Will doctor's letter work with the council?

I rent a home with a estate agent, the house has very bad damp/mould/structural problems. The estate agent fobs us off with excuse after excuse and the black mould has made us all ill. There is myself (6 months pregnant) my husband (who has bad asthma and it is worse now) and our 1 and 3 year old sons who have respiratory problems which the doctor has said is more than likely due to mould.

Photo's have been taken, environmental health are visiting soon and the doctor has written us a letter saying that it is imperative for our health and for the baby's when she arrives that we have different accommodation.

We also have been given 2 months notice which we have the letter for this property that we can show the council. I am on the list for a council house but because my husband and I both work full time we are a general band (which is understandable) now what im wondering is..... after enviro health visit and with the notice of end of tenancy, the dr's note saying this house is bad for our health and the possibility of homelessness with a new baby on the way will any of the above help us to get a house any quicker?

I dont want to keep moving house after house with the children as they need to be settled and we cannot afford to buy, we also have no family who could help us with either money or putting us up. Im really worried about what will happen.

Please no nasty comments about us wanting a council house im not a 16 year old getting pregnant to get a flat were married and having bad luck at the moment.

If you are on the housing register you could already be bidding for a council or housing association property, success will often depend on waiting time (how long you've been on the 'list') and making sensible choices. You may also be able get help if you are threatened with homelessness, but the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to take proper advice. Shelter is helpful, they have a free phone number, 0808 800 4444, and also an office in Sheffield.

Working/not working makes no difference to your situation. Your family size would be eligible for a two bedroomed council property, because your children are able to share a bedroom. A baby under a year isn't counted. Housing associations may have different criteria.

There's lots of info you may find helpful here: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/your_housing_situation/homeless_or_at_risk

there is a bidding system in place. I highly recommend looking on sheffield property shop now, and going in/ ringing up tomorrow for some 'first come first served' properties. there are a number of 2 bedroom/ 3 bedroom houses that are available to the first eligble bidder. take a look. some in woodthorpe, low edges, manor top, gleadless. its a roof over your head and sounds like better than where you are now.. take a look