Did Ansell's brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

The Nailmakers , actually come to think off it was it not owned by Scottish & Newcastle. Also the nearby Bagshawe Arms was the only Yates Wine Lodge that I remember in Sheffield although there were plenty in Greater Manchester /Lancashire wondering which brewery they were affiliated to ?

Thank you, Mr V. I some how think that the 'Nailmaker's' was a 'Free House' that sold 'Younger's'. There was a 'Yates' Wine Lodge' on Norfolk Street across from the bottom of Chapel Walk.

.........There was a 'Yates' Wine Lodge' on Norfolk Street across from the bottom of Chapel Walk.

Wasn't it Hays Wine Vaults? You used to get spirits in 1/4 gill measures there.

The Nailmakers , actually come to think off it was it not owned by Scottish & Newcastle. Also the nearby Bagshawe Arms was the only Yates Wine Lodge that I remember in Sheffield although there were plenty in Greater Manchester /Lancashire wondering which brewery they were affiliated to ?

Yes the 'Nailmaker's' thank you, of which I hope I did not imply was 'Scottish and Newcastle owned' but sold 'Younger's' beer, as it was a 'Free House' as was (at least in the 1960's) the 'Big Gun' in the Wicker that also sold 'Younger's'.

---------- Post added 13-07-2016 at 13:23 ----------

Wasn't it Hays Wine Vaults? You used to get spirits in 1/4 gill measures there.

Yes Jim it was 'Hay's' and I believe it had two names. I must have seen a 'Yates' somewhere (not the Division Street one.) Perhaps the one at Norton?

Edited by stpetre
Add

I am pretty sure Stones had a dark mild in the early 60's, but don't know if it was in every Stones pub. My first pub was the Atlas in Brinsworth and it was a free house, which was a rarity in those days. They definitely had a dark mild, and I do believe it was Stones.

Stones did have a dark mild you are quite right.

---------- Post added 13-07-2016 at 14:37 ----------

Really ! Was the old Mulberry Tavern- a regular mid-sixties haunt of mine- a 'Hammond's' place ? I never took notice of the house beer (I was 18-19) and they had 'Watney's Red Barrel'. Bill Nolan landlord then.

The Mulberry was a Richdales pub, I believe the brewery was in the Bramall lane area. Later it became Stones.

I know Mick Nolan the last tenant of the old Mulberry and son of Bill, he confirms this.

Also Bentleys brewery was in Canklow where the Rank Hovis building now stands. It was purchased by Hammonds in the early 60s, they in turn were purchased by Bass.

Edited by Ted Heath

Stones did have a dark mild you are quite right.

---------- Post added 13-07-2016 at 14:37 ----------

The Mulberry was a Richdales pub, I believe the brewery was in the Bramall lane area. Later it became Stones.

I know Mick Nolan the last tenant of the old Mulberry and son of Bill, he confirms this.

Also Bentleys brewery was in Canklow where the Rank Hovis building now stands. It was purchased by Hammonds in the early 60s, they in turn were purchased by Bass.

Of course there were two Mulberry's, the original on Mulberry Street (Bill Nolan) and the later one, built behind it on Arundel Gate (Mick Nolan) how did 'Richdales' get into this ? weren't they and brewery gone in perhaps the '50s. I started going in the 'old' one in 1965 when I was 18, and had -until Sheffield Forum- never heard of 'Richdale's'

Edited by stpetre

Of course there were two Mulberry's, the original on Mulberry Street (Bill Nolan) and the later one, built behind it on Arundel Gate (Mick Nolan) how did 'Richdales' get into this ? weren't they and brewery gone in perhaps the '50s. I started going in the 'old' one in 1965 when I was 18, and had -until Sheffield Forum- never heard of 'Richdale's'

The old Mulberry was originally a Richdales pub. It had become Stones (therefore Bass) when it was demolished. I think Richdales brewery was in the Bramall Lane area. Mick Nolan was the last tenant, he is currently on holiday on the south coast and I wont see him for a week or so, when I do I will be able to flesh the info out a bit.

The new Mulberry opened on November 6th 1976. The first manager was Mick Lee and he stayed there until about 1981.He looked like and was often confused with Terry Steeples who was the licensee at the Black Swan for many years.

I seem to remember Ansell's merged in the early 60's and became Ind Coope Tetley Ansell

Did Ansell’s Brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

I’ve read through this interesting thread, and would like to (will) add a few bits to it. Any inaccuracies are undeliberate, so please don’t ‘bar’ me. I don’t claim to have supped at all the pubs mentioned in this pooast.

