Corbyn, requisition empty investment flats

This suggestion by Corbyn was so that children could still attend their local schools. Kensington is the richest borough in the country with thousands of empty investment flats.

Edited by poppet2

I understand the thought behind what he is saying but it can't happen. You can't just take someone's property and do as you please with it, that's verging on a dictatorship. Hopefully the owners of these flats will voluntarily give them up to help.

I understand the thought behind what he is saying but it can't happen. You can't just take someone's property and do as you please with it, that's verging on a dictatorship. Hopefully the owners of these flats will voluntarily give them up to help.

Of course you can do it. We all have laws that mean we handover some of our wealth each month to the tax man. However, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Even being a raging leftie I'm not comfortable with this idea. I think other laws should be brought in to massively discourage sitting on property waiting for it's value to rise, things like council tax bills double each year the property is left unoccupied.

However, there should be an emergency bill that allows for temporary usage of unoccupied properties in very specific circumstances such as when hundreds of people are displaced, who previously had a property, due to no fault of their own.

It works both ways rich to poor, poor to rich.

When lots of money is cut from the poor so the rich can get a little richer is that no dictatorship then?

Are you just expressing some silly hope that upper class will allow these lower class people to stay in their moneypots or do you really believe that could happen?

So he said, 'properties must be found, requisitioned IF NECESSARY, to allow these people to stay locally.' The IF NECESSARY part is quite key here as he's not saying let's takeover the rich homes unless other options have been exhausted, therefore I'd say it's very much a case that if the unoccupied flat owners want some say in who moves into their flat that they make the offer first...rather clever from Corbyn really.

I'd like to bet a lot of the MPs have property in London where they could house some of the people,it would be a kind gesture.

Corbyn is simply tapping into local anger. Of course he knows the requisition of private homes is an unworkable idea.

Instead of taking someones empty flat why not just put an extra tax on properties that are unoccupied for a large percentage of time??

That would also solve issues in coastal areas where rich city folk buy up property to use as occasional holiday homes.

We should requisition them permanently, not just when something like this happens. Property empty for 12 months when not subject to probate should default to state property

does this requisitioning include market rate compensation or is it going to be some kind of communist takeover and the start of a slippery slope.

We should requisition them permanently, not just when something like this happens. Property empty for 12 months when not subject to probate should default to state property

Why?

I mena what gives you the right to go thieving like that?

I've got a car not been used for 2 years as well as a small cottage. Should I be expected to give that up as well?

---------- Post added 16-06-2017 at 11:21 ----------

does this requisitioning include market rate compensation or is it going to be some kind of communist takeover and the start of a slippery slope.

When have you ever known the far left pay for anything? They spend other peoples money remember....