Hunting - the window into Politics

Some say that your position on Hunting is a window into all your positions in politics. I believe the proposed changes to the hunting legislation show the style of the current crop of Tory's.

"He drifts along, with his clever lieutenants (especially the master strategist Osborne) thinking up wheezes to see him through. Hunting is another of his long list of essay crises. He has made a manifesto promise he can’t keep, so someone has dreamed up this way of allowing hunting to return without any democratic mandate or proper discussion. It is cynical, tawdry and deserves to fail." Last paragraph of this - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/08/cameron-foxhunting-hunting-ban-legal-changes?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

This contrast from the Telegraph is much more gentle but says much the same thing - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/foxhunting/11726161/MPs-to-get-free-vote-to-relax-fox-hunting-ban-next-week.html

Will this be their 'Clegg - Student fee's' moment? I think not, they are far too tricky for that.

Edited by Flanker7

Some say that your position on Hunting is a window into all your positions in politics. I believe the proposed changes to the hunting legislation show the style of the current crop of Tory's.
It's just PR noise to divert editorial attention and headlines from the harsher aspects of yesterday's budget.

Watch this whole 'hunting' malarkey die quietly in a week or two, after doing its diversion job ;)

More likely its the reverse - a good day to bury bad news - the abandoning of an election promise. At least Clegg had the excuse that student fee's were a casualty of the coalition deal. What the Tory's excuse?

I heard a Tory spoke person saying the PM was honouring an election pledge with the Hunting vote. Obviously taking a broad understanding of what was said in their election manifesto.

He was also pouring scorn on the S.N.P. in a way only posh Tory's can.

To think that many voted for his party to maintain the Union ...............

"He drifts along, with his clever lieutenants (especially the master strategist Osborne) thinking up wheezes to see him through. Hunting is another of his long list of essay crises. He has made a manifesto promise he can’t keep, so someone has dreamed up this way of allowing hunting to return without any democratic mandate or proper discussion. It is cynical, tawdry and deserves to fail." Last paragraph of this - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/08/cameron-foxhunting-hunting-ban-legal-changes?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

This contrast from the Telegraph is much more gentle but says much the same thing - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/foxhunting/11726161/MPs-to-get-free-vote-to-relax-fox-hunting-ban-next-week.html

Will this be their 'Clegg - Student fee's' moment? I think not, they are far too tricky for that.

Hunting with packs is allowed in Scotland..what does that say about their politics? #justsaying

Hunting with packs is allowed in Scotland..what does that say about their politics? #justsaying

It says they are proposing to enact legislation to outlaw it.

The laws governing hunting in Scotland were brought in when the SNP weren't the majority party.

It says they are proposing to enact legislation to outlaw it.

The laws governing hunting in Scotland were brought in when the SNP weren't the majority party.

I never mentioned the SNP but from their website..

"Legislation over fox hunting is devolved to the Scottish Parliament, and Scotland took the opportunity to ban fox hunting in 2002, some two years before the legislation passed south of the border. There are no plans to repeal this legislation"

my bold

http://www.snp.org/node/15739

I never mentioned the SNP but from their website..

"Legislation over fox hunting is devolved to the Scottish Parliament, and Scotland took the opportunity to ban fox hunting in 2002, some two years before the legislation passed south of the border. There are no plans to repeal this legislation"

my bold

http://www.snp.org/node/15739

Exactly.

There are elements in the party who wish to strengthen it.

It seems ironic that we have to rely on the Scottish Nationalists to force bloodthirsty Cameron to (temporarily at least) give in to the opinion of the vast majority of the English.

No doubt Cameron will try to force this through in the Autumn after he has clipped the SNP's wings.

Lets hope there are enough decent tories to join the rest of the house and vote this vile bill down.

No doubt Cameron will try to force this through in the Autumn after he has clipped the SNP's wings.

Lets hope there are enough decent tories to join the rest of the house and vote this vile bill down.

Let's hope the snp clears off and minds its own business. The irony of their situation is just embarrassing.

Let's hope the snp clears off and minds its own business. The irony of their situation is just embarrassing.

It's Cameron who should be embarrassed .

He tried to sneak this through against the will of most of the country to keep his posh chums happy.

He didn't think the SNP would have the cheek/bottle to vote it down. How wrong he was