JohnOGaunt Pub in the 80s

Is this pub still trading, a few years back it was a bikers pub for awhile?

Saturday nights were fantastic can remember Tony a lot of the singers were also popular at the station hotel down wicker can remember a good singer called Lionel

I remember Lionel coming in on a Sunday night in a red silk shirt, and a lady who sang "Blanket on the ground" every week. The organ player was Tim and Tessa Turners dad

brings back memories the gaunt, mainly of old mates who lived in the area, gary williams???? rushtons,gills (liggas), wild (janet and jane??) lovely girls, what happened to them, waterfalls,tets davit and a few more i struggle to remember now.

hardly used the place myself though.

brings back memories the gaunt, mainly of old mates who lived in the area, gary williams???? rushtons,gills (liggas), wild (janet and jane??) lovely girls, what happened to them, waterfalls,tets davit and a few more i struggle to remember now.

Fireman Bert,pozzy,Steve Wright Chris gibbo Gibson LOL

Fireman Bert,pozzy,Steve Wright Chris gibbo Gibson LOL

That Pozzy Wordsworth????? Did he die? Babs Brown I think it was told me he was very ill or he died, can't remember now.

That Pozzy Wordsworth????? Did he die? Babs Brown I think it was told me he was very ill or he died, can't remember now.

Cant comment not bin up herdings since I left our lass but he had a drink problem

Gary was the eldest of the Willaims, Rita was the only girl, Martin (Wombat) was the legendary hard man, Ian was camp as a row of tents, a real laugh but hard as nails as well, Glyn was the youngest. Their mum was always nice to me.

Stuart Rushton was nickamed Rue/Roo.

The Gills were another legendary family, from memory, John was the eldest boy and Anne was the eldest girl. Mick was a hard nut, Bill (Philip) wore a top hat years before Slash from Guns and Roses, Steve was Ligga, who along with Wombat was a legendary hard case.

Yes it was Jane and Janet Wild.

I remember Pozzy Simmonite,Rue mentioned above last time I saw him he was a postie,camp Ian was a lovely guy had a relationship with the Buzzcocks singer at one time,I remember Wombat Ligger and crew we had some laughs,anyone remember Mole ? I once saw Tets Davit and I'm almost sure he had had a bath :hihi:

I remember Pozzy Simmonite,Rue mentioned above last time I saw him he was a postie,camp Ian was a lovely guy had a relationship with the Buzzcocks singer at one time,I remember Wombat Ligger and crew we had some laughs,anyone remember Mole ? I once saw Tets Davit and I'm almost sure he had had a bath :hihi:

Ian met Pete Shelley and interviewed him for a local punk magazine (when I say "magazine", it was a stapled together collection of A4 sheets of paper, sold at local gigs), they kept in touch as pen pals but to say they had a relationship would be stretching it, to say the least. He was a massive fan of Marilyn Monroe, and had lots of books on her, through this he became infatuated with Blondie/Debbie Harry.

He also championed the original John Foxx version of Ultravox.

His main pen pal was a guy called something like Bobo Phoenix, who sang for a band called Dead Fingers Talk, Ian talked about him non-stop at times. He also had a thing for a French band called Metal Urbane.

Mole was Alan Gill. The Gill lads fell into two types, John, Mick, Steve were all big lads, especially Steve, who aged about 13 or 14 became hard lad of the school, with the 15 and 16 year old's scared of him (seriously).

Bill, Alan and Andrew were more wiry types.

I head that Wombat had done with with a building company.

did colin goddard use to be landlord at one time late 70s ???,remember him from the penguin shiregreen

I used to relieve manage for colin at the penguin many many years ago .After leaving the Gaunt he ran the bars at a holiday camp in Cornwall and then he took the stewards job at the Liberal club in Lincoln.After that I don't know what happened to him would like to know what became of him.Sheila his wife was very smart and attractive as was Colin always dressed immaculate as were most landlords and ladies in those days unlike now where some dress like tramps.Remember some staff at the Penguin Tom and Winnie Billingham ,Olive,Ian Mack,Alan Hayter.

Edited by petcharlie

Hi I knew Colin very well and his wife Sheila and their son Nikki - Colin ran off with one of the cleaners who was called Janet. They moved to Cornwall and various places after that. After many moves around the country he settled in Retford. When Colin left the Gaunt a chap called Graham Fox took over, he was there for 2 years and made a right mess of it moving to the Pheasant at Sheffield Lane Top. When Graham left the Gaunt I took over as landlord and Colins wife Sheila used to come in as a customer on a very regular basis - and you are correct she was a very smart lady always dressed impeccably and quiet attractive. She started dating one of the regulars and moved in with him at a house over at Meadowhead. I have heard that she had died a couple of years ago. Colin ans Sheilas son used to run the 'Trippets' wine bar on Trippet lane and the corner of Bailey Lane, I also saw him and spoke to him in Bessemer bar on Leopold Street last year. I moved from the Gaunt to The Fiveways hotel in Nottingham. One Friday night in the Fiveways my area manager Terry Rich came in to see me - unfortunately I had a few beers in me and I hit him. That did not go down too well with John Smiths Brewery and three weeks later I was working as a manager for Whitbreads :) did you do relief work just for colin or did you do it for other managers as well ?

Hi I knew Colin very well and his wife Sheila and their son Nikki - Colin ran off with one of the cleaners who was called Janet. They moved to Cornwall and various places after that. After many moves around the country he settled in Retford. When Colin left the Gaunt a chap called Graham Fox took over, he was there for 2 years and made a right mess of it moving to the Pheasant at Sheffield Lane Top. When Graham left the Gaunt I took over as landlord and Colins wife Sheila used to come in as a customer on a very regular basis - and you are correct she was a very smart lady always dressed impeccably and quiet attractive. She started dating one of the regulars and moved in with him at a house over at Meadowhead. I have heard that she had died a couple of years ago. Colin ans Sheilas son used to run the 'Trippets' wine bar on Trippet lane and the corner of Bailey Lane, I also saw him and spoke to him in Bessemer bar on Leopold Street last year. I moved from the Gaunt to The Fiveways hotel in Nottingham. One Friday night in the Fiveways my area manager Terry Rich came in to see me - unfortunately I had a few beers in me and I hit him. That did not go down too well with John Smiths Brewery and three weeks later I was working as a manager for Whitbreads :) did you do relief work just for colin or did you do it for other managers as well ?

Hi so sad to know that Sheila has died she and Colin became good mates and I have very happy memories of the good times we had.I ended up with a pub of my own in Lincolnshire and Colin Sheila and Winnie Billingham used to come down and spend a few days with us.Remember one night we were have a session after bird and the police came knocking on the door at about 01.00 in the morning want to know what the crack was.Sheila and Winnie were at the bar and really tore a strip off this copper.I felt so sorry for him,he wished he had not bothered.Sheila could be very firey and needless to say he went away with his tail between his legs,what Sheila did not say to him Winnie could.Together they were very formidable.I worked for Colin at the Penguin and looked after the place when they went on holiday ,they used to go to Malta most of the time but they also had a caravan near Mablethorpe.Colin and I used to go down for long weekends and we used to have a great time.Colin was very good company and knew how to enjoy himself.I did do the odd job relieving before I took my own pub and remember opening the new Wordsworth Tavern for the first few days it operated also a couple more in Hillsboro'the names I can not remember but Colin taught me everything I needed to know along with a few more things I should not know.Happy Happy memories.

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 09:52 ----------

Always thought his sons name was Mark.