Employment cap reached

As demonstrated by yesterday's figures of rising unemployment AND significantly rising incomes in the private sector, Britain has reached its employment cap, the 5% or so that is currently unemployed is either in between jobs, unemployable or willingly unemployed (for whatever reason).

This means that the only realistic economic growth in Britain can now come from wages going up and property market price-hikes. Wages are due another 4-5% I reckon in the coming year, after that the country will begin to suffer more and more from a shortage of skilled workforce.

As demonstrated by yesterday's figures of rising unemployment AND significantly rising incomes in the private sector, Britain has reached its employment cap, the 5% or so that is currently unemployed is either in between jobs, unemployable or willingly unemployed (for whatever reason).

This means that the only realistic economic growth in Britain can now come from wages going up and property market price-hikes. Wages are due another 4-5% I reckon in the coming year, after that the country will begin to suffer more and more from a shortage of skilled workforce.

i always thought you could get increased economic growth by increasing productivity. you live and learn. those assembly robots were a waste of time.

i always thought you could get increased economic growth by increasing productivity. you live and learn. those assembly robots were a waste of time.

Yes you can, but Britain has hit a productivity crisis, that what could be automated has been, that which can't is short of people.

Yes you can, but Britain has hit a productivity crisis, that what could be automated has been, that which can't is short of people.

you do come out with some ridiculous statements based on total ignorance. you probably missed the fact that 90% of our technology was developed since the millenium

I work in automation, your statement is nonsense.

you do come out with some ridiculous statements based on total ignorance. you probably missed the fact that 90% of our technology was developed since the millenium

Firstly - if you believe that, than you are the ignoramus here.

Secondly, care to explain how my statement is ignorant? I will happily be corrected, do read the rest of the post though as I clearly needed to expand so people can understand what I meant!

I work in automation, your statement is nonsense.

Excellent, I am sure you can tell me where automation is currently actively employed to replace human labour at a rate faster than the increase of need for new human labour.

You know as well as I do that this is no longer the maintained theory (depending on what level you work at of course). Over the past two decades it has amply been demonstrated that automation has in fact led to MORE work, requiring MORE qualified people.

Sure we still get the odd production line automated, but in the grand scheme (We are talking about national employment and salary figures remember) that is not happening at a rate that is faster than that people find work - just have a look at the employment figures...

I apologise for the brevity of the previous answer, it might have confused you, but I am looking forward to your correction/acknowledgement.

Can still see McDonald's with hiring notice. And greasy 17year old kids flipping burgers

Secondly, care to explain how my statement is ignorant? I will happily be corrected, do read the rest of the post though as I clearly needed to expand so people can understand what I meant!

Excellent, I am sure you can tell me where automation is currently actively employed to replace human labour at a rate faster than the increase of need for new human labour.

You know as well as I do that this is no longer the maintained theory (depending on what level you work at of course). Over the past two decades it has amply been demonstrated that automation has in fact led to MORE work, requiring MORE qualified people.

Sure we still get the odd production line automated, but in the grand scheme (We are talking about national employment and salary figures remember) that is not happening at a rate that is faster than that people find work - just have a look at the employment figures...

I apologise for the brevity of the previous answer, it might have confused you, but I am looking forward to your correction/acknowledgement.

i see because you've made yourself look a fool you've started the name calling.

currently new technonlogy is producing pilotless planes, robot assembly, driverless trains, driverless cars, electronic chips replacing manmade circuit boards, palleted deliver, email replacing letters, keyhole surgery replacing complex operations, computer controled tunneling machines, cameras replacing policemen, lasers and camera inspectors replacing humans, prefabricated houses with wiring and plumbing installed.... that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by drummonds

I responded to your statement "that which could be automated has been" implying that there are no manufacturers in the UK which have processes which could be automated and haven't been. Not the case by a long way in my experience.

You have then expanded your statement to something completely different.

I responded to your statement "that which could be automated has been" implying that there are no manufacturers in the UK which have processes which could be automated and haven't been. Not the case by a long way in my experience.

You have then expanded your statement to something completely different.

I have, you are correct in that, I shall try and refrain from posting when in a rush.

i see because you've made yourself look a fool you've started the name calling.

currently new technonlogy is producing pilotless planes, robot assembly, driverless trains, driverless cars, electronic chips replacing manmade circuit boards, palleted deliver, email replacing letters, keyhole surgery replacing complex operations, computer controled tunneling machines, cameras replacing policemen, lasers and camera inspectors replacing humans, prefabricated houses with wiring and plumbing installed.... that is just the tip of the iceberg.

You do come out with some ridiculous statements based on total ignorance.

Oh wait, that was your first sentence in reply to my post, seems I wasn't the first.

As to your follow up examples, and Bargepole will agree with me on this: those systems you mention all lead to more work, not less. It is called the productivity paradox.

To put it in simple terms: there used to be a day and age where 100 professions/job-types could provide all the work needed. But then we became more and more clever and invented new professions as we went along. We went from monks who served our holy needs as well as being our writers, lawmakers and historians to developing authors, a legal system, an expanded clergy and historians, archaeologists and so on. Follow that trend long enough and you get to the paradox that even with more people available you do not have enough people to do all the work required. That is the situation the UK is finding itself in now and what the original post is about. So ignoring your initial attack (that I am responsible for due to not formulating my thought process appropriately), perhaps we can now have a sensible discussion on the topic?

I have, you are correct in that, I shall try and refrain from posting when in a rush.

You do come out with some ridiculous statements based on total ignorance.

Oh wait, that was your first sentence in reply to my post, seems I wasn't the first.

As to your follow up examples, and Bargepole will agree with me on this: those systems you mention all lead to more work, not less. It is called the productivity paradox.

To put it in simple terms: there used to be a day and age where 100 professions/job-types could provide all the work needed. But then we became more and more clever and invented new professions as we went along. We went from monks who served our holy needs as well as being our writers, lawmakers and historians to developing authors, a legal system, an expanded clergy and historians, archaeologists and so on. Follow that trend long enough and you get to the paradox that even with more people available you do not have enough people to do all the work required. That is the situation the UK is finding itself in now and what the original post is about. So ignoring your initial attack (that I am responsible for due to not formulating my thought process appropriately), perhaps we can now have a sensible discussion on the topic?

you've started a ridiculous thread based on utter nonsense and now folk are pointing it out you are loosing your rag.

keep digging. that hole you are in is getting deeper and deeper. incidentally i visited a steel manufacturer several years ago and revisited fairly recently. they now make more steel but with around 20% of the manpower.

Edited by drummonds

you've started a ridiculous thread based on utter nonsense and now folk are pointing it out you are loosing your rag.

keep digging. that hole you are in is getting deeper and deeper. incidentally i visited a steel manufacturer several years ago and revisited fairly recently. they now make more steel but with around 20% of the manpower.

It seems to me you are losing your rag? This isn't a ridiculous thread, it is reality. The UK has reached a cap on employment, it was discussed in quite clear terms yesterday on the radio and the telly.

If you want to discuss the initial post, feel free to. If you just want to keep attacking me here, feel free to, it is a public forum after all. But don't use one-liners about steel manufacturers when it is clear you don't understand what you are talking about.

Have a smiley to avoid you getting upset: :)