Edmund road drill hall

Around 1963 I used to be in the army cadet force at the edmund road drill hall. I was 15 years old. went on to join teratorials at 17, the regiment was 271 feild artillary.

anyone remember it being a drill hall or is there anyone out there who was in the cadet or teratroials. Would be nice to here from anyone.

I used to live at Duchess Road School. The back entrance was opposite the old Drill Hall. My grandmother used to wait on in the officers mess there years ago.

My goodness! Edmund Road Drill Hall is a place I’d almost forgotten about. I think it would be around 1938-39 when I went there with my father to see my first pro boxing match. The main event was a middleweight contest between ‘Ginger’ Sadd — then an area champion — and his challenger Ernie “Butcher’ Gasgoigne (spelling may be wrong). Sadd won, I believe on points.

Looking back, they were both probably at the end of their fighting career and Ernie — a Rotherham man who I believe worked at Steel, Peach and Tozer’s — was definitely a bit on the fat side. Good fight though!

Edmund Rd drill hall used to have the chrysanthemum show evey year, a fantastic event. Why do let events like that die out?

They have also held the Sheffield Show there.

I used to live at Duchess Road School. The back entrance was opposite the old Drill Hall. My grandmother used to wait on in the officers mess there years ago.

Hi Scout, Funny enough I used to tend the bar and waiter at the tables in the offices mess, If I remember right it was a guy called sergant Glover who was in charge of the mess when I was there, I am now 57 yeras old

My first experience of the Drill Hall would be about 1947 when my dad took me a TA 'open day' - lots of impressive equipment for a young lad to mess around on :D

In later years I remember lots of 'shows' there, - cats, dogs, flowers, budgies...even meeces and rabbits. Pretty sure they're still held there, - well dog shows anyway.

Jauntyone - unfortunately my grandmother is now dead but she was 92 when she died. I don't think the same sergeant would hve been there then!

I was in the A.C.C. attatched to the 271st back in 1965. Used to enjoy the weekly attendences there. The cook sergeant was called Smith, and I remember helping to prepare a posh do for the officers..Did camps at Thetford and Tenby.

Hi cliffkid

I do remember the weekends and fourtnigt camps. I ffound tenby a lovely town, in fact Afriend of mine went therefor a holiday and described what is was like, when she came back she said it was very much like what I had described it, so it had not changed very much. Aww appy days

They used to hold the ideal home exhibitions there,i remember Fletchers bread demonstrating how the made sliced bread. At the end of the night they

gave away all the loaves they'd made,i used to live opposite the big side doors and made several trips with arms full. Years later i joined 271 Lt A D regt. YUP"" one way or another i've spent alot of time at the Drill Hall.

my grandad was sgt clover(joe) who lived and worked at edmund rd drill hall up to clarkes taking over in 1975.my mum michelle(micky) worked in the officers mess.my dad mick was in 271 p.batlery with colin and stewart clover(my uncles),paul o`leary and the fieldhouse brothers.