Kayser Ellison steel works

I was here in 1968, 1969 wire drawing apprentice George Collins was my gaffer and was always on about my hair being too long

I now work at Ancon its on the same site as Kaysers

Sent you pm motty.

tara

Teach a man to fish and he has to buy a license!

Hi there,

I just done a Web search on Kayser Ellison because I have a lovely little brochure on their steels from 1965, all coloured tabs down the right-hand side and pictures of different processes on each tab. If anyone would like some photos of it, let me know!

My dad worked at Kaysers ,I could hear him driving the big hammer when I was in bed on. phillimore road !

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the Kayser Ellison steel works? My great great grandad (John Thomas Belk) worked there and I was wondering if anyone knew when it first opened and when it closed? Also does anyone have any pictures of it by any chance because theres only one on picturesheffield. Cheers :)

Hi Jen not sure if we could be related or not, I have been researching my family tree and I have a great great great grandfather Thomas Belk that was born in 1860 that was a sprung knife cutler who manufactured on Wilfrid road (which is the road running by Darnall steel works) and also lived at 150 Darnall rd for a time.

My grandfather and great grandfather were also both called Thomas Belk.

I would be really interested to find out any more info. :)

I used to work at Kaysers from 1959- 1967 but that was on Carlisle street .

Kayser Ellison were early backers of Herbert Austin's business, both early on when he started on his own and later when the company had financial problems after the First World War when government orders for munitions were cancelled.

Herbert Austin was educated at Rotherham Grammar School and was friendly with the Kayser family.

Edited by privet

On 18/07/2011 at 16:36, Bald Eagle said:

I worked in the lab at Kayser's from 1963 to 1967 (I think). We used to do steel analysis and get up to some right tricks. Made guncotton and nitroglycerine, both explosives. Still got a piece of silver I reclaimed from the silver salts we used in the analysis of the steel. As a young virgin I was terrified of the buffer lasses who worked there.

The canteen was great and the steak & kidney pie with a suet crust was to die for. I probably started my cholesterol build up there!:hihi:

Used to make ammonium citrate by dissolving citric acid in ammonia, this gave off vast amounts of ammonia gas so we used to make it outside the clocking in house at shift change.:hihi:

Remember a lad whose nickname was Pie, Barry Garlic and Simbo the "ancient" chemist who had his own lab downstairs.

Hi I’m the lad whose nickname was Pie, who are you. Also remember Bill Fidler, went fishing with him and Don Mills a few times, also Ken Capon, Mick Sorby, Robbie, and Keith Sullivan. Remember Lol Barrett the chief chemist and an older guy who worked downstairs whose name I forget.

On 18/07/2011 at 16:36, Bald Eagle said:

I worked in the lab at Kayser's from 1963 to 1967 (I think). We used to do steel analysis and get up to some right tricks. Made guncotton and nitroglycerine, both explosives. Still got a piece of silver I reclaimed from the silver salts we used in the analysis of the steel. As a young virgin I was terrified of the buffer lasses who worked there.

The canteen was great and the steak & kidney pie with a suet crust was to die for. I probably started my cholesterol build up there!:hihi:

Used to make ammonium citrate by dissolving citric acid in ammonia, this gave off vast amounts of ammonia gas so we used to make it outside the clocking in house at shift change.:hihi:

Remember a lad whose nickname was Pie, Barry Garlic and Simbo the "ancient" chemist who had his own lab downstairs.

On 15/09/2013 at 15:29, wharnie said:

Hi I’m the lad whose nickname was Pie. Remember a few from my time there. Went fishing with Don and Bill Fidler a few times in Bills dads standard atlas van. Also remember Ken Capon, Robbie, Mick Sorby and Ray Wilde, who are you.

Hi

I worked in the lab from 1967-1970. I must have just missed you?

had a look at the place a few days ago, its a boxing Gym now.

Barry Garlic rings a bell. You must have known Don, a very good friend to me.