County Hotel, 70 Howard Street.

Seen a couple of photos of Howard Street both dated 1967 of the County Hotel it was opposite the Cossack pub . I don't think the building their now as the only pub on Howard Street is the Globe. Does anyone recall the County Hotel any ideas when it closed or may have memories of the hotel?

Seen a couple of photos of Howard Street both dated 1967 of the County Hotel it was opposite the Cossack pub . I don't think the building their now as the only pub on Howard Street is the Globe. Does anyone recall the County Hotel any ideas when it closed or may have memories of the hotel?

Lol, you could rent rooms by the hour there.

The Howard Hotel is still open and yes, I can remember the County Hotel I went there in the late 70s.

Were you a regular their?

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 15:22 ----------

The Howard Hotel is still open and yes, I can remember the County Hotel I went there in the late 70s.

Not been in the Howard for years the last time I was in that pub had a load of football supporters in. Any idea what beer the County sold?

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 15:22 ----------

Not been in the Howard for years the last time I was in that pub had a load of football supporters in. Any idea what beer the County sold?

Not 100% sure but I think it was Whitbreads.

Never set foot in the place. I think it was residential only but it may have had a bar. A pal of mine used it on occasion. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Could you get one for a half an hour? That would be more than enough for most guys lol

Never set foot in the place. I think it was residential only but it may have had a bar. A pal of mine used it on occasion. I'll ask him next time I see him.

It did have a Bar. I think it wad actually owned by the same people as The Howard Hotel. I remember my friends coming down from Glasgow and staying the night there in 1980. 1 also remember having an interview there the following year for a managerial position with Stanley Racing, got the job offer but did not fancy the 6 weeks training in Liverpool ( I would have jumped at the chance if The Liverpool today had been the same 35 years ago

In the 1930s it was a temperance hotel. My great-uncle Albert and his teetotal (masochistic) mates used to "drink" there. :P

It did have a Bar. I think it wad actually owned by the same people as The Howard Hotel. I remember my friends coming down from Glasgow and staying the night there in 1980. 1 also remember having an interview there the following year for a managerial position with Stanley Racing, got the job offer but did not fancy the 6 weeks training in Liverpool ( I would have jumped at the chance if The Liverpool today had been the same 35 years ago
it was owned by mr mrs gilson in the late sixties j

The Country Hotel roughly closed in 1986. Had a look on 'Picture Sheffield' website the last photo taken of the hotel was in 1986 and it looks closed down. Then the next photo I found of the same area were the hotel stood is dated 1996 the building is gone and replaced by the present building.

it was owned by mr mrs gilson in the late sixties j

That's correct and they also owned the Howard