Edmund road drill hall

Bullerboy,

Seem to think somewhere down the line Forest Marshman was a relative. Think he may have lived Grindleford . Correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to recall my mum and dad George and Peggy Marshman meeting up with Forest Marshman maybe 50/60's . Didnt he have a motor accessory shop?

Also believe a Marshman was the headmaster of City Grammer School , maybe 1930/40's . May have the dates wrong but someone may correct that one also?

Gary Marshman North Wales

Bullerboy,

Seem to think somewhere down the line Forest Marshman was a relative. Think he may have lived Grindleford . Correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to recall my mum and dad George and Peggy Marshman meeting up with Forest Marshman maybe 50/60's . Didnt he have a motor accessory shop?

Also believe a Marshman was the headmaster of City Grammer School , maybe 1930/40's . May have the dates wrong but someone may correct that one also?

Forest had a motor factors shop opposite the West End pub on Glossop Rd and I new him very well,in the 70s he ran around in a Ford Zephyr Crayford convertable and I believe he was a motor sport competitor in his younger days and he did live at Padley Grindleford.Ben his son did rallying and still lives in Sheffield up Lodgemoor way.

Floridablade

Were you with 3 div at colchester?

My brother was a sergeant in 3 div there, he was demobbed in 1955 after five years. Most of the time the Div was in Egypt.

hi floridablade. I lived in Manton st and was in the cadets at Edmund rd

drill hall but i was also in the Canal zone from 51 to 55 . in 3 div

what was your brothers unit and name .

len palmer

bullerboY

I vaguely recall that Zephyr convertible, since they were a rare item in the 70s' when I ran a TR6. I had last of the Mk2 Saloons 1965 to 1968, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cant say I came across Forest Marshman on the Motor Club circuit. I was a member of North Midland Motor Club in the 60s' , with meetings at the Old Hall, Hope. Being on the commitee , my forte was organising driving tests .

Although a poor member, I did compete in Sprints and Hill climbs in a supercharged Mini, but didnt come across Forest. Do you know which club he was in ?

Marshman,Sorry I don't but Forrest was an oldish guy when I knew him so it was maybe in the 30s,try to locate Ben it shouldn't be too hard.

bullerboY

Yes , I think you are right , he was an older guy. Think he had a moustache or beard. Maybe that Zephyr was a Crayford Cortina Convertible ?

I have not lived in Sheffield since early 1977, so a bit out of touch

Good thread guys, keep it going !

Anyone know if their are any archive records relating to the hall ?

I am particularly interested in the showing of Chrysanthemums ( is that spelt correctly ? ) prior to the war.

My grandad was SGT Axelby (Harry). So I understand he was in 271 RA (TA) based out of here & was a MT trainer. He trained people to drive lorries & usually (so I understand) he towed the radar down to Tenby or a Bowfors.

Be nice to hear others stories of the TA.

On 02/03/2006 at 19:24, egglou2 said:

my grandad was sgt clover(joe) who lived and worked at edmund rd drill hall up to clarkes taking over in 1975.my mum michelle(micky) worked in the officers mess.my dad mick was in 271 p.batlery with colin and stewart clover(my uncles),paul o`leary and the fieldhouse brothers.

Remember micky they moved in wen sheila Clark moved out 1975

my grandad was sgt clover(joe) who lived and worked at edmund rd drill hall up to clarkes taking over in 1975.my mum michelle(micky) worked in the officers mess.my dad mick was in 271 p.batlery with colin and stewart clover(my uncles),paul o`leary and the fieldhouse brothers.

On 19/02/2006 at 19:53, jauntyone said:

Around 1963 I used to be in the army cadet force at the edmund road drill hall. I was 15 years old. went on to join teratorials at 17, the regiment was 271 feild artillary.

anyone remember it being a drill hall or is there anyone out there who was in the cadet or teratroials. Would be nice to here from anyone.

Tony major Jimmy lambert 

On 20/02/2006 at 19:42, scout said:

I used to live at Duchess Road School. The back entrance was opposite the old Drill Hall. My grandmother used to wait on in the officers mess there years ago.

Wen I was at duchess Rd school about 1959 Mr proctor was caretaker and lived thear

Is micky still around