The Penguin Mason Lathe Road. 80s

jgill just told alan foers about this post he says tell my mate im still alive

Jo Bowes was local window cleaner along with nunkie later his son took over the round also a name missing is Barry gillott

If it's " young" Barry Ashton , he died some years ago.

Hey Padders, thanks for your post. Its good to know that 'Big Al' Foers is still alive........ he was the finest full back I ever played against !!! and he was always a stubborn so and so...

Anyway send him my regards.

Going back to the nobbly knees competition, I'm pretty sure that Big Al entered one year although he'll definitely deny it! However he might remember Dennis, who, when he'd had enough beers, would come from the Tap room in the Penguin to "the stage" and perform his version of Al Jolson's April Showers song. He never knew the words properly and he had a shocking voice, but it was all harmless fun.

You might ask Al if he knows whether the other guys I mention in my post are still alive also, as after all, we are talking of a time some 44 years ago.

It seems like yesterday!

---------- Post added 26-08-2016 at 09:48 ----------

Hey Padders, thanks for your post. Its good to know that 'Big Al' Foers is still alive........ he was the finest full back I ever played against !!! and he was always a stubborn so and so...

Anyway send him my regards.

Going back to the nobbly knees competition, I'm pretty sure that Big Al entered one year although he'll definitely deny it! However he might remember Dennis, who, when he'd had enough beers, would come from the Tap room in the Penguin to "the stage" and perform his version of Al Jolson's April Showers song. He never knew the words properly and he had a shocking voice, but it was all harmless fun.

You might ask Al if he knows whether the other guys I mention in my post are still alive also, as after all, we are talking of a time some 44 years ago.

It seems like yesterday!

I started my drumming days at the Penguin in 1965.. 5 nights a week with a lad called Peter Blair on piano. It would look very old hat these days but the place was packed every night..... and everyone was suited and booted.

Two of the regulars were known as the Two Charlies, I think they worked on the bins. They were very funny characters and on occasion would do comedy routines dressed up in all sorts, army or police uniforms, womens clobber...whatever.

My dad was the organist up the road at Bellhouse wmc. He told me that the Two Charlies turned up to the old folks Christmas party complete with a lookalike BBC TV camera on wheels, headphones, mic etc and got all the old dears waving to the camera, thinking they were on the news.

big al has come clean he has admitted entering knobbly knees contest it was on easter monday still stubborn though

Saw John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett there, think it was 81/82-good times.

Dennis`s favourite Al Jolson song was "Mammy". All the audience used to get him singing it by chanting do Al Walkers song! He would strut up and down occasionally singing YES while the band played the tune, very often pulling the wire out of the mic. Finally he would cut in right at the end with "Al Walker million miles for one of your smiles My Mammy," at which people would be doubled up with laughter. Happy Sunday nights in the Penguin.

i remember dennis i think he was a prisoner of war in japan and was brutally treated i think he suffered from what is now known as post traumatic stress

Crikey! This brings back some long-forgotton memories from the late sixties I suppose (Pugwash will know). Probably the first pub I ever went in, everyone looking smart and packed out in the concert room.I even had a short (very short!) career behind the bar there but best forget that episode! Forget most names now apart from Alan, Pat and ???? Very friendly place and cheap rump steak on sale from the barman unless I'm hallucinating. I lived on Woolley Wood Rd and my name is John.

Anyone know Shane Clayton. Would be later than the 80's though