Looking for Peter Owen Jones paintings

he was my art teacher at KES too, 1977 to 1980. I did not know he was dead. He was a proper old skool artist and was always working on his own oil paintings in the back room......

I have Walkley Winter Sooooo good

sure i can post it later when i get back home, if i can figure out how you post pictures!

Not figured it out then mate....?

Nope! I could email them to you to have a look at!

I have PM'd u.

Nothing in my inbox!

I've had another go...

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 10:52 ----------

I've had another go...

Thanks for those.I do have them in my collection.

I've had another go...

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 10:52 ----------

Thanks for those.I do have them in my collection.

What are the titles of them?

POJ was my art teacher in the late 60s and like Cliffhanger-post 5-I was a truly hopeless case as well.

It was the same with his predecessor at KES, Clarence Helliwell, he would also vanish to the back of the room to create his own masterpieces. Clarry's work was somewhat different, huge canvases that quite frankly I hadn't got a clue what they were about.

POJ though departed this life far too early.

Just spotted this thread; as with others who posted, Peter taught me O and A level art at King Edward VII during the late Sixties and was always very encouraging. I'm pretty sure he used to smoke his pipe in lessons! He got me to design a sticker to go in the school library books, and contribute to the school magazine which he used to put together and illustrate. He also taught us the history of architecture which remains an interest (can you imagine schools offering that now?). I got the speech day art prize a couple of times and went on to study graphic design ... and am still at it! Some time after Meadowhall centre opened, Peter had a stand in a corner selling prints and was working on something new on his easel. So I was able to have a quick chat and say thanks for the lessons. His nostalgic paintings of the city are a great legacy, and you can't help think an exhibition would be very popular, perhaps at the Graves before they flog it off for scrap?

Just spotted this thread; as with others who posted, Peter taught me O and A level art at King Edward VII during the late Sixties and was always very encouraging. I'm pretty sure he used to smoke his pipe in lessons! He got me to design a sticker to go in the school library books, and contribute to the school magazine which he used to put together and illustrate. He also taught us the history of architecture which remains an interest (can you imagine schools offering that now?). I got the speech day art prize a couple of times and went on to study graphic design ... and am still at it! Some time after Meadowhall centre opened, Peter had a stand in a corner selling prints and was working on something new on his easel. So I was able to have a quick chat and say thanks for the lessons. His nostalgic paintings of the city are a great legacy, and you can't help think an exhibition would be very popular, perhaps at the Graves before they flog it off for scrap?

He taught me around then as well - I was at KES 1968-75, when were you there? I too can still remember aspects of his lessons on history of architecture and sometimes amaze those family and friends with odd snippets. Generally enjoyable lessons but I don't think I had any real talent - although did amaze POJ by obtaining a Grade 1 at O level!

One painting I remember was from the area just up from the baths. A small group of us studying "painting" (as opposed to the larger group studying "design") spent several lessons spreading over a few weeks. We included the beginnings of the Hallamshire Hospital being built in the background. For various reasons, including fog and maybe a half term or some such we didn't get to continue for a few weeks. When we returned, they had added a few floors to the hospital which somehow needed adding to our paintings!

Fond memories.

My Peter Jones picture of The Abbeydale Cinema at dusk is one of my most treasured possessions. I feel it could be me on the bike going past the Herbalist's. Or else I might be wheeling a barrowload of washing for my mother to put through the machines in the Heeley Wash-house the following morning. The light fading in the south west after a wet day, with promise of a better day tomorrow, seems to me to be a philosophy for life as well as being a truthful image of weekday evenings in the Fifties.

I have two Peter Owen Jones pictures and love them both! One is 'wet Night' tram on Ecclesall Road near the junction of Greystones Road, the other on is 0f 'Passing night' at Beauchief crossroads. I well remember both areas as they were, very ageing!!