Suits And ties, what happened?

anybody here remember when you went on the town dressed to the nines, cuff links, starched collars. always drank halves, because you had to get through a lot of pubs.

Edited by TORONTONY

Certainly do,West street the moor and the Cliffe were my regular hunting grounds.

and didnt we look much smarter than the kids today.neat haircuts polished shoes oh its too much trouble for them these days.

In the 60s no matter which pub you frequented in town e.g. the Adelphi,Red Lion,Wharncliffe,West St Hotel ect.,every bloke wore well made suits, stiff collared shirts,silk ties hankie in top pocket,highly polished shoes,sometimes cravats and don,t forget Crombie overcoats in wintertime!.My mates and I had made to measure suits twice a year at Joe Wildsmiths on Carver St,nowadays its exactly the opposite everybody walks about looking like they have just been working under their car,scruffy gets!.I took the bride for a drink on Ecclesall Road a few months back and while waiting for my drinks at the bar I overheard a group of effeminate looking student types taking the mick about my appearance because I was wearing a nice suit,shirt and tie!.They looked like a bunch of down and outs so I was a bit narked but I kept my mouth shut not that I could do much about it these days I guess I,m old fashioned but I know what I prefer to look like,no one seems to care nowadays about their appearance at all!

Yes - Barney Goodman made-to-measure suits, clean-cut shirts & collars, smart ties and well-polished shoes. You could even have your shirts made to measure at Harrington's in the market - the good old days!.:)

Don't forget the handkerchief carefully folded in the top pocket. I remember you could get a card with points on the top that looked like the real thing.

Interesting how suits changed over the years. The fifties look was a sort of standard look. Then along came the Italian style, shorter jackets no turn-ups (usually worn with winkle-pickers) After this came flares and more flamboyant styling. Then they just sort of disappeared as standard wear except for a sort of corporate look.

In the 60s no matter which pub you frequented in town e.g. the Adelphi,Red Lion,Wharncliffe,West St Hotel ect.,every bloke wore well made suits, stiff collared shirts,silk ties hankie in top pocket,highly polished shoes,sometimes cravats and don,t forget Crombie overcoats in wintertime!.My mates and I had made to measure suits twice a year at Joe Wildsmiths on Carver St,nowadays its exactly the opposite everybody walks about looking like they have just been working under their car,scruffy gets!.I took the bride for a drink on Ecclesall Road a few months back and while waiting for my drinks at the bar I overheard a group of effeminate looking student types taking the mick about my appearance because I was wearing a nice suit,shirt and tie!.They looked like a bunch of down and outs so I was a bit narked but I kept my mouth shut not that I could do much about it these days I guess I,m old fashioned but I know what I prefer to look like,no one seems to care nowadays about their appearance at all!

So where were the long haired bohemian types and the mods and rockers, did they not go out drinking?

I think you're wrong about the amount of effort people make to go out though, it's not as much as it sounds like you made 50 years ago, but very few people out in town are wearing anything dirty, which is what you suggest with the "working under the car" thing.

A pair of jeans can cost as much these days as a suit! Perhaps it's just that you don't know what you're looking at.

---------- Post added 30-05-2015 at 12:03 ----------

Don't forget the handkerchief carefully folded in the top pocket. I remember you could get a card with points on the top that looked like the real thing.

Interesting how suits changed over the years. The fifties look was a sort of standard look. Then along came the Italian style, shorter jackets no turn-ups (usually worn with winkle-pickers) After this came flares and more flamboyant styling. Then they just sort of disappeared as standard wear except for a sort of corporate look.

It's not entirely unusual to see someone wearing a suit in town still

http://www.moss.co.uk/moss-london-slim-fit-light-grey-suit-965404517?s=googleshoppingppc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv6WrBRD4gbngqe7mosYBEiQAIB5oTP9eermW9gwwQ7k8sgLK-oB3BHcOjPHQCT857poC9xoaAnu08P8HAQ

The slim cut, slightly shiny material is in fashion. It all depends on where you're going and who you're going out with.

I'm by no means young, but most evenings out I wear jeans and a t-shirt, maybe 1 in 10 I might wear a suit, by prior arrangement.

So where were the long haired bohemian types and the mods and rockers, did they not go out drinking?

I think you're wrong about the amount of effort people make to go out though, it's not as much as it sounds like you made 50 years ago, but very few people out in town are wearing anything dirty, which is what you suggest with the "working under the car" thing.

A pair of jeans can cost as much these days as a suit! Perhaps it's just that you don't know what you're looking at.

---------- Post added 30-05-2015 at 12:03 ----------

It's not entirely unusual to see someone wearing a suit in town still

http://www.moss.co.uk/moss-london-slim-fit-light-grey-suit-965404517? Ths=googleshoppingppc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv6WrBRD4gbngqe7mosYBEiQAIB5oTP9eermW9gwwQ7k8sgLK-oB3BHcOjPHQCT857poC9xoaAnu08P8HAQ

The slim cut, slightly shiny material is in fashion. It all depends on where you're going and who you're going out with.

I'm by no means young, but most evenings out I wear jeans and a t-shirt, maybe 1 in 10 I might wear a suit, by prior arrangement.

The Full Mossy EH?:hihi::hihi:

Smack on with your views there... 'Tup' ... yeah.. we took time and trouble to appear smart.. (1960s and 70s for me).....no effin'.n.blindin' in front of the ladies either back then...

now it's the ladies what do the effin'.n.blindin'....All you can say is that times have changed..... Hey ! look !... I can still squeeze into my 'Ted Williams' suit..... yeahhhhhh !

Certainly do,West street the moor and the Cliffe were my regular hunting groun

---------- Post added 30-05-2015 at 12:50 ----------

Certainly do,West street the moor and the Cliffe were my regular hunting grounds.

Ah yes West Street, , that was where we usually finished up for the biggest part of the night, but we would call in a few on our way from Pond Street, like the Dove and Rainbow , the Blue Bell, Stone house and whatever else was on our route.Funny how you kept seeing the same groups of lads and lasses all night in different pubs

Edited by TORONTONY

Recently viewed a 1902 tram trip through the town on YouTube, every man and youngish lads had a tie and a suit on . Ladies in dresses they really looked very smart. Today people wear what they can afford formal wear is out . Shame.

Hi Cyclone like you said it was 50yrs ago ,styles change you never saw the hippy types and hair was cut short!.In the 70s I my self had long hair a full beard,flared jeans a Jesus lookalike if you ever could have seen me,of course styles change its the types that seem to be every where scruffy looking not seeming to care what their appearance is!.Having said that there are quite a lot of younger people who do look very smart ,it's just me reminiscing my lost youth,gone but not forgotten!.