Coded Star messages for hospital patients..

Anyone recall those private codes in the Star given to parents of very poorly children ...relatives could find progress privately..my brother had meningitis for instance..

Yes can remember them well in The Star. Seem to think they applied to all the hospitals in Sheffield & detailed the current state of the patients.

i had one as a child in lodgemoor hospital.the order you came on the list denoted how ill you were, as you improved you moved down the list,you could only be visited on sunday so the star list let parents know how you were doing

Yes can remember them well in The Star. Seem to think they applied to all the hospitals in Sheffield & detailed the current state of the patients.

Yes, "hospital bulletins" were a regular feature of newspapers at one time, the patients being referred to by number. Here is a scan from the Sheffield DailyTelegraph of 3 May 1950.

Does anybody remember when the Sheffield Star newspaper used to print bulletins on Sheffield hospital patients progress or otherwise? I have spoken to people of a similar age to me (69) but they don't recollect this happening. I feel sure this information was printed in the Star during the 1950's.

Regards

Yes, there were bulletins in The Star about hospital patients. There various categories of illness including "dangerously ill". I distinctly remember my grandmother being in that category shortly before she passed away in Lodge Moor Hospital in 1959.

Thanks fatrajah. I was beginning to think I was making this up. Do you also remember when there was a death in the family they would put a white sheet covering a window?

Another tradition I remember was that when a Wife or husband passed away the remaining partner would sew a black diamond material on the sleeve of their coat.

All these traditions seem to have gone.

Regards

It has been covered on the Forum before, a search will give you this http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1479089

That's interesting, glad I opened this thread now!

Hillsbro's picture is 1950, that seems incredibly recent for such a thing.

Thanks fatrajah. I was beginning to think I was making this up. Do you also remember when there was a death in the family they would put a white sheet covering a window?

Another tradition I remember was that when a Wife or husband passed away the remaining partner would sew a black diamond material on the sleeve of their coat.

All these traditions seem to have gone.

Regards

I remember people closing the curtains, I'm not sure if people still do that.