Import taxes and handling fees

... or buy British?

Buy from any EU country and there are no import charges.

I once ordered a load of stuff from China (phone accessories) to sell on eBay. They arrived, via DHL I think, and the delivery driver told me I had to pay a fee of something like £35 which at the time I didn't have. I was a bit naughty and asked if they take cheques, which they did. I wrote them a cheque which I knew would bounce, from an empty account, with the intention of when they got back in touch once it had bounced in the next few days, I would pay it then. They never got back in touch though, I still feel bad.

The OP was talking about a shirt for £16 and he was ripped off with charges to receive from the US. He then suggested that buyers 'go east' to purchase items for real value.

I know there's not much British made stuff to buy in the clothing line, but just suggesting that he might buy British. Maybe I meant buy in England.

no one was ripped off. had the item come from china the duty would be the same.

import duty (usually around 3%) and vat are due of the purchase price plus shipping and packing. as someone has to collect this there is a fee for the service. if anyone was ripped off it was ups who did as contracted only to end up with a shirt they didn't order and a vat bill they paid on trust. it is because folk can't be trusted to pay their dues when the delivery is made that the charges are so high.

i'm thinking the buyer might be a bit of a divi. £16 plus £19 is £35 not £37. however, having been prepared to pay £35 to get a shirt it seems odd to chuck that away and have nothing when you could buy the shirt for £18.75

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 13:32 ----------

... plus UPS's clearance and handling fees.

plus import duty

Edited by drummonds

plus import duty

Not for goods valued under £135 ... as in this case.

I once ordered a load of stuff from China (phone accessories) to sell on eBay. They arrived, via DHL I think, and the delivery driver told me I had to pay a fee of something like £35 which at the time I didn't have.

I have ordered many things from China via Aliexpress and with the more expensive items such as tablets have always paid for DHL shipping, and never once have paid any extra in charges.

Recently ordered an Android TV box costing £63 with DHL delivery, delivered in 5 days and again nothing extra to pay.

Maybe its just good luck?

Buy from any EU country and there are no import charges.

Until we leave the EU, I am old enough to remember the problems of getting scientific equipment in and out of Europe in days long gone bye.

I have ordered many things from China via Aliexpress and with the more expensive items such as tablets have always paid for DHL shipping, and never once have paid any extra in charges.

Recently ordered an Android TV box costing £63 with DHL delivery, delivered in 5 days and again nothing extra to pay.

Maybe its just good luck?

Were the packages declared/marked as "commercial samples" or "gift" (and so not actually insured for their full value, if at all)? Old-as-the-hills trick, be careful not get caught by HMRC.