Colosseum Cinema on Spital Hill.

I saw 'Davey Crockett' there when I was a little lad, I lived on Brunswick Rd.

Where a bouts on Brunswick Road did you live Nimrod

Where a bouts on Brunswick Road did you live Nimrod

No 10, Court 4, Brunswick Road on the corner with Bramber Street. Moved when I was 7 in 1956...........One up, one down, one cold tap and toilet down the bottom of the yard in a row with loads of others. As was the case with most of the houses in that area it was a 'back to back'.

Interesting one this, the Colosseum was the cinema that I proposed to my wife in, 1963 about, that makes me ancient dos'nt it? a petrol station was built there after the cinema was closed, this also has now gone, hav'nt been in that area for years now, so don't know what is there now.

You wouldn't be the little Malc from Carwood Crescent,the one who had the Tiger 90? As for the Coliseum,spent 2 t0 3 nights a week in there,lots of memories, only went in the balcony once though.Once came out and it was snowing,across the road a cop was patrolling. I said to my pals lets knock off his helmet with a snowball.Unfortunatly he heard me,called us over, it was the big one from Fitzalan Square on Saturday nights. Scared the s--- out us , asked us if we wanted to go down a nearby alley and try to knock it off. We declined, he said we wern't worth a kick in ____and said goodnight.

where exactly on spital hill was it located

See post 12

The last film I remember seeing there was Swiss Family Robinson when the Colloseum closed we used to play inside.

I had a look on 'Google Earth' and I reckon the old 'Coli' would've been on the site below the Burngreave Housing Office. From Brunswick Road, the dentist's site is still a dentist, then you've got a library, then the housing office, then a concrete structure which may have been the old 'Coli.' I rather think it was spelled 'Coliseum'. It was the first picture house I ever went in, I was about about four years old ( in 1937). Keep up the good work.

Yes Mr T. On my google map too, the boarded up concrete structure you refer to is part of the old service station, at the back-the petrol pumps were at the front-built in 1965 and you got the spelling right 'Coliseum'. To further answer 'Jonny20999' question, on Google-earth it was directly opposite what is now 'Sorby House'-that's where the chip shop was-and in between 'Star Chippy' on the left of screen and the housing office to the right.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Remember going there when I was a kid,think it was Dumbo I saw,it was defo a Disney film.

I saw Samson & Delilah there, Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr, they don't make 'em like that anymore, thank god.