Warehouse on Spital Hill

does someone remember i think was a wherehouse / works at the bottom of spitill hill, the name i think was d;wyers been bugging me for ages tried google but no luck so far ??

yes it was dewyers,they were suppliers of household and cleaning products,my friends dad was a van driver there and during school holidays in early 60s we used to go with him in the van.

was it next to the pub on the right going down spittle hill just before the wicker arches ?

It was just below the pub going down Spital Hill on the right , the pub was called something like "the lodge".

It was just below the pub going down Spital Hill on the right , the pub was called something like "the lodge".

'The Lodge Inn' was the name of the pub. a Wm. Stones' house , in mid-60s became 'Smith's Motorcycycles.'

Edited by stpetre
add

I remember Smiths motorcycles very well , the guy who owned it used to go on the East house drinking&when the poll tax riots were going off he stood at the front of his place with a shotgun&funnily enough he never got any windows broken !

I used to work there between1963 and 1966, love to hear from anybody.

used to know a guy who worked there early sixtes, never new his proper name only known him as yogi i think he was a van driver there ?

There was a huge warehouse in the wicker goods yard. We spent hours playing inside after it closed down in the 60s we found a parachute and my mate put it on and jumped out of a window of course it didn't open and he broke his leg. It was set alight in the 70s and it's the biggest fire I've ever seen. We sat on a roof on Spital Hill to watch the fire brigade fight the blaze and the heat generated from it was unbelievable.

That was the old railway bridgehouses that caught fire i think.

There was a huge warehouse in the wicker goods yard. We spent hours playing inside after it closed down in the 60s we found a parachute and my mate put it on and jumped out of a window of course it didn't open and he broke his leg. It was set alight in the 70s and it's the biggest fire I've ever seen. We sat on a roof on Spital Hill to watch the fire brigade fight the blaze and the heat generated from it was unbelievable.

I meant to say the fire was in the 60s not 70s.

That was the old railway bridgehouses that caught fire i think.

Was it the old Wigfalls head office at the time?