Grimesthorpe Part 3

Occasionally, Don Collins sold some top quality items. I remember a violin in his shop window with the words Strad 7/6d chalked on it. Apparently, they are quite rare.

I looked at a Gibson F hole guitar that Dennis Collins had for sale in his shop on Carlisle Rd for 14 quid in the early 60's, that was more than the average weekly wage at that time, and that same guitar would be worth over a thousand quid today.

Dennis kept some raunchy magazines in the back room of his shop, but the really raunchy ones were under the counter, I only know because he got some out for a bloke whilst I was browsing in the shop.

I knew the Booths Bri,sure my dad's brother Alberts ex wife Betty married Joe.He would be in his 90's cant see him being alive now.Does that sound about right.He wasn't young when he married my aunt,would say in his 40's.[/QUO

---------------------

Hi Sheila, Did you know Mick Lacey had passed away, i think

he and Margret lived on Moonshine Lane when they left Grimesthorpe

Mick was a good darts player he use too pop in Who can tell and have

a game at 501 with the lads. Brian

I looked at a Gibson F hole guitar that Dennis Collins had for sale in his shop on Carlisle Rd for 14 quid in the early 60's, that was more than the average weekly wage at that time, and that same guitar would be worth over a thousand quid today.

Dennis kept some raunchy magazines in the back room of his shop, but the really raunchy ones were under the counter, I only know because he got some out for a bloke whilst I was browsing in the shop.

Dennis Collins, thats right Trevor. Don Collins was a Rag and Bone Man who wore a bowler hat when leading his horse and cart around Grimesthorpe.

Edited by cat631

When I was a kid the chippy on Botham St was owned by Mr & Mrs Esberger, I think they had a couple of sons, anyway the product they sold there was awful, in all fairness to them what with the war years and after maybe the good products for cooking weren't available. I do remember the house across the ginnel being the Gills and what I remember most one time when I was over there the bottom house had two brothers (forgotten the name) and younger smaller brother was chasing the older taller brother with a brush hammer style over his head, if he could have caught him I'm sure he would have inflicted serious damage. fleetwood

I knew the Booths Bri,sure my dad's brother Alberts ex wife Betty married Joe.He would be in his 90's cant see him being alive now.Does that sound about right.He wasn't young when he married my aunt,would say in his 40's.[/QUO

---------------------

Hi Sheila, Did you know Mick Lacey had passed away, i think

he and Margret lived on Moonshine Lane when they left Grimesthorpe

Mick was a good darts player he use too pop in Who can tell and have

a game at 501 with the lads. Brian

Yes I did know Bri,his daughter let me know.Still in touch with Mags we went through school together.It was Micks funeral yesterday,was upset that I couldn't get.They moved to Mansfield sometime ago and as I we don't drive I couldn't make it never felt the need to drive with always being near town and loads of buses.Hope your well love.

Yes I did know Bri,his daughter let me know.Still in touch with Mags we went through school together.It was Micks funeral yesterday,was upset that I couldn't get.They moved to Mansfield sometime ago and as I we don't drive I couldn't make it never felt the need to drive with always being near town and loads of buses.Hope your well love.

-------------

Hi Sheila, Thanks for your reply just a matter of intrest where did

they live when in Grimesthorpe. Seems lots of people have hibernated

dont see anyone these days. Yes i'am ok thanks.

-------------

Hi Sheila, Thanks for your reply just a matter of intrest where did

they live when in Grimesthorpe. Seems lots of people have hibernated

dont see anyone these days. Yes i'am ok thanks.

Gday Brian, they lived on Botham St, about 6 houses down from Petre St, it was almost opposite the Hutchinson's family home.

Mags sister Joan and her husband Norman had the Alex, so we spent a lot of time down there at the weekends.

Like me, Mick lived on the Shirecliffe before marriage, and we went to the same School, although he was a couple of years younger than me, he was a great bloke.

There is a Grimesthorpe group on Facebook Brian, I find that a lot easier to attach pictures etc.

Gday Brian, they lived on Botham St, about 6 houses down from Petre St, it was almost opposite the Hutchinson's family home.

Mags sister Joan and her husband Norman had the Alex, so we spent a lot of time down there at the weekends.

Like me, Mick lived on the Shirecliffe before marriage, and we went to the same School, although he was a couple of years younger than me, he was a great bloke.

There is a Grimesthorpe group on Facebook Brian, I find that a lot easier to attach pictures etc.[/QUOT

--------------------

Thanks Trev for info, i was on face book once but i found it did'nt

work for me but i could always give it another try again some day?

-------------

I wished i had bought a camara in the earlier years and when i got

married 1968 thats when i had one, sadly i did'nt use it much and i

now wished i had took pics of Grimesthorpe streets-houses and people

could have been putting some on here. Brian :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 04-09-2016 at 17:07 ----------

When I was a kid the chippy on Botham St was owned by Mr & Mrs Esberger, I think they had a couple of sons, anyway the product they sold there was awful, in all fairness to them what with the war years and after maybe the good products for cooking weren't available. I do remember the house across the ginnel being the Gills and what I remember most one time when I was over there the bottom house had two brothers (forgotten the name) and younger smaller brother was chasing the older taller brother with a brush hammer style over his head, if he could have caught him I'm sure he would have inflicted serious damage. fleetwood

----------------------

Hi Fleetwood, I remember a Gills family living in Botham St not sure

if one of the lads first name was Ian Gill, i also think he played a

guitar. Regards the chip shop the Esberger must have left about 1956

or befor i dont remember them only Enzers. Brian

I think the guitarist was George Gill, he passed away a few years ago.

Re the Gills - There was a younger girl who's name escapes me at the moment, had a nice long chat via email with her quite some time ago. The oldest son was Norman, I think the father served overseas during the war, they were a real nice family. fleetwood

I was with George Gill a couple of weeks before he died in Ohringen Germany where he was living,he died about 4 yrs ago and his ashes are buried with his mother in Hutcliffe Wood Cemetery i was there two weeks ago looking at the headstone.