Remember Surprise Peas

Anyone remember Bachelor's "Surprise" pea's .My father devised the name and designed the packaging.Unfortunately frozen peas superseded them .

Anyone remember Bachelor's "Surprise" pea's .My father devised the name and designed the packaging.Unfortunately frozen peas superseded them .

I bought some for my daughter when she went backpacking to North Yorks in her last year of primary school 20 years ago, despite following the instructions they were still like bullets after cooking them on a camping stove!

Named after Surprise View apparently, which overlooked the company's boss. Stand to be corrected.

Remember,I'm at the age where I could get them every day.

pea's? I have vague recollections. What was the surprise?

pea's? I have vague recollections. What was the surprise?

That they were inedible. :D

You got chapped legs :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

They were great, the surprise came after boiling water had been poured on dry miserable peas and you found them to be delicious, impressive product, just as nice as frozen peas and not be confused with the old peas that had tho be soaked in water for ages. I once visited the factory and was amazed to see lorries driving in straight from the fields with shelled peas heaped up and overhead was miles of tubing with peas rattling through them. Should be marketed again, they would be popular.

the old national carriers warehouse on Brightside lane used to store lots of batchelors stuff and I can remember loading them onto lorries to be delivered to all over the country

lol whats the surprise?

they wernt actually peas? :gag:

they were big green hard b............oh ok ill leave it up to the imagination ;)

OK you've all had a laff, but I worked at Bachelors up Claywheels Lane for two summers around '68 and '69 when surprise peas were being processed - so I know!

They were the best peas in Lincolnshire and would arrive round the clock on huge artics within a few hours of being picked [peas go manky really fast]. Each batch was sampled with something called a tenderometer [i'm not making this up] and the very best were sent to the surprise peas lines. The lines were like something out of a sci-fi movie - perforated metal beds dozens of yards long and about 2 yards wide, which I think were vibrated so the peas rolled gently down them whilst very hot air was blown up through them to dry them. This produced an atmosphere around the lines of 100% humidity and about 90 degrees F. Every half an hour or so a hooter sounded and all the lads working on the lines had to drink a glass of salted orange juice to stop them passing out [no really, I'm not making this up]. Fortunately for Bachelors the fresh pea season coincided with the university hols - so they could run the lines on the sweated labour of students. But by eck the pay was good. I worked nights driving a dumper truck shovelling up all the peas that fell of the lines and taking them down to a washer to be turned into animal feed [so they told me]. The works canteen was fantastic and even though I sweated buckets I put on pounds.

Yeah, the peas were great - small, sweet and juicy. Much nicer than frozen.