 1 got any old pics of that area or where i could find them on the net thanx ...

Well i work on neepsend lane next door to the gardeners rest pub the black building at the end for 9years up untill the flood and there use to be a marker on the wall on the corner building near bus stop showing were the last flood came to and some one told me there use to be houses all a long but now its all factorys and just wanted to know any history just around that area plus has any 1 got any old pics of that area or where i could find them on the net thanx ...

Your building used to be part of the Hallamshire Steel and File Co. as did the building with the flood sign on

The yard next door was a scrap yard, opposite your place on what is now Bardwell Road used to stand Cherry Tree Hall in the 1700s, pictures of the area are scarce, the one on picture Sheffield is of the old Coop,

you should find a couple of pictures of the houses and the Neepsend Tavern and Victoria Hotel (used to be Victoria Gardens)on Sheffield Flood sites.

an extract from,HISTORY OF NEEPSEND BY PAUL HODKINSON

. Neepsend Tannery started functioning in 1821 but sustained considerable damage in the Great Flood. It was demolished before 1890 and the site was added to the works of the Hallamshire Steele and File Co., who probably used it as a steel yard.

For 1836 there are two descriptions of the River Don. The first is from

John Holland’s Tour of the Don. (After quitting Owlerton and skirting the Old Park, the Don has now become a fine broad placid river, passes under Hillfoot Bridge, a substantial structure of timber 30 yards long and margined with one of those charming plots of little gardens formerly to be seen everywhere in the suburbs. The river goes of to the left towards Neepsend and after passing Sandbed Tilt it spreads out at a place called the Butts opposite the Clifton Steel Works into a pool of considerable breath. A number of small boats are moored hereabouts for the accommodation of pleasure taking parties, or the convenience of crossing from one side to the other.

This portion of river is much resorted to summer bathers and accidents from drowning repeatedly occur. On the side of the river called Harvest Lane are a number of small gardens mostly belonging to the workers engaged in the various manufactories. From the Butts the river flows along the bottom of what formerly were Coulsons Crofts and where until towards the latter end of the last century the water was crossed by means of stepping stones placed in the bed of the stream, standing about a yard high.)

Around this time the area called the Butts was selected as the scene of adult baptism by a small party of Baptists. On these occasions the boats were filled with spectators, while others watched from the banks. The singing of hymns preaching a sermon and immersing the neophytes in the water in such a spot forming in connection with the scenery at Neepsend a striking spectacle.

There probably isn't much 'history' attached to Neepsend before it was hit by industrialisation.

In the 1850s it boasted a brewery, a tannery and the engine shed belonging to the new railway. It was quite isolated from the other side of the river with the only access being the old wooden bridge at Hillfoot upstream or the ironbridge downstream at Bridgehouses. Wheeled traffic would have had to us harvest lane and Nursery street to get into town. The brewery later became the Cannon brewery owned by William Stones, which survived as a working brewery until quite recently.

At that time there were very few dwelling houses in the area with most of the land occupied by a few large fields and lots of allotments and market gardens. Most of the land between Neepsend and Farfield was later buried under the gas works and downstream the gardens and huge water meadow alongside the river gave way to steel refineries, grinding shops and high density back-to-back housing.

For a while Neepsend had its own railway station although it wasn't really in Neepsend but built at the northern end of the railway workers estate at Parkwood Springs.

The river was finally bridged here when Rutland road was built from Pitsmoor down to the south bank of the river.

There probably isn't much 'history' attached to Neepsend before it was hit by industrialisation.

In the 1850s it boasted a brewery, a tannery and the engine shed belonging to the new railway. It was quite isolated from the other side of the river with the only access being the old wooden bridge at Hillfoot upstream or the ironbridge downstream at Bridgehouses. Wheeled traffic would have had to us harvest lane and Nursery street to get into town. The brewery later became the Cannon brewery owned by William Stones, which survived as a working brewery until quite recently.

At that time there were very few dwelling houses in the area with most of the land occupied by a few large fields and lots of allotments and market gardens. Most of the land between Neepsend and Farfield was later buried under the gas works and downstream the gardens and huge water meadow alongside the river gave way to steel refineries, grinding shops and high density back-to-back housing.

For a while Neepsend had its own railway station although it wasn't really in Neepsend but built at the northern end of the railway workers estate at Parkwood Springs.

The river was finally bridged here when Rutland road was built from Pitsmoor down to the south bank of the river.

Whilst Parkwood Springs had it's fair share of railway workers, it could hardly be described as a railway workers estate, and Parkwood Springs was in Neepsend.

I used to live in Douglas Rd Park Wood Springs as a small child. I remember the flood plaque on the Hallamshire wall. I also recall a little shop I think it was on the corner of Boyland St. The children used to buy sweets there on the way home from school. My father worked at the steel works and lost a leg in an accident there in the1930s I believe. Can Anyone please give me any information about my father. His name was Billy Moore and used to live either in Percy St or Hicks St (not sure). He had a lady friend called Olive and they kept the small shop on Boyland St

I used to live in Douglas Rd Park Wood Springs as a small child. I remember the flood plaque on the Hallamshire wall. I also recall a little shop I think it was on the corner of Boyland St. The children used to buy sweets there on the way home from school. My father worked at the steel works and lost a leg in an accident there in the1930s I believe. Can Anyone please give me any information about my father. His name was Billy Moore and used to live either in Percy St or Hicks St (not sure). He had a lady friend called Olive and they kept the small shop on Boyland St

The only Olive that turns up 1948 Boyland Street is at 58 , Mrs. Olive Dungworth, general dealer and recieving office, Abbey Glen Laundry, corner Boyland Street-Cook Street