Right to buy problem?

Was thinking of buying my council house with my boyfriend but have been told I can't as he's not a joint tenant or family.He's lived with me for the past 12 months and he was going to pay for the house as he has recently sold his.

I am wondering if it is possible to add his name to the deeds if he gave me the money to buy the house?

Best talk to a solicitor or the CAB.

Was thinking of buying my council house with my boyfriend but have been told I can't as he's not a joint tenant or family.He's lived with me for the past 12 months and he was going to pay for the house as he has recently sold his.

I am wondering if it is possible to add his name to the deeds if he gave me the money to buy the house?

RTB works like this, in general terms:

1. The person who has the tenancy (T) can serve the RTB1 Notice.

2. If T is several people (say; T1, T2, and T3), any of them can sign to opt-out as long as at least one is proceeding.

3. Other members of family (O) may be entitled to join-in the purchase, even if not one of T.

4. Even if the others are ineligible, whoever takes the purchase can immediately transfer to O + self.

5. Wherever the parties contribute unequally, as here, ALWAYS ensure that there's a separate Trust Deed. This can record:

a. who pays what to fund the purchase;

b. who's entitled to what %;

c. who has the right to reside;

d. who pays the outgoings and in what shares; and

e. who can or cannot force a sale.

If my partner gives me the money and I go ahead with the rtb in my name, can i add him to the deeds(land registry),say as 50/50?is this possible as he is not eligible for the rtb only me?If this is not possible can I add him later after having bought the property?

Yes, you can transfer the property. But that might present complexities if:

a. it's by then in mortgage; or

b. you + other fail to complete a Trust Deed too.