East House Pub shootings

Does anyone have any information about the East House Pub shooting. The pub was on Spital Hill and the shooting occurred on New Years Day 1960.

Three men were shot and killed by Mohammed Ismail.

Does anyone have any information about the East House Pub shooting. The pub was on Spital Hill and the shooting occurred on New Years Day 1960.

sure this is on here in the archives, ismail was caught went to prison,came out,went back home and was himself murdered by men with machettes

HI depoix

Searched the archives could not find it - any idea of where it is ?

Yes , it was a dramatic event in Sheffield .

I think also another man , maybe a relative of one of those murdered , [?] , was badly wounded too and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair . I distinctly remember seeing a man being pushed round the city centre in a wheelchair by his friends and /or relatives and being told , " That's one of the men who was shot at the East House ".

The killer was diagnosed as schizoprenic and was later deported back to Somalia . I think the story was that he was yearning to die but his religious beliefs forbade him to committ suicide so he wanted to provoke others into killing him .

Indeed that's what seems to have happened on his return home .

My Uncle was the landlord of the Midland hotel next door, it threw his pub into turmoil that day. Here is a link:-

The East House, Spital Hill -  a pub with a gruesome past

my husband who used to live on Bramber street told me of the event,

he says that a soldier was stood watching the pianist play on the piano and a man walked in and shot the soldier dead.

One of the men that was killed was my dad. I didn't know him as he and my mom were separated at the time. But I am trying to find out about him. His name was Fred Morris. Anyone any information ?

I posted a thread on the East House Incident in 2004.. look up "Timbuck" on the search feature and you will find the thread entitled "East House"

Google Search:- I apologise for the references to *****, but this was accepted parlance at the time. No offence is meant by this post.

Michael McFarlane 22 1 January 1960 Sheffield, South Yorkshire Michael, a steel worker, was celebrating the New Year with friends in the East House Hotel public house when a lunatic ***** Mohamed Ismail rushed into the pub with a loaded revolver and began indiscriminately shooting into the crowd. Michael died of gunshot wounds. His brother Donald was also hit and was in a coma for many weeks.

George Morris 30 1 January 1960 Sheffield, South Yorkshire George, a furnace pitman, was also enjoying a sing-song in the East House Hotel pub when mad Somalian ***** Mohamed Ismail opened fire. He too died of gunshot wounds. Two police officers managed to rush the ***** and took the cocked gun from him. A medical officer at Manchester Prison said the ***** Ismail was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and while in prison had shown clear evidence of being insane. He was considered unfit to plead and ordered to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Thomas Owen 27 1 January 1960 Sheffield, South Yorkshire Thomas, a regular soldier, was the third innocent bystander to be murdered by unemployed Mohamed Ismail, from what was then called British Somaliland. Thomas had been welcoming in the New Year when he was shot dead for no reason by the Muslim mental case. Another man in the bar was also badly wounded.

Hi Island Girl,

I worked with your father at Firth Browns and he was known to us as Tommy Morris,i believe he lived with his sister on Writtle Street .On the night of the shooting we had been working on the morning shift and he worked over until 6-0pm.I went to his funeral in Burngreave cemetery

Hi Island Girl,

I worked with your Dad at Firth Brown,s where he was known as Mick Morris,I believe he lived with his sister on Writtle St,we had been working on mornings that day and we worked over until 6-0pm,i had promised to go have a drink with him and Tommy Musgrave that night.The gunman held the gun at Tommy Musgraves head and pulled the trigger ,Fortunately there was no more bullets left.I went to Mick,s funeral in Burngreave Cemetery, I have never seen so many at at funeral

Hi Island Girl,

I worked with your father at Firth Browns,on the day of the shooting we were working the morning shift and worked over until 6-0pm ,Tommy Lee who was shot used to work with us before joining up.I believe Mick lived with his sister on Writtle Street.I went to his funeral in Burgreave Cemetery