R.A.F at home.. 1954

Rummaging through our loft..I found an old diary of my mother's... and reading bits and bobs .. she wrote of a R.A.F open day at 'Norton' aerodrome'... it was during September 1954... among other things.. planes flew over and anti aircraft guns fired blanks which made my chest thump ! I'd be 8 and clearly remember being there... Does anyone else .. recall the day..?

They had 'Open day' for at least a few years after that, I went a couple of times in the late 1950's

They had 'Open day' for at least a few years after that, I went a couple of times in the late 1950's

I often heard of it and yes in the late '50s but what actually 'went on' there ?

I often heard of it and yes in the late '50s but what actually 'went on' there ?

Gotcha'.. 'stpetre'../... I remember mostly.. plenty of uniformed staff showing exhibits of flying stuff..and aircraft bits and bobs../.. the A.A guns banging away.. and low flying aircraft swooping in over the crowds' heads... as far as I remember.. I don't think there has ever been an actual runway up at Norton.

In the late 50s early 60s it was a repair depot for Ground Radar Equipment

Edited by bazjea

Gotcha'.. 'stpetre'../... I remember mostly.. plenty of uniformed staff showing exhibits of flying stuff..and aircraft bits and bobs../.. the A.A guns banging away.. and low flying aircraft swooping in over the crowds' heads... as far as I remember.. I don't think there has ever been an actual runway up at Norton.

I remember going with my dad around that time. Still remember dad talking with the airmen at the exhibits. He was ex RAF an instrument mechanic during the war I also remember the fly pasts. The open day was probably near Battle of Britain Day, September 15th.

Im positive I went there as a young kid back in the late 70's and watched a racing car whizzing about as part of a show, but I've never found any reference to it anywhere.

...The open day was probably near Battle of Britain Day, September 15th.
Yes that's correct - I think it was the nearest Saturday to 15 September. Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo of displays in the hangar on 17 September 1955. I recall going to the 1960 event which I think must have been one of the last.

I remember going 2/3 times to Norton in the late 50,s, one year stands out as i recall there was a Hawker Hunter on show. My fathers birthday was the 14thSept. so he celebrated both his birthday and the Battle of Britain day. I also remember they put on special buses from Pond St. direct to there. Happy memories.

I too remember the Hawker Hunter on show, I also remember a Victor? and Valliant flying over the Manor to do a fly past over Norton, happy days.

I was a fifteen year old ATC cadet in 1958 and we were 'on duty' that year at Norton for the air show. Some interesting aircraft flying past and I was chuffed to be allowed to sit in the mark 24 Spitfire which was the gate guardian there. That same Spitfire is now refurbished and on display at the RAF museum, Hendon.

1953 or 52 I was an airframe mech on a Lincoln bomber squadron and we were on standby for BB day flypasts. I spoke to our 'Chiefy' mech who said we would'nt be flying and I could go home for the weekend (Without a pass) if I went through a well known hole in the fence. Hitch-hiked to Sheffield, changed into civvies and went up to RAF Norton with the lads. Only been there a short time when admiring a Lincoln flypast on 3, 2 & then 1 engine whenI noticed its registration no 444, one of ours. Dashed home ,changed and caught the first train to Lincoln and got in by the skin of my teeth. Good old 'Chiefy' had covered for me.