In(n) no particular order:

1. I can’t recall any Ansell’s pubs in Sheffield. I remember an opticians shop called Ansell’s though, on Pinstone Street. They had the glasses but not the beer.

2. The Office pub at Upperthorpe was a Shipstones pub at one time at one time when it was called Eversley House. The British Oak at Mosborough was also a Shipstones.

3. I can only recall three home ales pubs. The Whitehart next to the church at Eckington bottom, Fiery Fred at Darnall, and the Pomona on Ecclesall rooad. The Pomona then became a Youngers (Scottish & Newcastle) pub. Other Youngers were the Nailmakers Arms at Norton, the Claymore (Newcastle Brown on draft) in town. The Athol hotel on Cross Burgess Street or Charles Street, was also a Youngers (previously Shipstones?). The derelict Carwood (Tetley) on Carlisle Street East (or Carlisle Road?) was later done-up by Youngers and became a video-bar (?) called Whispers.

4. The original Mulberry Tavern was a Richdale pub, but were later bought out by Hammonds (?), saucy sods. Let it be clear that Hammond Inns didn’t have any connections to Hammond Innes. The pub was demolished 1973 then re-built in 1976, as a bass (Stones) pub on the same site. Bring back the original version! From my private collection.

The Half Moon on Mather Road near the Darnall Greyhound track was also a Hammonds house at one time. Don’t forget Nell’s on Cambridge Street.

5. Did any of you ever drink Brew X (ten)? and Brew XI (eleven)? I drank brew X at Dog & Partridge on Attercliffe Rooad. As for Brew XI, I supped it in Congleton (Cheshire) when I was in the T.A. (tight arses) in 1972-74.

6. Bentleys beer has at one time or another been sold at:

Dog & Partridge – Attercliffe Road

Robin Hood – Aughton

Bronx – Saville Street East

Ball Inn – Upwell Street

Rockingham Arms – Rockingham Street

Wellington – Brightside Lane

Bentleys was also available at the Spa Club at Frecheville in late 60s – early 70s, although the Spa club selled mainly Whitbread products. I assume Whitbread bought-out Bentleys, but maybe Bass had shared in Bentleys, hence some Stones pubs in the above list.

Is there a connection atween Bentley (BYB) in Woodlesford, and Bentley Old brewery in Rotherham?

The Horseshoe (horses hoe) Inn on Bellhouse Road also sold at one time Bentleys Rotherham ales.

--

Reight, it’ll soon be last orders. Let’s crack on

7. Mansfield beer. When I had dranked a few pints of bitter, I always had the feeling I’d ‘etten a big bagful of cooking apples. LOL

I’ve supped Mansfields at … but not all in one day:

Surrey & Fringe (Outdoors and Indoors) (later Surrey, then Graduate) – Surrey street

Howard (Hotel) (previously Tetley) – Howard Street

Golden Plover – Hackenthorpe

Hackenthorpe Social Club

Fairways Golf Course – Birley Lane

Trades and Labour Club – Duke Street

Double Top – Watterthorpe

Pike & Heron – Cansley

Fulwood Inn – Ranmoor

Little Mesters (later Burtonwoods beer) – Broomhall.

8. I’ve also supped Burtonwoods at:

The Wellington at Langsett Road / Wood Street. It was previously a Tetley pub, now the Hillsborough Hotel.

The Red Lion (previously Tetley) on Duke Street. Paul and Anne (?) Hodson managed the pub mid ‘90s.

9. Kings Arms – Commercial Street was definitely a Higsons pub, in my time til it cloised 70-71ish? Whether the beer was brewed in Liverpool or under license by Whitbread in Sheffield, I couldn’t say. It was not a Hammonds pub, unless before my time.

In this shot from 1968 you can see (magnifying glasses at the ready) on the right below the bank, a Bass sign, followed by the Higson brewery sign. That’s where the Kings Arms stood. Directly across the road is the Gas Company. A pace or two higher up from the gas place is a sign fixed to the wall. That’s the Gambit Chinese restaurant. I believe they got cloised down for having haif-a-dog hanging in the fridge / freezer. I hate to think what they had in the beer.

