Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Has anyone got any wonderful memories of this once beautiful street?

My Grandfather owned the betting shop at 119.

It was a brilliant place to live in the sixties ( that's when I was a boy )

every shop you could want was in two small streets, the other one being Netherthorpe place.

Ray Hudson still has a newsagent shop there.

any reminiscences welcome about my old street.

My name is Brian and I lived behind 119 then 117( it was a cobblers shop )

I was born on Meadow Street close to the junction of St. Philips Road. It was demolished in 1959 as part of the slum clearance. I remember Hudson's newsagents (which remained there for many years). It was (I think) run by Joe Hudson in the 50s. We used to buy fireworks there in Oct/Nov. Next door to Hudson's was Gebhardts butchers/deli where you could buy the best pork balm cakes I ever tasted. I recall there was a French-style cast iron urinal in the middle of the road at one end of Meadow Street. It was just a short stroll down Scotland Street and you were at West Bar and then into the City Centre. Other landmarks were the Royal Infirmary and Upperthorpe library

Thanks for the reply MOJOWORKING.

We were the last family to move from there in 1969, We were offered a place on the then new KELVIN FLATS but I had two young brothers and my Mother said there was nowhere for them to play, so we exchanged for a house on PARSON CROSS.

The entry to our yard was bang opposite the urinal you mentioned, between WRAYS BUTCHERS and BISHOP AND SONS PRINTERS.

As I mentiond in my original posting RAY HUDSON ( JOE'S SON ) has a newsagent shop on the site of his dad's old one, ( I have photo's of it )

It would be nice to hear of any more memories you have if you have the time, or if you have anything to ask me, please feel free to do so.

All the best.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

There are some great old photos of Meadow Street on the Picture Sheffied site. I've found 18 pics at this URL: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/hpac.pl

There's even one of the famous urinal we've discussed!

Do you remember Port Mahon? I always get confused as to exactly where it was in releation to Meadow Street. I remember my mum would always talk about going shopping on Port Mahon and assumed it was located between Meadow and Scotand streets. But I could be wrong

MOJOWORKING

Thanks for the link,

Some photo's I haven't seen on there.

as for the PORT MAHON it was actually NETHERTHORPE PLACE,

this is where the port mahon post office was situated, so you were guessing the wrong end of meadow street.

Thanks again and take care.

Bri.

Hi Brian,

Are you aware of the book that's available about the area around Meadow Street? It was written by a man who grew up in Martin Street in the 40s/50s. It basically describes his day to day life as a kid and is very funny in parts. It's still on sale in Sheffield, I believe. Let me know if you want more details. BTW, if you do a search on Netherthorpe place in the Picture Sheffied site, there's a great photo of Hudson's Newagents in the 50s

MOJOWORKING

Yes I saw the photo, but it is one I already have in my collection.

when was the last time you saw the area, as it has changed so much over the years. The MEADOW STREET HOTEL is still there, and GEBHARDS building beside where Joe's used to be.

if you would like to see some of my photo's I shall be happy to send them.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I drove through the area briefly in 1991. Apart from that, I haven't been there since the late 70s. I'd love to see your photos. Re. the book I mentioned. It's called Weerz Me Dad? by Fred Pass

Originally posted by mojoworking

I was born in Watery Lane which ran off Meadow Street close to the junction of St. Philips Road. It was demolished in 1959 as part of the slum clearance. I remember Hudson's newsagents (which remained there for many years). It was (I think) run by Joe Hudson in the 50s. We used to buy fireworks there in Oct/Nov. Next door to Hudson's was Gebhardts butchers/deli where you could buy the best pork balm cakes I ever tasted. I recall there was a French-style cast iron urinal in the middle of the road at one end of Meadow Street. It was just a short stroll down Scotland Street and you were at West Bar and then into the City Centre. Other landmarks were the Royal Infirmary and Upperthorpe library

My Aunt and Uncle lived at the top of Watery Lane. My cousins are named Carol and John Sherwin, ring any bells ?

Thanks for your post Banksia,

I could'nt believe it when I saw the name of my best mate John.

I have'nt seen him since we left in 1969 and over the last few years I have been wondering what became of him, as I have been putting together a little book on my life back then, and he is included.

I am sure if you mention a three wheeler bike and The royal Infirmary to him he will remember me.

Please get in touch again soon.

Herbie.

Originally posted by herbiegrass

Thanks for your post Banksia,

I could'nt believe it when I saw the name of my best mate John.

I have'nt seen him since we left in 1969 and over the last few years I have been wondering what became of him, as I have been putting together a little book on my life back then, and he is included.

I am sure if you mention a three wheeler bike and The royal Infirmary to him he will remember me.

Please get in touch again soon.

Herbie.

I will be in touch as soon as I have any news on John's whereabouts. Glad I made your day !