Colosseum Cinema on Spital Hill.

Do'es anyone know when the Colosseum cinema on Spital Hill closed down ? and do'es anyone know what the last film to be shown was ?

Easy,

Closed 2nd Nov 1963

Last Films Walt Disney's Horse without a head and a single showing of savage sam at 7pm

If you want to know anything about old sheffield cinemas, check out my Lost Cinemas Of Sheffield Website

here for details>

http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/cinemas/cinemas.html

List >

http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/cinemas/cine.xml

Wow MuddyCoffee, I've been on your site before, and never realised it was you who wrote it!

I found it really interesting, well done buddy!

K X

Many thanks for that info Muddycoffee, but could not find it on the web site you indicated.

Originally posted by pitsmoorboy

Many thanks for that info Muddycoffee, but could not find it on the web site you indicated.

I don't usually put the final films on, but if there's any more you need, then I can look them up for you in my books about local cinemas which I have.

You're welcome Kristian. And thanks.

I started it over 5 years ago, and people keep helping me with extra info. What I really want is people to scan me any old pictures they have of the old cinemas, to make a full page for each of them. But I can't use ones out of published books as that copyright infringement.

I have about 300 pages of all sorts, all linked from my homepage. All about Rebels, the Limit, Rockreunited, unofficial hendersons relish, ********.com, celebrities real names, prince philip the greek's embarrasing outbursts, campaign for more bank holidays, shop sign spelling mistakes, dead celebrity birthday counter, etc.. etc..

Quote from Muddy coffee.

"I don't usually put the final films on, but if there's any more you need, then I can look them up for you in my books about local cinemas which I have."

What I meant to say is I cant find the Colosseum Cinema on your web site.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

No Problem Pitsmoor.

You are asking why there isn't a dedicated page for the colisseum, I think.

Right, that is because I haven't got an original picture of the place, which I am allowed to use on the web without infringing copyright. All the other pics on the website I have taken myself or have been given to me, by the owner of the photo.

If anybody has a photo, then I would be only too pleased to put a dedicated page for another cinema.

Another aspect about this venue, is I am not entirely sure where the exact location was of the building. If I was certain, then It might be worth taking pics of what's there now, to create a page.

Interesting one this, the Colosseum was the cinema that I proposed to my wife in, 1963 about, that makes me ancient dos'nt it? a petrol station was built there after the cinema was closed, this also has now gone, hav'nt been in that area for years now, so don't know what is there now.

For years, in the 1950's, ( if you couldn't get out before the National Anthem !), they always played Winnifred Attwell's 'Poor People of Paris' as customers were leaving at the end of a performance. Anyone else remember that ?

Who has got the beautiful chandelier?I loved the Collie and the atmosphere,we came out and if we had any dosh left it would be chips and scraps from acrosss the road and then down to the drinks shop on Spital Hill for a stick of cinnamon which we would light and smoke and cough,great times.

No Problem Pitsmoor.

You are asking why there isn't a dedicated page for the colisseum, I think.

Right, that is because I haven't got an original picture of the place, which I am allowed to use on the web without infringing copyright. All the other pics on the website I have taken myself or have been given to me, by the owner of the photo.

If anybody has a photo, then I would be only too pleased to put a dedicated page for another cinema.

Another aspect about this venue, is I am not entirely sure where the exact location was of the building. If I was certain, then It might be worth taking pics of what's there now, to create a page.

I had a look on 'Google Earth' and I reckon the old 'Coli' would've been on the site below the Burngreave Housing Office. From Brunswick Road, the dentist's site is still a dentist, then you've got a library, then the housing office, then a concrete structure which may have been the old 'Coli.' I rather think it was spelled 'Coliseum'. It was the first picture house I ever went in, I was about about four years old ( in 1937). Keep up the good work.

I havn't been down that end for a while but here goes if you walk up Spital Hill when you get to the flat bit where the chip shop and the east house is, walk on the left hand side of the road when you come to where the old shops finnish and newer brickwork begins thats where the Colli was it finished just before the left hand bend is, going towards Andover Street-Brunswick Road-Vestry Hall