Anyroad, the entrance to the Kings Arms was a big revolving door. Inside, the ground-level had a full-sized snooker / billiards table. Up the wide carpeted staircase to the first-floor was a bar where ‘men’ of a different leaning sipped their drinkies. I enjoyed snooker so stayed downstairs. LOL. Kings arms was demolished 72-73ish?

I have also drunk Higsons, at Everton Supporters Club, in Liverpool (1973?), on the day I saw Liverpool beat Newcastle United 2-1. I was there for autographs, Liverpool, Newcastle, and waiting for Everton players returning from their match at Coventry (?).

10. Does anybody recall wetching the Strippers, stripping-off at Sunday dinner-time at the Dog & Partridge (Stones) Attercliffe Road, and at the Staniforth Arms (Whitbread), Staniforth Road? This was during the 90s. We usually wetched the first 3 strips (missed out on the fourth) at the Staniforth, then sprinted down the hill to the Dog & Partridge for last orders and more importantly the final strip. If anybody starts a thread about their memories of that time, then I’d like to do a detailed post of that time. This is also an invite for the strippers to post, they may remember me in the front row. LOL. I remember a bloke used to drive up from Mansfied every Sunday without fail.

11. Home Ales and Shipstones Ales have started brewing again, in Nottingham.

12. I started drinking in 1969 when I was fiveteen. I enjoyed to travel around the pubs in search of pinball machines. I once got fined £3 at Nursery Street Juvenile Court in 1971. My first ever pint was at the Foresters (Whitbread) on Division Street. I was with my work mates from Davy’s Fargate shop. Mine hosts at the Foresters were Bill and Maggie Stewart. Always smartly dressed they were.

Prost Kumpi.

Extra:

13. Some pubs my mate Cuttsie (here here here here here here and here) has supped in(n). This bus would have taken him part of the way to some of these pubs.

14. Stuff Ansells!!

Cracking write up!!

Just a few points to discuss.

1) I can't recall any Ansells pubs and I doubt there were ( but never say never), the closest one I recall was the Trent Bridge Inn, Nottingham.

3) Home Ales also had one in Holmesfield, although I can't remember it's name .

6) There were 3 Bentley Breweries, Woodlesford, Rotherham and Lockwood Rd, Huddersfield , they were run by different strands of the Bentley family.

7) I believe The Golden Plover was Bass/Stones, it wasn't impossible to our have drunk Mansfield in there though, in the late 70's ? Bass had a long running dray strike and tenants were allowed to buy out .

9) Interesting one now , I am very dubious that Higsons, which was hardly found out of West Lancs would be in Sheffield...however if you are certain then I accept that , the sign though is too indistinct to be positive and the beermat I think comes from a slightly later date ) Higsons signs around that time tended to be a red Liver Bird.

However Duncan Gilmours on the Lady's Bridge brewed Windsor Ales, which apparently came from their Liverpool heritage, Higsons purchased the Windsor Brewery in Liverpool around the first world war....perhaps the two company's had a good relationship and sold a bit on each others patch...we need a Liverpool brewery historian to tell us if Gilmours was sold on Merseyside.!!

Ansells were owned by Allied Brweries who also owned Tetleys. It follows geographically that Allied Breweries sold Ansells mainly in the West Midlands and Tetleys in the North. They had a keg beer which was Double Diamond and I think their lager was Skol.

John Smiths were owned by Courage including Watneys (take over 1970). We didn't see Courage pubs in the north as John Smiths were its representative up here. Their keg beer was Courage Tavern and their lager was Hofmeister (follow the bear?)

The Home Ales pub at Holmesfield I think was called the Travellers - opposite the Horns Inn (a Whitbread pub)

Whitbreads were a large independent. Their keg beer was Whitbread Tankard. Obviously their main bitter was Whitbread Trophy (TV advert featuring Stanley(?) - the beer that excels). Lager was Heineken.

Stones was owned by Bass Charrington. Their keg beer was Worthington E. Struggling to think of the lager they sold. Bass also owned Mitchell and Butlers in the West Midlands.

The Monopolies and Mergers Commission took exception to these huge companies controlling the brewing and retail of beers. Major changes to what we have now. Pub cos. large breweries and small independent breweries.

Is it better? Not sure. I have fond memories of all those beers but it maybe more to do with that at my age everything was better back then.

Edited by abbeyedges

Did Ansell’s Brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

I’ve read through this interesting thread, and would like to (will) add a few bits to it. Any inaccuracies are undeliberate, so please don’t ‘bar’ me. I don’t claim to have supped at all the pubs mentioned in this pooast.

