Want to find history of our grandparents

Thomas and France's Pywell

Lived at

45 Don rd brightside Sheffield had four children bill - Helen - Phyllis- Hilda

1930 s. ?

Edited by 123 vb
History of grandparents

Hi 123 vb - welcome to the Forum!.:)

I don't know if you have access to family history websites but I've looked at some indexes. I couldn't find a marriage record for Thomas and Frances; there is a birth record of a Hilda Pywell born in Sheffield in 1924. The mother's maiden name is given as Johnson (in 1905 Frederick Edwin Pywell married Martha Johnson in Sheffield). The 1911 census shows a Tom and Ellen Pywell at 45 Don Road. They were then both aged 51; Tom was from Leicestershire and Ellen was from Manchester. Their 4 year-old granddaughter Hilda Worthington lived with them. If you haven't seen the census return and would like to see the page I can post a link to a scan. Thomas Pywell is still shown at 45 Don Road in the 1925 directory (compiled in 1924, the year that Thomas died). Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo of Don Road, taken in 1966.

Thank you

My mother was Hilda pywell born 1924 and her mothers surname was Johnson

So it seems I am on the right track

Sadly my mum past away over 3 years ago

Once again thank you

Hello again. This is a puzzle, as although a Frederick Pywell married a Martha Johnson in 1905, I can't find a Frederick and Martha Pywell in the 1911 census. However, there is a Frederick Edwin and Ada Pywell (at 37 Plowman Street), their ages being given as 27 and 25 respectively. Frederick was born in Manchester and Ada in Sheffield. I cannot find an Ada Johnson in the births index, but there is a Martha Johnson born in Sheffield in the third quarter of 1885, which would make her the right age in April 1911. So perhaps Martha was known as Ada? In regard to forenames, the 1884 birth of "Frederick Edwin" in Manchester was actually registered as "Frederick Edward". But in fact, the deaths index shows that an Ada Pywell of the right age died in Sheffield in 1917, and so this Ada could not be your grandmother, though if she was in fact Martha, then her maiden name was indeed Johnson.

It seems that Frederick remarried in 1920, to Eliza Rouse. Frederick and Eliza both died in Sheffield in 1946.

To refer back to your first post, the Tom and Ellen Pywell who lived at 45 Don Road in 1911 were too old to be your grandparents. They could perhaps have been your great-grandparents, but the intermediate generation is something of a mystery. Also, there is no record of a Frances Johnson marrying anyone with the name Pywell.

I really don't know where we go from here, but it is fair to say that people were sometimes "economical with the truth" on census forms and when registering births etc, claiming to be married when they weren't! In fact my own mother's parents were not married at the time of her birth :blush: but fortunately they belatedly married when she was 9 months old.

Edited by hillsbro

Years ago I knew a Malcolm Pywell, he and his family lived in the Hackenthorpe area S12. I think he had a brother also.

Years ago I knew a Malcolm Pywell, he and his family lived in the Hackenthorpe area S12. I think he had a brother also.

he still lives in hackenthorpe

A Tommy Pywell lives in Grimesthorpe.