Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi Brian, I can remember a Nellie Maybury who I think used to get up on the stage & sing a couple of songs, she was a small blonde lady & I think she lived on Chambers Lane. The only male singer was a Kevin don't know his surname. I think Nellie's husband's name was Ernest Maybury. Jean J

-----------------

Hi Jean, Thanks for your reply, yes Nellie was has you say a blonde

and a good singer and Ernest was her husband.

I was never sure where they lived only it wasn't far from the club,

i know they both moved to Pitsmoor sometime in the 70s.

----------

Did you ever go in Grimesthorpe club. Brian.

Hi Brian, yes I went in the club quite often, a lot of my husbands family were members. Jean J

My uncle Jimmy Littlewood lived on Chambers lane was always in Grimesthorpe Club

-----------------

Hi Jean, Thanks for your reply, yes Nellie was has you say a blonde

and a good singer and Ernest was her husband.

I was never sure where they lived only it wasn't far from the club,

i know they both moved to Pitsmoor sometime in the 70s.

----------

Did you ever go in Grimesthorpe club. Brian.

I knew a 'middle aged' couple -I don't think they were married- that moved from Grimesthorpe in the '70's that lived on Clun Street. They frequented the 'Crown Inn' on Forncett Street and Nellie was the cleaner there. Ernest was a junior (teenage) footballer with Huddersfield Town in the 1940's , not a bad achievement for a Sheffield lad considering the team they had then !

Edited by stpetre
Edit

Hi Brian, yes I went in the club quite often, a lot of my husbands family were members. Jean J

------------------

Hiya Jean J, Skippy put two names on post page 61 No 1202,

i think it was Kevin Vincent that got up to sing on the odd nights.

Me and my family use too sit at side of the committee box at w/ends,

i knew lots of people in the club but names are a blank these days.

One couple that went in regular was a Mr/Mrs Huckle sat upstairs under

window facing stage and they lived up Grimesthorpe Rd just below

Gledhalls shop. Brian

Edited by brian1941
Spelling

Does anybody know if the reservoir that was on Wincobank hill is still around, it was visible from Grimesthorpe? It was situated on the righthand side of the hill, obviously you couldn't see the water from that far but you could see the structure, it appeared to be square and made of red brick. As you got closer I think there was a railing around which we on occasion would climb over and get into the water just to say 'we'd been in the water'. I wonder what it's purpose was? Was it for agricultural reasons and again is it still there?

HI Fleetwood, yes the reservoir is still there, I can see just a little bit of the railings now, because of the trees that have grown round it.

As far as I am aware it is still in use. It gives a higher pressure of water for the steel works.

HI Fleetwood, yes the reservoir is still there, I can see just a little bit of the railings now, because of the trees that have grown round it.

As far as I am aware it is still in use. It gives a higher pressure of water for the steel works.

Thanks geotom - Yes you and 'kinjuro' have both confirmed it was used for an industrial purpose and by all accounts is still around. fleetwood

Does anybody know if the reservoir that was on Wincobank hill is still around, it was visible from Grimesthorpe? It was situated on the righthand side of the hill, obviously you couldn't see the water from that far but you could see the structure, it appeared to be square and made of red brick. As you got closer I think there was a railing around which we on occasion would climb over and get into the water just to say 'we'd been in the water'. I wonder what it's purpose was? Was it for agricultural reasons and again is it still there?

Whilst at the River Don works (Hawke St)we once rebuilt 2 water pumps by the side of the Don,I was told they fed water up to the this reservoir.

Thanks beezerboy - Fancy that, its a small world isn't it.

I bet you can still remember where her birth mark was, hahahaha.

---------------

Grimesthorpe Club.

Hi Trev, Have got some committee names put together, will you

remember any of these i bet you'll pick at least four.

Harry Palmer -- Oscar Wild -- Cyril Seaman -- Reg Allen -- Bill Hanwell

Harry Cross --Bill Gasby -- Keith Little just for a short time,

A chap called Paddy ? Your's Brian

Hi Brian, I saw 'Paddy' recently, he lives over Handsworth now, if you saw him you would instantly recognise him, he hasn't changed.