In(n) no particular order:

1. I can’t recall any Ansell’s pubs in Sheffield. I remember an opticians shop called Ansell’s though, on Pinstone Street. They had the glasses but not the beer.

2. The Office pub at Upperthorpe was a Shipstones pub at one time at one time when it was called Eversley House. The British Oak at Mosborough was also a Shipstones.

3. I can only recall three home ales pubs. The Whitehart next to the church at Eckington bottom, Fiery Fred at Darnall, and the Pomona on Ecclesall rooad. The Pomona then became a Youngers (Scottish & Newcastle) pub. Other Youngers were the Nailmakers Arms at Norton, the Claymore (Newcastle Brown on draft) in town. The Athol hotel on Cross Burgess Street or Charles Street, was also a Youngers (previously Shipstones?). The derelict Carwood (Tetley) on Carlisle Street East (or Carlisle Road?) was later done-up by Youngers and became a video-bar (?) called Whispers.

4. The original Mulberry Tavern was a Richdale pub, but were later bought out by Hammonds (?), saucy sods. Let it be clear that Hammond Inns didn’t have any connections to Hammond Innes. The pub was demolished 1973 then re-built in 1976, as a bass (Stones) pub on the same site. Bring back the original version! From my private collection.

The Half Moon on Mather Road near the Darnall Greyhound track was also a Hammonds house at one time. Don’t forget Nell’s on Cambridge Street.

5. Did any of you ever drink Brew X (ten)? and Brew XI (eleven)? I drank brew X at Dog & Partridge on Attercliffe Rooad. As for Brew XI, I supped it in Congleton (Cheshire) when I was in the T.A. (tight arses) in 1972-74.

6. Bentleys beer has at one time or another been sold at:

Dog & Partridge – Attercliffe Road

Robin Hood – Aughton

Bronx – Saville Street East

Ball Inn – Upwell Street

Rockingham Arms – Rockingham Street

Wellington – Brightside Lane

Bentleys was also available at the Spa Club at Frecheville in late 60s – early 70s, although the Spa club selled mainly Whitbread products. I assume Whitbread bought-out Bentleys, but maybe Bass had shared in Bentleys, hence some Stones pubs in the above list.

Is there a connection atween Bentley (BYB) in Woodlesford, and Bentley Old brewery in Rotherham?

The Horseshoe (horses hoe) Inn on Bellhouse Road also sold at one time Bentleys Rotherham ales.

--

Reight, it’ll soon be last orders. Let’s crack on

7. Mansfield beer. When I had dranked a few pints of bitter, I always had the feeling I’d ‘etten a big bagful of cooking apples. LOL

I’ve supped Mansfields at … but not all in one day:

Surrey & Fringe (Outdoors and Indoors) (later Surrey, then Graduate) – Surrey street

Howard (Hotel) (previously Tetley) – Howard Street

Golden Plover – Hackenthorpe

Hackenthorpe Social Club

Fairways Golf Course – Birley Lane

Trades and Labour Club – Duke Street

Double Top – Watterthorpe

Pike & Heron – Cansley

Fulwood Inn – Ranmoor

Little Mesters (later Burtonwoods beer) – Broomhall.

8. I’ve also supped Burtonwoods at:

The Wellington at Langsett Road / Wood Street. It was previously a Tetley pub, now the Hillsborough Hotel.

The Red Lion (previously Tetley) on Duke Street. Paul and Anne (?) Hodson managed the pub mid ‘90s.

9. Kings Arms – Commercial Street was definitely a Higsons pub, in my time til it cloised 70-71ish? Whether the beer was brewed in Liverpool or under license by Whitbread in Sheffield, I couldn’t say. It was not a Hammonds pub, unless before my time.

In this shot from 1968 you can see (magnifying glasses at the ready) on the right below the bank, a Bass sign, followed by the Higson brewery sign. That’s where the Kings Arms stood. Directly across the road is the Gas Company. A pace or two higher up from the gas place is a sign fixed to the wall. That’s the Gambit Chinese restaurant. I believe they got cloised down for having haif-a-dog hanging in the fridge / freezer. I hate to think what they had in the beer.

Anyroad, the entrance to the Kings Arms was a big revolving door. Inside, the ground-level had a full-sized snooker / billiards table. Up the wide carpeted staircase to the first-floor was a bar where ‘men’ of a different leaning sipped their drinkies. I enjoyed snooker so stayed downstairs. LOL. Kings arms was demolished 72-73ish?

