Winter in the canaries??

If you could go for 1 month, to 'live' rather than holiday and you had to choose between either Nov, Dec, Jan or Feb, which month would you pick, which Canary Island would you go to and where would you stay. Would you book a package deal or flights and accommodation say in a villa or apartment. We are considering giving it a try as we have reached 'that' age (free agents and despising more and more the winter months here), although it won't be a money no object sort of affair, so I would be really interested to know if anyone else is like minded, has any suggestions or tips, or has done or is doing same, any pointers would be of interest. Thanks x

I'd go in January or February when it tends to be coldest here. I've been to Lanzarote and Fuerteventura and they're much of a muchness.

Look out for cruise bargains nearer the time and see all the Islands without having to lift a finger, until I became poorly we used to go every Feb. for a fortnight and found some ridiculously cheap bargains.

This way you'll get a taster of all the area and it may help you decide which is your favourite and least favourite parts.

The beauty is that if you find somewhere not to your taste then get back on board and sunbathe while you stuff your faces with all the goodies included in the price.

Enjoy looking. :thumbsup:

Look out for cruise bargains nearer the time and see all the Islands without having to lift a finger, until I became poorly we used to go every Feb. for a fortnight and found some ridiculously cheap bargains.

This way you'll get a taster of all the area and it may help you decide which is your favourite and least favourite parts.

The beauty is that if you find somewhere not to your taste then get back on board and sunbathe while you stuff your faces with all the goodies included in the price.

Enjoy looking. :thumbsup:

Brilliant idea!

Hi KateyKrunch what you are thinking of doing we have done several times,we always go to Tenerife February and March!.Check out Owners Abroad site for Los Christianos or Las Americas,when you go for long periods you need nice walks and reasonable restaurants plus entertainment ,in these two resorts you will be spoilt for choice!.One place we stopped at in Los Christianos we enjoyed Victoria 1 or 2 which is next door,that was for 6 weeks,another year we did 4 weeks in Los C. 4weeks in Las Americas,aim to spend around £1200 upwards per month for rental,book flights as cheap as possible and don,t forget insurance always ask for a safe in the apartment,washing machine,satellite tv!.Don,t go in January that's when they get their bad weather mostly,any other winter months are ok also avoid Christmas and school holidays for that's when prices ramp up accommodation and flights,go for it and good luck!.:D:D

Tenerife gets pasted because it has the tourist ghettoes of Las Americas and Christianos on it, however it is easy to get away from these, the island has got more features than the other islands because it is the biggest, it divides into north and south which have distinct 'feels' - the weather is even different - also Sta Cruz is easily the more significant of the only two Canarian cities that qualify for that term, Las Palmas Gran Canaria being the other. Getting between the islands, just fly. It costs next to nothing and takes no time at all.

I've been thinking of going on a winter cycling holiday to the Canaries, does the weather and the climbs make it worthwhile?

I've been thinking of going on a winter cycling holiday to the Canaries, does the weather and the climbs make it worthwhile?

It's ideal for cycling in Tenerife we saw lots of cyclists in the Teide national park ,the climbs are epic up to the volcano!.It's like another planet at the top of the climb through the pine forests,flat at the top through the larva field you can circumnavigate the volcano all the way round!.Then it's freewheeling all the way back down,I think you can book cycling holidays there ,it's worth a look maybe on line!.

Teide remains the only place in the world where I have ever been on land and looked down, at full cloud cover as if you are on a plane. It would be quite a cycle up there from sea level though, it is 12,000 feet.

Teide remains the only place in the world where I have ever been on land and looked down, at full cloud cover as if you are on a plane. It would be quite a cycle up there from sea level though, it is 12,000 feet.

I was thinking the same..I drove up it and was knackered. Cycle up that JFK and I iz givin you respect..innit.

how about a motorbike? That way JFK could pretend to be Steve McQueen, and make a video at the top.

From what I can see on Google maps, due to the lack of roads to the top of Teide I think that it will be an impossible struggle to get up there on my road bike.

I ended up be looking at Gran Canaria, and there are some really interesting organised cycle camps on there. One that took the eye, was a tour of the Island arriving at a different hotel every evening. The organisers moved all your gear for you and provided all the back up services such as guides, bike mechanic back up, nutrition and water during the rides.

So now I need to start working out a plan on how to get this past my wife!