Parents skip meals so as kids can eat.

A report from Kellogg's claims that a third of parents on lower incomes skip meals so their kids can eat.

This takes me back to the 1940's and early fifty's when my old Ma would give me rabbit or lamb along with veg while she would just dip a slice of bread into the remaining gravy.

When I used to ask her why she din't have some dinner she would reply that she liked bread and gravy "that's why".

At that time I just took her word for it but in later years the memory made feel humble and sad .

To think that those days are coming back makes it all the more so:(

A report from Kellogg's claims that a third of parents on lower incomes skip meals so their kids can eat.

This takes me back to the 1940's and early fifty's when my old Ma would give me rabbit or lamb along with veg while she would just dip a slice of bread into the remaining gravy.

When I used to ask her why she din't have some dinner she would reply that she liked bread and gravy "that's why".

At that time I just took her word for it but in later years the memory made feel humble and sad .

To think that those days are coming back makes it all the more so:(

I'm probably a little younger than you, then, but I remember the same from what must have been the late 50s. I have exactly the same emotions when I realize (only later in life) what my mum was doing.

To be fair, in our case, I think it wasn't that often, but it did happen on enough occasions to remember it.

I'm probably a little younger than you, then, but I remember the same from what must have been the late 50s. I have exactly the same emotions when I realize (only later in life) what my mum was doing.

To be fair, in our case, I think it wasn't that often, but it did happen on enough occasions to remember it.

You are right , I remember once taking a pal home and asking ma if he could have some dinner with us.

She just looked at me and said now't ,I showed off ,now I could roor when I think back.

We are hurtling back to the 1930's maybe the 1830's and most people seem sanguine about it, the ones who are hurt the most don't seem to have the resources to challenge it all.

We are hurtling back to the 1930's maybe the 1830's and most people seem sanguine about it, the ones who are hurt the most don't seem to have the resources to challenge it all.

We have rising obesity levels, so very few are really skipping meals. Benefits higher than ever, no goes hungry unless they make poor choices.

Some are exploited by the system, sanctioned.

Don't buy it.

Food has never been so cheap, mass produced and in such plentiful supply.

Such plentiful supply that shops and us customers waste tonnes of it every day because we "don't like the look of it" or "its been sitting around for a while" or "its gone past its made up sell by date"

Food shoppers now have equated prices and a selection of goods that their past generations could only have dreamed of.

Don't believe all this skipping meals to feed the kids lark. People who are doing that have got far far bigger issues about their money management. Someone needs to get in there and tackle it. Food "costs" aint one of them.

I saw a documentary recently attempting to highlight this very issue about poor done people and their "spiralling" food costs. I saw them the violin music part of the show, trying to straight face report on two morbidly obese yokels waddling round the cash'Ncarry complaining about their food costs and how their mass of internet coupons are such a lifeline otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to put meals on the table. Yeah, whatever!

Just like the whole food bank myth that is being splattered all over the left wing press. Nobody in this country in this decade NEEDS a food handout. People need to look at what proper starvation looks like. What proper poverty looks like.

Smells of a nice little cereal promotion to me.

Edited by ECCOnoob

A story from USA

Tuesday morning when the story of Postell’s life appeared in the Washington Post. It chronicled Postell’s ascent: He went from a meager childhood to Harvard Law School, where he graduated with Chief Justice John Roberts, before landing a job at top law firm. And his decline: More than 30 years ago, schizophrenia seized him, and he never recovered.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/alfred-postell-why-is-a-homeless-man-who-graduated-from-harvard-still-on-the-streets-10393525.html

The report from Kelloggs is obviously biased - neither me nor my children now fall into the low income category yet i've skipped meals to provide more on the plate.

Budgetary failure doesn't belong to the less wealthy.

Don't buy it.

Food has never been so cheap, mass produced and in such plentiful supply.

Such plentiful supply that shops and us customers waste tonnes of it every day because we "don't like the look of it" or "its been sitting around for a while" or "its gone past its made up sell by date"

Food shoppers now have equated prices and a selection of goods that their past generations could only have dreamed of.

Don't believe all this skipping meals to feed the kids lark. People who are doing that have got far far bigger issues about their money management. Someone needs to get in there and tackle it. Food "costs" aint one of them.

I saw a documentary recently attempting to highlight this very issue about poor done people and their "spiralling" food costs. I saw them the violin music part of the show, trying to straight face report on two morbidly obese yokels waddling round the cash'Ncarry complaining about their food costs and how their mass of internet coupons are such a lifeline otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to put meals on the table. Yeah, whatever!

Just like the whole food bank myth that is being splattered all over the left wing press. Nobody in this country in this decade NEEDS a food handout. People need to look at what proper starvation looks like. What proper poverty looks like.

Smells of a nice little cereal promotion to me.

Another spout from the I'm alright Jack society.

A report from Kellogs???

What the hell, are we going to have Greggs covering 3rd world debt next??

A report from Kellogs???

What the hell, are we going to have Greggs covering 3rd world debt next??

Lol, where's the like button?

Another spout from the I'm alright Jack society.

Listen mush, you know nothing about me.

I might have what is deemed a "good income" now, but I have not always. I am one of 4 kids who were raised by parents on a very modest income. My mum did not work for nearly 10 years and when she did it was part time for many years after. Both my mum and dad always managed to put food on the table and clothes on our backs without ever resorting to a government handout. So did millions of others. People managed.

I had many years as a junior level employee living in the world before the minimum wage, I had to pay for rent, clothing, transport and food. Guess what, I managed. Not perfect I admit, plenty of times when I would be resorting to beans on toast until payday but I managed.

Food costs and the decades of supermarket prices wars have dropped costs over the years. I have said before that there are relative prices, choice of retailer and a selection of products now which would have been thought impossible a generation ago. Pubs sell two course meals at £5, fast food restaurants sell burgers for less than a quid, supermarkets sell grocery essentials and tinned food for pennies.

Its not about "im alright jack" its being in the real world and not falling for the woe is me horse crap splashed around the Labour Press. You are not going to convince me that all the thousands of allegedly destitute people queuing up outside these food banks actually need to be there. If someone looked at what their money was spent on deemed more important than food they would educate these spongers into what real "essentials" are.

We have a breed of "owt for nowt" people and it needs to be stopped. Those GENUINELY in need are being overshadowed by the greedy, lazy and workshy. This whole food bank culture fuelled by tabloid sob stories is only making it worse.

Edited by ECCOnoob