I have also drunk Higsons, at Everton Supporters Club, in Liverpool (1973?), on the day I saw Liverpool beat Newcastle United 2-1. I was there for autographs, Liverpool, Newcastle, and waiting for Everton players returning from their match at Coventry (?).

10. Does anybody recall wetching the Strippers, stripping-off at Sunday dinner-time at the Dog & Partridge (Stones) Attercliffe Road, and at the Staniforth Arms (Whitbread), Staniforth Road? This was during the 90s. We usually wetched the first 3 strips (missed out on the fourth) at the Staniforth, then sprinted down the hill to the Dog & Partridge for last orders and more importantly the final strip. If anybody starts a thread about their memories of that time, then I’d like to do a detailed post of that time. This is also an invite for the strippers to post, they may remember me in the front row. LOL. I remember a bloke used to drive up from Mansfied every Sunday without fail.

11. Home Ales and Shipstones Ales have started brewing again, in Nottingham.

12. I started drinking in 1969 when I was fiveteen. I enjoyed to travel around the pubs in search of pinball machines. I once got fined £3 at Nursery Street Juvenile Court in 1971. My first ever pint was at the Foresters (Whitbread) on Division Street. I was with my work mates from Davy’s Fargate shop. Mine hosts at the Foresters were Bill and Maggie Stewart. Always smartly dressed they were.

Prost Kumpi.

Extra:

13. Some pubs my mate Cuttsie (here here here here here here and here) has supped in(n). This bus would have taken him part of the way to some of these pubs.

14. Stuff Ansells!!

Great stuff as always Zakes, well done! :)

---------- Post added 20-12-2017 at 22:02 ----------

Ansells were owned by Allied Brweries who also owned Tetleys. It follows geographically that Allied Breweries sold Ansells mainly in the West Midlands and Tetleys in the North. They had a keg beer which was Double Diamond and I think their lager was Skol.

John Smiths were owned by Courage including Watneys (take over 1970). We didn't see Courage pubs in the north as John Smiths were its representative up here. Their keg beer was Courage Tavern and their lager was Hofmeister (follow the bear?)

The Home Ales pub at Holmesfield I think was called the Travellers - opposite the Horns Inn (a Whitbread pub)

Whitbreads were a large independent. Their keg beer was Whitbread Tankard. Obviously their main bitter was Whitbread Trophy (TV advert featuring Stanley(?) - the beer that excels). Lager was Heineken.

Stones was owned by Bass Charrington. Their keg beer was Worthington E. Struggling to think of the lager they sold. Bass also owned Mitchell and Butlers in the West Midlands.

The Monopolies and Mergers Commission took exception to these huge companies controlling the brewing and retail of beers. Major changes to what we have now. Pub cos. large breweries and small independent breweries.

Is it better? Not sure. I have fond memories of all those beers but it maybe more to do with that at my age everything was better back then.

Great knowledge! and I agree, is it better?, maybe, maybe not. I love sampling various beers from small indie breweries, but I did enjoy going out on a "Wards night" with my mates in the late 70's. Having "Mansfield" in Crookes Working Mens Club, or, "Whitbread Trophy" in the Cutlers, always "Magnet" in the John O'Gaunt.

It was the Travellers at Holmesfield, thanks.

In the late 60's, early 70's Brewing was largely in the hands of the Big Six...Whitbread, Grand Metropolitan (Watneys), Bass Charrington, Allied Breweries, Scottish & Newcastle and Courage (Imperial Tobacco).

Things changed pretty regularly but in South Yorkshire, basically Bass pushed Brew 10 , Worthington E, and Carling plus Stella.

Whitbread pushed Trophy ( the pint that thinks it's a quart) ,Tankard ( the Stanley ad) and Heineken Lager....trying Hemeling and Heldenbrau later on.

Courage were John Courage Draught, Courage Tavern, keg John Smith's and Harp lager, replacing it with John Smith's lager...then Hofmeister and latterly Fosters.

Allied Breweries had Tetley's, Double Diamond keg, and Skol Lager..Arctic Lite, and later on

Castlemaine 4x.

Scottish & Newcastle had mainly Younger's Tartan Bitter and Harp Lager and also McEwans and Tennents.

Fortunately Grand Metropolitan weren't very well represented, they pushed Watneys red barrel , Trumans and Carlsberg lager.

There may be a few I've missed but to be fair they were almost all garbage.